ChrisOfNottingham

basic ladder placement
« on: March 20, 2011, 07:18:41 am »
OK, very basic question here:

When you are cleaning a typical second story window, where do you normally put the top of your ladder - assume the windows are uPVC?

BTW, I'm thinking 'typical' means you can't reach across the whole window from beside the window.

bobby p

Re: basic ladder placement
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 07:27:02 am »
i always put mine on the sill .  i put the ladder top about so about top rung is above the sill (being careful that ladder wont touch glass) and ive 2 pieces of foam pipe insulation on back of ladder .these as good as stop ladder slip on a plastic sill .   

ChrisOfNottingham

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 08:15:52 am »
So if you have the top of the ladder up to 12" past the sill, does that give you enough height to do a  window like this

http://images.vebra.com/images/7291/010/type1/park20.jpg

or

http://www.expertagent.co.uk/in4glestates/%7B58CAF467-5D45-4EA2-9082-53970D23FAAB%7D/%7B28ecbfd2-1591-47e5-a02e-3b439f67db21%7D/Main/hl018882.jpg

it strikes me that I would need to be standing quite close to the end of the ladder to have any decent reach upwards, mind you I' not particularly tall so that doesn't help. I suppose what I'm asking is, when you are cleaning the window, where abouts does the top rung come to on your body?

Also, would that mean that the advice...

"Do avoid leaning your ladder on window sills because not only is it dangerous but it can damage the sill.

Place the top of the ladder just under the sill instead."

...is to be ignored? I was kind of thinking that it was unrealistic.

bobby p

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 08:40:48 am »
those pics you posted are exactly why i put my ladder on the sill ,rather than under .  i use a wagtail 14 inch squeegee,(extra reach over any other squeegee)  plus in my pouch i carry a pole tip that i can add on to the wagtail handle to give another 6 inch or so

i always have 3 ladder rungs above my feet , that then allows my knees to have a grip
  how tall are you Chris?  im 6,1  

i found there was a big fear factor when i first did the type of windows in your photo ,  i think other lads use bigger ladders placing them ABOVE the window/ but i prefer the shorter,lighter ladders myself  
   the top rung is somewhere near my waist and i sometimes find my free hand grips the very tip of ladder while other hand does the squeegee etc .   it probably isnt in the safe manuals but thats how i see most others on the street doing it

ChrisOfNottingham

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 09:07:21 am »
I'm only 5' 6" or 7" so I do loose out there. I think the 'advice' to put the ladder under the sill really confused me because the only other place is above the window but that isn't always possible - mainly due to angle restrictions and placing the bottom of the ladder somewhere suitable.

You are right about the  fear factor. I used to do a lot of rock climbing but standing four rungs down on a ladder when you get to the second story still feels quite exposed to me.  I think I will practice standing like that just using one section and then build up. Goodness knows what the neighbours will think - Ill have to find a bit of drain pipe to inspect or something :-)

Always having a mini extension pole in my belt kit is an excellent idea and one that I will immediately adopt.

Thanks a lot for answering such a basic question, I really appreciate it. I think this must be one of those things everyone assumes you know but I didn't and all my searching on the web only ever found stuff about angles and where to put the bottom of the ladder, not the top.

Added: Actually something else now makes sense, which was the idea of leaving the third extension on a triple ladder at home rather than carry it round all day if you know you won't need it.

bobby p

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 09:27:57 am »
+ on the second of your photos i would normally place my ladder on the outer corner pillars of that bay, ladder as high as poss , and just reach round to do side of the bay  and  praps with small pole tip extension on squeegee  to do main glass

in your other photo,the curved bay window job, it took me about 3 months to overcome the fear factor of those , but once id learnt the knack of how to pass the mop/squeegee behind my back to change hands i  was ok .  dont lean backwards while doing that !!

also recommend you have shoes with soft soles and an instep on shoe helps to grip

i also have seen a windie with a stand-off permanently fixed to his ladder about 2rungs down.this he places below the sill so allowing him to be farther off the glass,easier to squeegee  etc (not face to glass) and i considered doing that,but think the standoff would be clumsy and awkward to get around backs of houses when in a hurry 

ChrisOfNottingham

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2011, 10:08:59 am »
Thanks again for the help, I've just been practising on friend's houses so far and I think they all have the worst possible upstairs windows! Round my area there are loads of the ones like in the first photo and I was clueless as to how to do them, I just didn't do the ones in the middle.

I too considered a stand off but another popular thing round here is those decorative vertical tiles (like in the photo) between the first and second story windows that drop off as soon as you look at them, so not so good for leaning on. Also, like you, I could just see a permanently fixed one getting in the way all the time or else you have a detachable one but then you faff about carrying and fixing it on every time. I have got a spring fixed standoff just in case but so far I haven't found a use for it.

