lizj

pat testing
« on: December 13, 2011, 04:18:08 pm »
just been on the hse web site and it appears I dont need toget my henrys tested-but last week a client did not want me use my hoover as it had not been tested. does any body else have theres tested??  tkanks in advance  :)

A P T

Re: pat testing
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 11:53:55 am »
Interesting one , Portable Appliance Testing is designed to keep safe you and your employees, but can a client insist on it ?  \Im not sure, but would be interested in comments as I would be inclined to tell the client that pat is for my safety, but then could they justifyably claim it's also for their safety ?

mike roberts

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 07:20:31 pm »
Hi Liz might be worth posting this in General section for more comments,
Surely it depends on the age of the vacuum ? If new it will not require testing ? ... maybe a getout for that office use new Henry ;D,

Years ago worked in engineering contracting on PC, company we were based at stopped us from bringing in mains chargers for CD players (u can tell how long ago it was  ;D) as they were not pat tested....

BDCS

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 06:34:36 pm »
There is no law to say you have to have a pat done but every employer has to ensure the work place is safe - which the tests are accepted as this has taken place as reasonably practicable. There are thoughts that within the apliances first year it does not need a test if it has a CE cert and you could argue this but really for a couple of quid and a happy customer I'd get it done. Get the customer to include it with theirs when they have theirs done next or bring it here and I'll do it for free  ;)

steve scotter

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 03:34:08 pm »
There is not a law that electrical items should be PAT tested every year, but under Health and Safety:- EAW and PUWER Regulations both require for work equipment to be safe and maintained condition.

Well how do we prove that, one way is by PAT and the retained records.

Steve Scotter
City and Guilds PAT tester
H&S Manager
Steve Scotter Tech IOSH
IOSH Registered Health and Safety Technical Practitioner
www. mould-detectives.co.uk
www. extreme cleaners training.co.uk

BDCS

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2011, 07:54:34 pm »
Steve do you do much pat testing ?

lizj

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2012, 05:34:29 pm »
thanks for all the comments-I did have it done all six of them. Cost £6.50 each.. I did n't expect it to be so much.!!! Thanks once again :)

BDCS

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2012, 08:11:39 pm »
Thats not that expensive but would have been cheaper with more tests - I did offer to do it for free  ;D