madge

Re: Customers from web page?
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2010, 06:05:19 pm »
There's always one isn't there!

One that just can't understand or accept that there are still some good genuine honest people in the world that are willing to do others (yes even someone they have never met before) a favour without ripping them off.

Is it because they have no friends or relatives who would do the same for them?
Is it because they are just grumpy?
Is it because they actually believe that the more you pay the better it will be?
Or is it because they are jealous because they paid a fortune for their own website?

Your immature reaction really shows here greencleansolution!

If you read through the post properly you'll notice I said my son will do it in his 'spare time'.
Yes he has been involved with the internet since it began, but how can you to say "he is still charging £75", what do you mean by "STILL"? You don't know what he charged last week or even last year!

Is it rediculously low?
This is only your opinion - the opinion of someone who may have paid more for their website and can not comprehend someone else getting the same, something similar or something they require for their needs for a lot less.

As for being crap or offering very little we'll let Mr Walker be the judge of that! As he doesn't have to pay anything until he his satisfied - then he really doesn't have anything to lose does he?

Also to note: paying Google £500/£1000 and paying a web designer £500/£1000 are two completely different things!
Just to clarify I said "it was nonsense and couldn't possibly see how a £500 website could guarantee more customers than a £1000 website"...
The design of a website has nothing to do with paying Google!

It's obvious if you pay Google £1000 - assuming you are talking about Google's Adwords program (where a website owner pays for advertising) you are going to benefit more than paying £500. I just don't see where this comes into it as it was never mentioned in any previous posts.

On another note:
Why do people buy expensive designer clothing made from fabric so poor it has to be dry-cleaned only?
Why do people give to charities?
Why do people do volunteer work?
Why do we help the old lady down the street who is too frail to get out to the shops?
In fact why do we do anything without charging a fortune for it - are we all mad?

The fact is greencleansolution, there are people out there that do such things, whether it be for free or very little. Should you ever venture up north you'll find an abundance of them!

Adam P

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2010, 09:08:18 pm »
There's always one isn't there!

One that just can't understand or accept that there are still some good genuine honest people in the world that are willing to do others (yes even someone they have never met before) a favour without ripping them off.

Is it because they have no friends or relatives who would do the same for them?
Is it because they are just grumpy?
Is it because they actually believe that the more you pay the better it will be?
Or is it because they are jealous because they paid a fortune for their own website?

Your immature reaction really shows here greencleansolution!

If you read through the post properly you'll notice I said my son will do it in his 'spare time'.
Yes he has been involved with the internet since it began, but how can you to say "he is still charging £75", what do you mean by "STILL"? You don't know what he charged last week or even last year!

Is it rediculously low?
This is only your opinion - the opinion of someone who has obviously paid more for their website and can not comprehend someone else getting the same, something similar or something they require for their needs for a lot less.

As for being crap or offering very little we'll let Mr Walker be the judge of that! As he doesn't have to pay anything until he his satisfied - then he really doesn't have anything to lose does he?

Also to note: paying Google £500/£1000 and paying a web designer £500/£1000 are two completely different things!
Just to clarify I said "it was nonsense and couldn't possibly see how a £500 website could guarantee more customers than a £1000 website"...
The design of a website has nothing to do with paying Google!

It's obvious if you pay Google £1000 - assuming you are talking about Google's Adwords program (where a website owner pays for advertising) you are going to benefit more than paying £500. I just don't see where this comes into it as it was never mentioned in any previous posts.

On another note:
Why do people buy expensive designer clothing made from fabric so poor it has to be dry-cleaned only?
Why do people give to charities?
Why do people do volunteer work?
Why do we help the old lady down the street who is too frail to get out to the shops?
In fact why do we do anything without charging a fortune for it - are we all mad?

