Adrees

Hello,
I am 17 years old just coming to the end of the school year (lower sixth) and I am interested in starting up a window cleaning business in my area. I came across the idea online and realised that no one currently offers that service in my area here in Slough, Berkshire as i havent seen any advertising, nor anyone actually doing it as i walk around the area. As the summer is coming up, I would much rather try to establish my own business and keep it running for the foreseeable future rather than work for someone else for £6 an hour for the summer.

Window cleaning is not something that i am particularly interested in, but its something which i have identified as a potential market which is achievable for me.

I came across this website http://windowcleaningcoach.com/ and have been using it as a reference to get a bigger picture about what this type of thing is all about.

The reasons why i wanted to make a post on this forum are:
1) Does anyone have any recommendations for equipment I will need? From what I understand from the website linked above I need: a squeegee, a scraper, a few microfiber cloths, a t-bar, bucket, long pole and ladder as the bare minimum. What size of ladder is needed for mostly 2 story houses? Would this be suitable? http://www.screwfix.com/p/lyte-trade-elt325-triple-extension-ladder-8-rungs-max-height-5-22m/19732

2) I don't have a car or a van and i am unable to drive. Because of this I am planning on only doing this locally where I am able to carry the equipment (i'm a pretty big guy so i think i should be fine to carry it all). Would this be fine for the short term until I am able to get a car or a van?

3) If i have the long pole, would i need a ladder? And the other way round.

4) I was thinking of charging around £15 per hour for my services. Would this be suitable?

5) Is there any tips that you have for me or any precautions because of my age?

In terms of marketing, I think i will be fine as I have a plan for that. I am planning on doing this as much as possible as i will have a lot of free time in the summer.
If there is anything big which i have not talked about please let me know.
Thank you for any responses.

Simon Campbell

Re: 17 Year Old Looking to Start a Window Cleaning Service
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2016, 10:55:21 pm »
First off every credit to you for having the initiative to a) go out working for yourself and b) getting advice before you rush out and waste money on equipment you don't know anything about.

I'm not a window cleaner myself but my advice is research as much as possible.

I would walk before I could run and start with the traditional window cleaning with a ladder, mop and squeegee, I think you need a decent sized round to invest in a pole especially if window cleaning isn't if particular interest at his moment.

obviously you want to earn £15 an hour but you will charge per house and work out how many houses you can do in an hour.

Be careful not to upset any existing window cleaners in this area though, just because you haven't seen thm doesn't mean there not out there .

But the best of luck in your endeavours

Adrees

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 01:17:40 am »
Thanks for the reply.
I wouldn't be able to start it for another 2 weeks anyway so I'll just do more research into other people doing this in my area.
Cheers for the advice.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2016, 12:58:06 pm »
Post in window cleaning section for more responses - that's where we "live".

Are you planning on this as a part time job to see you through further education ? If so - excellent idea. How much do you want to earn in a month? Or will it be school/college/ uni holiday work?

You could actually use a handheld trolley for all your stuff like yer granny used to go shopping with and then just carry your ladder. Better to be very steady and slow on a ladder - don't want you crippling yourself. Be firm about this - don't put your ladder on slippery decking or at awkward angles. Tell'em sorry - I can't do that window safely so I'll have to miss it out.

Why not target old folk in bungalows or ground floor flats - sheltered accommodation can work. You'll easily smack £15 an hour once you get up to speed if you keep it all close to home.

The good thing is you can pick up the stuff that a "professional" window cleaner won't want and you could even offer a long gap between cleans to suit your holidays or do one-offs.
It's a game of three halves!

Adrees

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2016, 01:35:46 pm »
I appreciate the reply. Sorry first time using this forum. I'll post it there but your reply has given me a lot of confidence. Thank you.

Adrees

17 Year Old Looking to Start a Window Cleaning Service
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2016, 01:39:00 pm »
Hello,
I am 17 years old just coming to the end of the school year (lower sixth) and I am interested in starting up a window cleaning business in my area. I came across the idea online and realised that no one currently offers that service in my area here in Slough, Berkshire as i havent seen any advertising, nor anyone actually doing it as i walk around the area. As the summer is coming up, I would much rather try to establish my own business and keep it running for the foreseeable future rather than work for someone else for £6 an hour for the summer.

Window cleaning is not something that i am particularly interested in, but its something which i have identified as a potential market which is achievable for me.