I like the idea of passing behind the back, I'll work on that one at ground level first :-)

I don't really get what  you mean about griping with your feet and soft soles/insteps - can you elaborate? I've been using walking boots with a rigid Vibram rubber sole because they give a solid base to stand on.

bobby p

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2011, 10:57:24 am »
i stumbled on the fact that soft rubber soles are better. they curve over a rung better ,like a parrot foot

imagine youve just climbed  up the ladder on that curved bay and about to wash the uppers .at this point the instep of my shoes is on the rung as i pull my scrubber out of the b.o.ab. - i then ease my feet backwards (a tad ) so now the ball of my foot is on the rungs ,then i raise my arches ,raise up my body  and scrub the windows ,usually scrub 3 uppers ,then put scrubber back down and grab squeegee  and clean and then detail the 3 windows .      i usually keep my knees touching the rungs as that then tends to lean my body towards the glass  

i usually place my ladders twice to do those 5 pane bays , first placing cleans  3 panes and the second placing gets the other two . ive never placed my ladder in the centre section  because that would then mean placing the ladder thrice .  one other thing,dont be tempted to try to find a grab point on the upper frame with your free hand -there isnt one !!   (i hold on ladder tip if need be ,if blowey etc )

AuRavelling79

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 09:24:33 pm »
Basic ladder placement.

I used to always use ladder mitts on mine and rest them on the cill.

Now I recommend you place your ladders in the scrapyard (£20 I hear) and get wfp, pronto.
It's a game of three halves!

ChrisOfNottingham

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2011, 07:27:19 am »
Basic ladder placement.

I used to always use ladder mitts on mine and rest them on the cill.

Now I recommend you place your ladders in the scrapyard (£20 I hear) and get wfp, pronto.

WPF is fine if you have a round already and are committed to it but this is a new venture for me and so far I have 2 customers, so I don't really fancy the investment in WFP at this point.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2011, 04:38:10 pm »
£500 can get you a pole, a back pack, 4 x 25L barrels, a DI cylinder and a water butt. Use it for the tops and awkward windows and provide a full service to your custies not just an 80% one.
It's a game of three halves!

ChrisOfNottingham

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2011, 01:11:15 pm »
£500 can get you a pole, a back pack, 4 x 25L barrels, a DI cylinder and a water butt. Use it for the tops and awkward windows and provide a full service to your custies not just an 80% one.

That's not a bad idea but I'm still not going to spend £500 based on currently having two customers :-)

bobby p

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2011, 06:36:33 pm »
chris,during this week iv thought of you when doing double bay 5 paners ,at top of ze ladder . your background  in mountain climbing will ensure you dont get the true wobblies  ,im sure  

another tip-try not to go up ladder  when binmen are emptying glass bottles into their truck /or when a co-op deliveryman is clattering an aluminium taillift  -both are VERY  unsettling noises

G Griffin

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2011, 07:51:38 pm »
chris,during this week iv thought of you when doing double bay 5 paners ,at top of ze ladder . your background  in mountain climbing will ensure you dont get the true wobblies  ,im sure  

another tip-try not to go up ladder  when binmen are emptying glass bottles into their truck /or when a co-op deliveryman is clattering an aluminium taillift  -both are VERY  unsettling noises

Good advice; avoid both those situations at all costs.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

ChrisOfNottingham

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2011, 08:16:03 pm »

;D That reminds me of how when you are climbing and you are feeling exposed and just about to go for the difficult crux move, somehow that is always the time that a cloud goes over the sun and the wind starts blowing.

Actually, my ladder is a shortish triple extension but mostly two sections is plenty for reaching the sill. What I've now been finding is that the runner for the removed third section makes a really good handle to hold on to. I haven't tried doing one of those tall upstairs windows yet but I've been surprised that standing with three rungs to go is not too bad after all and is quite adequate for a lot of windows even without a squeegy extension. I think like many things, the prospect of going up onto that 'last' rung is much worse than actually doing it.

G Griffin

« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2011, 11:11:38 pm »
NEVER STAND ON THE TOP RUNG!
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

bobby p

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2011, 05:40:16 am »
ive gone 2 rungs from the top (but only briefly) and theres nowhere to hold i promise you   you cant grab  the ladder tip  at that position .   so NEVER  do it !

another tip- wear a baseball cap with medium peak as when the peak tip touches the glass it tells you you are leaning in  too much .

ChrisOfNottingham

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2011, 07:06:53 am »
I put last in quotes because I meant last rung you stand not the actual last rung! - sorry if that wasn't clear. I'm still treating having three rungs above my feet as being on the 'last' rung.

George P

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2011, 11:01:08 pm »
your feet should be no higher than fourth rung from top,

ChrisOfNottingham

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2011, 07:09:33 am »
your feet should be no higher than fourth rung from top,

= having three rungs above my feet