The fact is greencleansolution, there are people out there that do such things, whether it be for free or very little. Should you ever venture up north you'll find an abundance of them!

lol you say i am acting immature and you respond like that? tbh my points are entirely valid and most definitely need to be bought up as like i mentioned, what he is offering sounds identical (and i mean identical) to what scammers say, literlly word for word, "oh i'll do YOU the favour, you chosing me is doing you a favour" etc etc. it's true that offering a website that he could pay >£500 for, but instead pays just £75 thats too good to be true so how can you not expect people to be skeptical? seriously how can you not expect there to be someone saying "hold on a second, this sounds fishy"? 

now showing your age, you have massively jumped to an assumption that i paid for my website so can't comprehend your non sense blah blah blah. well i paid £0 for the website, and just £16 for one years hosting, and another £16 for 4 domain names, .org, .net, .co.uk, .com. so guess i am in a postition then to judge what has been said  ;D

the only thing i guess i miss understood was when you mentioned paying £500/£1000 wouldn't get any more customers as i assumed you meant paying an seo £500/£1000, not the website designer/developer.

yes saying it's rediculously low is my opinion and it's the opinion of someone who makes websites, not for a living but as a hobby and £75 is very low, for £75 you could get what at most 3 hours of some ones time and thats paying an extremely low rate of just £25, web developers can be on hundreds and are, as i know a heck of a lot of them. of course my opinion to say it but again what is being offered sounds far too good to be true, as what it sounds is as though you're suggesting your son will spend a lot of time on someones website, for just £75!  ???

do them a favour without ripining them off? so paying a professional web designer/developer who has been in the industry since it first started just £75 isn't ripping them (your son) off? and the other way around, charging someone £2000 is riping them off? i'd gladly pay someone £2000 to bring me in £100,000 work. who's getting ripped off again? are you suggesting that the work of say anytihng less then £500 wont bring in any work so has no value, hence the website creator ripped them off?

this thread is extremely funny as you have immediately gone very very very defensive, when what i said is very fair and needs to be said.

hey everyone, here is my opinion just in case it's missed, and i'm saying it not to harm your business, but simply to help you make up an informed decision. i think marge has gone very defensive because he knows what he is saying is too good to be true, and he (his son) is offering someone a website for £75 and all you'll get just £75 work or even less, a quick template, your text, and thats it. not a bespoke design that fits with your business. he doesn't want anyone going against what he (his son) is offering as they'll easily point out some very concerning points. could be wrong but thats my opinion based solely on how marge has reacted and what he has said.

after 15 years £75 wouldn't even be half hours work of a good professional web designer, and if your son is offering the website for £75 he may as well offer it for free. it's like right now me asking for £5 just 3 days cleaning work, i wouldn't bother with asking for the money and then i'd do them a real favour, as compared to what i earn, £5 is absolutely nothing for what i put in.

marge: any chance we can see your son's website? his previous work etc. would help people see his level of work and sell his service on this forum, which gets a good amount of requests for websites. might be good for him :)

hope this post is not misunderstood, i post only to help others from being scammed, not to say they will with marge's son, but it's to help prevent it just in case. imo though you will be scammed if paying just £75 for a professionals work of 15 or so years :( if it was £75 for someone who just graduated then it makes sense, they both get something out of it.

madge

« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2010, 03:06:01 am »
Look greencleansolution I'm not wanting to get into a slanging match with you I'm old enough to be your mother (Yes Madge is a woman's name) but as for being defensive, what do you expect when you have a pop at my son without even knowing him.

As for what scammers say I wouldn't really know and I fail to see where and at what point during the website building process (if my son were a scammer) he could possibly scam someone if the person doesn't pay a penny until they are completely satisfied and are happy with and the website up and running?

I JUST DON'T SEE WHERE THE SCAM COMES IN !!! (by all means please enlighten me).

I came onto this post offering advice about my knowledge and experience of websites and other business friends website experiences to the original poster and merely added to the bottom of my original post that I would ask my son about doing websites for other people on this forum, like yourself he loves doing them for other people and friends and would have his face stuck into the computer regardless of getting paid for it or not.