I came across this website http://windowcleaningcoach.com/ and have been using it as a reference to get a bigger picture about what this type of thing is all about.

1) Does anyone have any recommendations for equipment I will need? From what I understand from the website linked above I need: a squeegee, a scraper, a few microfiber cloths, a t-bar, bucket, long pole and ladder as the bare minimum. What size of ladder is needed for mostly 2 story houses? Would this be suitable? http://www.screwfix.com/p/lyte-trade-elt325-triple-extension-ladder-8-rungs-max-height-5-22m/19732

2) I don't have a car or a van and i am unable to drive. Because of this I am planning on only doing this locally where I am able to carry the equipment (i'm a pretty big guy so i think i should be fine to carry it all). Would this be fine for the short term until I am able to get a car or a van?

4) I was thinking of charging around £15 per hour for my services. Would this be suitable?

In terms of marketing, I think i will be fine as I have a plan for that. I am planning on doing this as much as possible as i will have a lot of free time in the summer.

Posted this in the FAQ section but was advised to post it here.

Rob clarke

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2016, 01:47:21 pm »
Wouldn't recommend carrying treble ladders about all day I'd go for a good double pair, and don't charge per hour charge per house, if you think it'll take 20 mins charge £10, have you got any experience with climbing ladders? It can be dangerous if you don't know what your doing, don't take risks if it looks dangerous then don't do it!! I know a few people who've come off 1 of whom is on crutches for rest of his life and another who walks with a limp now, and their lucky not to be dead tbh not trying to scare you just being realistic, hope this helps mate.

Rob

Tosh

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2016, 01:48:47 pm »
Where are you based?
*A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odorless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

8weekly

Before I started I didn't think there were many window cleaners around, but as soon as I started I realised how wrong I was. You will find this too. There will be plenty of window cleaners in Sluff.

Adrees

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2016, 02:41:05 pm »
Where are you based?

Slough in Berkshire

Spruce

Hello,

"Window cleaning is not something that i am particularly interested in, but .............."

That part of the sentence is a warning sign for me. My response is to forget it and find something you are interested in. If you were looking for a summer job window cleaning and said that to me as a potential employer, so wouldn't even bother to employ you. Sorry.

If you want to do this job you have to be interested in doing it. If you aren't you wouldn't last very long. To make this business work you have to eat, sleep and talk window cleaning. It has to be a focus or part of your mindset to begin with. Its lovely being out working when the weather is good, but will you have enough interest, even motivation, to clean in the cold winter months?

If you think the job is beneath you, then it is.

My son in law did it and eventually hated it. He doesn't do it any more.

If you went to the Bank and asked for a loan to start a window cleaning business, what do you think they will ask you?
They will ask you if there is a potential for this business to succeed in the target area. Then they will ask for hard evidence that there is a need for a window cleaner. Telling them you haven't seen one isn't good enough.

You have to knock on doors and ask people if there is a need for your services and would they be interested. Its called "Due Diligence." The results then would be tabulated for the bank to consider the feasibility of this being a successful business in the area.

-
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Pure Shine

Hi there should you decide that this is something you wish to get started with give us a shout at The Cleaning Hub we can help you get started with the equipment you require.

www.the-cleaning-hub.co.uk

VERNE

May be you should do something you are particularly interested in , then i would'ent be  particularly interested in cleaning windows for £15 per hour

nathankaye

I started window cleaning at 17 mate. Eventually gave up as i wanted a whole lot more money, that was 20yrs ago and prices were dirt cheap. After yrs in employment and a family to look after i left the stressful employment and went back to window cleaning and buikt my empire i have today. The truth is, i wished i had stuck it out when i was younger so my empire eould have built much earlier and i eould have several vans on go today. So my advice is make your mind over and then stick to it. Its not as easy as you may think to build a regular round. Even if you buy a round, probably loose half of it straight away (my experience is customers  stay with their window cleaner not just for price n quality but if they like the person).