Yes I also understand why people would be sceptical about such a thing but such scepticism is clearly dismissed if they are not parting with any money until the project is finished and they are happy with it. If anything he could spend hours building a site then someone turn around and say they don't want it anymore! I don't see where the 'fishyness' as you put it, comes into it.

If you read my original post you will see it is not a tout for business for my son. He already has a well paid job and like I mentioned before would have his head stuck into the computer regardless. I merely thought that he may as well earn a few pounds doing something he would be doing anyway and I thought I was doing him a favour.

I never, at any point in my previous post, jumped to a "massive assumption" that you paid for your website I simply posed 4 possible questions as to why someone could be so negative about receiving such a service from a genuine person. This is why you came across as being immature!

I see from your forum name you are 21 years old and it honestly shows, my son is nearly twice your age and myself nearly 3 times (well 2.5 to be precise) my son as been involved with the internet, websites, architecture, graphic design and all the rest of it since you were 7 years old he also has a BA (Hons) degree in Architecture, City and Guilds in AutoCad to name but a few... Of course I'm going to get defensive about him - wouldn't your parents?

Of course you are entitled to your opinions - its a free country! But posting negative things about people you don't really know isn't fare!

As for proof of what he has done already well that is between him and anyone he his dealing with and I am sure that once he has finished Mr Walkers website, Mr Walker will be only too happy to post a link in this forum to it!

On another note it is very easy to misunderstand forum messages if you do not read them thoroughly and have an objective not subjective view of what people are actually saying.

It is so easy to misconstrue information as I found when taking a peek at your own website...
Some people could easily see you as a scammer as you operate 3 businesses from the same residential address in Guildford. Of course there's nothing to say that one business isn't run by you, another by your father and another by your mother but as you put it, "it looks a bit fishy!" Three businesses - same house!! Especially when one of them is a web design business!!!

Still I hope this clears up a few things for anyone reading this debacle!

And please... if anyone wants a website designing don't come to me, please see greencleansolutions above he does it for a hobby (misconstrued as free) and looking at their many post on this forum has plenty of time on their hands - Just make sure they use the spell check first!

Simon@ Clearview contractors

« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2010, 08:30:19 am »
Hi Madge, just to let you know I had a very constructive 20min conversation with your Terry on friday.  He comes across as a genuine and very helpfull guy.

I will be having a site or 2 built by him, just having to get images and content  to him.

Thanks very much for giving him my number Madge. :)

Adam P

« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2010, 12:37:08 pm »
what i don't understand is if madges son has been working on websites since the internet began why is he still charging £75 for a website? that's rediculously low for someone who has been doing this for over 10 years! he's either crap, offering very little (possibly a quick template with business name, what they do, and contact details), or feels some reason really generous to a random stranger he's never met (which is what all these bull**** sales people pretend to do but are really screwing me over)

Can't possibly see how your web designer / lecturer guy can guarantee more customers if you pay £1000 for your website rather than £500... That's nonsense!

how come? if i pay google £500 i'll get less visitors then if i pay £1000, if i pay an seo professional i'll get more visitors the more i pay as they'll be doing more work

Look greencleansolution I'm not wanting to get into a slanging match with you (thank god at least that'll mean there wont be another huge long post below about you getting really defensive and start attacking me when it's not needed :) ) I'm old enough to be your mother (Yes Madge is a woman's name) but as for being defensive, what do you expect when you have a pop at my son without even knowing him.

a pop at your son? when did i do that in my original post? when i said the following?

he's either crap, offering very little (possibly a quick template with business name, what they do, and contact details), or feels some reason really generous to a random stranger he's never met (which is what all these bull**** sales people pretend to do but are really screwing me over)

if so well i'm just listing what i think is being offered, one of which sounds like it's what is being offered, nothing was a "pop" at your son. if  isaid i'll do a full house clean of 10 bedrooms, 15 bathrooms, 20 kitchens, all for £75, people on here would immediately think i'm either going to do a bad job, or there is a chance i'm going to randomly be really generous and do a job that i should be charging thousands for, for very little because i "like" cleaning.

As for what scammers say I wouldn't really know and I fail to see where and at what point during the website building process (if my son were a scammer) he could possibly scam someone if the person doesn't pay a penny until they are completely satisfied and are happy with and the website up and running?

I JUST DON'T SEE WHERE THE SCAM COMES IN !!! (by all means please enlighten me).

see again you get extremely defensive which only makes people beleive more that something is wrong. you're extremely condescending as well and have been throughout all your posts towards me, when i asked a simple question. this is what is immature for someone who is 2.5 times my age. I JUST DON'T SEE WHERE ME BEING IMMATURE COMES IN !!! (by all means please enlighten me).

^^ see now that is immature and condescending. perhaps you're getting confused with the word niave maybe? or another one. not immature surely, i haven't started shouting around, attacking someone else when it adds nothing to the conversation. why are you attacking me by the way? if the subject was about a service i was offering someone on here, by all means go against me and help the user make an informed decision, but it isn't. you've decided to go digging as well to attack me, not just quick look at my website, but a real thorough one, looking for me address, looking at other businesses. hmmm thanks madge (a girl as you condescendingly pointed out)

Yes I also understand why people would be sceptical about such a thing but such scepticism is clearly dismissed if they are not parting with any money until the project is finished and they are happy with it. If anything he could spend hours building a site then someone turn around and say they don't want it anymore! I don't see where the 'fishyness' as you put it, comes into it.

just because no money is given away until the website is compelte doesn't mean the person paying isn't being scammed. £75 could very likely get just "Company name and address
What type of electrical work they did, Telephone number, and a picture of some electrical testing device at the top.
" on a free template and has very little if any seo. if this is the case (as i can't imagine your son would create a bespoke design) then the person would be paying £75 for something they could do themself, ask a lot of people on this forum and they'll say don't pay for it, it's a waste of your money, whats' the point when you can do it for free etc.

I never, at any point in my previous post, jumped to a "massive assumption" that you paid for your website I simply posed 4 possible questions as to why someone could be so negative about receiving such a service from a genuine person. This is why you came across as being immature!

this is what you said...

the opinion of someone who may have paid more for their website and can not comprehend someone else getting the same, something similar or something they require for their needs for a lot less.

Of course you are entitled to your opinions - its a free country! But posting negative things about people you don't really know isn't fare!

i know, yet you are going searching for some to post about me. can i see the negative thing i posted about your son in my original post? i said a list of 3 things, on of which is very nice, and only a possibility about someone i have never met. if it's untrue (which it could be, i clearly wasn't stating it as fact as i listed other reasons) then what's the problem?

It is so easy to misconstrue information as I found when taking a peek at your own website...
Some people could easily see you as a scammer as you operate 3 businesses from the same residential address in Guildford. Of course there's nothing to say that one business isn't run by you, another by your father and another by your mother but as you put it, "it looks a bit fishy!" Three businesses - same house!! Especially when one of them is a web design business!!!

wow, i honestly cannot beleive how amazed i am by you, when you were the first one to go on about how immature i was, and pretty much all i did was say that what was being offered sounds too good to be true.

And please... if anyone wants a website designing don't come to me, please see greencleansolutions above he does it for a hobby (misconstrued as free) and looking at their many post on this forum has plenty of time on their hands - Just make sure they use the spell check first!
wow again very condescending, "Just make sure they use the spell check first!". also their? their? their?

Daria Taylor

Re: Customers from web page? New
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2010, 03:45:45 am »

Can't possibly see how your web designer / lecturer guy can guarantee more customers if you pay £1000 for your website rather than £500... That's nonsense!

thats exactly what i was trying to get accross, but i guess what he was saying is that the graphical design and the structure of the website will be much better if you pay 1000 than 500 and any good company/web designed will charge that sort of money to create a good quality website to bring more customers, but thats only my guess and he may not have meant that  ::)

dash t