Use box ladders and not light H frame laders. Titan ladders do deals with rubber feet attached to give greater stability and purchase some ladder mits. They will protect the house n sills and also stop u slipping sidewards.
Use an oblong bucket and 18" squegee n applicator. Descent pouches and belt as you will be carrying some weight.
Practice, practice and practice on your house, your nannas and family. People will see you and maybe approach for a price.
Price per house like everyone have been saying. Find out average price in your area and dont undercut as you will get yourself in some serious trouble.  Dont under price either or you will be tired n think its not worth bothering with.
For my equipment i used www.soapnational.co.uk
They will also give u advice as well.
All the best
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

SeanK

I started window cleaning at 17 mate. Eventually gave up as i wanted a whole lot more money, that was 20yrs ago and prices were dirt cheap. After yrs in employment and a family to look after i left the stressful employment and went back to window cleaning and buikt my empire i have today. The truth is, i wished i had stuck it out when i was younger so my empire eould have built much earlier and i eould have several vans on go today. So my advice is make your mind over and then stick to it. Its not as easy as you may think to build a regular round. Even if you buy a round, probably loose half of it straight away (my experience is customers  stay with their window cleaner not just for price n quality but if they like the person).

Use box ladders and not light H frame laders. Titan ladders do deals with rubber feet attached to give greater stability and purchase some ladder mits. They will protect the house n sills and also stop u slipping sidewards.
Use an oblong bucket and 18" squegee n applicator. Descent pouches and belt as you will be carrying some weight.
Practice, practice and practice on your house, your nannas and family. People will see you and maybe approach for a price.
Price per house like everyone have been saying. Find out average price in your area and dont undercut as you will get yourself in some serious trouble.  Dont under price either or you will be tired n think its not worth bothering with.
For my equipment i used www.soapnational.co.uk
They will also give u advice as well.
All the best

Excellent advice except for undercutting getting you into serious trouble, don't undercut because it wont win you the right
type of customer not because of how another shiner in the area might react.
When trying to suss the area prices be wary of customers who tell you that the last shiner was doing them for peanuts
and never let them talk you down.
You will be very lucky if you get your pricing right in the early days as its not easy, but if you find you have under priced them
don't be afraid to up the price later on.

Adrees

Thank you all for the advice. When I said I'm not particularly interested in it, I meant that I was not thinking of doing it as a career. Probably only for about a year if it goes well before I start uni. Maybe even keep it going if I go to a close uni. I was thinking of just going round door to door around my area and do a little survey of if people would be interested in the service, before I spend £300 on equipment. Thoughts? I've found some equipment online which I will post a bit later on.

robbo333

What will you be studying at uni?
"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

Adrees

What will you be studying at uni?
Hopefully psychology. Still decided where and going to open days etc

nathankaye

Cant go wrong with pulex handle and 18" channel and pulex hard rubber. Esp to get you up and running.
Unger water well T bar and  green n white sleeve 18"
Unger urgotec pouches and belt.
Pulex blue bucket on belt (essential)
A small microfibre cloth (from asdas etc) for wiping sills etc and get 2 grade A  scrims for detailing.
Box frame ladder n feet n mitts.
Oblong bucket and your away.

Also, dress smartly but appropriately. Your appearance makes a big impression/difference esp because of your age. As in, will you soon stop or be irregular if custy legit wants a regular cleaner. They (the customer) are trusting you to look in their windows, so make a good impression.

Dispite whatever feelings you have about window cleaning, if you persevere with it. The money can be very good. Whats the min wage for a 17yr old at mo?? You could prob earn that in 15/20 min per house till you improve technique, experience and adjust your pricing
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Richard iSparkle

Hello,
I am 17 years old just coming to the end of the school year....

"Window cleaning is not something that i am particularly interested in, but .............."

That part of the sentence is a warning sign for me. My response is to forget it and find something you are interested in.

To be fair window cleaning definitely isn;t something that I am interested in. I am interested in it purely as a business opportunity , and enjoy running a good service business which our customers are happy with. It could be any business.

On the other hand I love restaurants and cafes... i spend a lot of my spare time eating, cooking, buying food etc, but would hate to be in that business.

So I wouldn't be too worried about that personally.

Also I have to say i definitely don't eat, sleep and talk window cleaning. I love business and entrepreneurialism... but have minimal interest in window cleaning itself. So in y case I have designed my business around this, and to be fair I;m doing pretty well.

In relation to your original post, I would say you should be aiming to charge an absolute minimum of £10 per house, and upwards from there.

So plenty of market research looking how the guys on here price. go on their websites and see how they charge for different types of building. Plenty of us list our prices online so just copy those.

Alos don't believe that there are no window cleaners in your area. There will be loads. You just haven't seen them yet.

Good luck
iSparkle Window Cleaning

www.isparklewindowcleaning.uk