davey c

marble
« on: March 10, 2007, 08:52:57 pm »
I dont suppose anyone out there could tell me what the best thing is to clean a marble headstone with, Without using chemical cleaner is (the council will not let us use these in the cemetry because of the grass , flowers etc) I have been told to mix up bicarb of soda and water, mix to a paste rub in and rinse off   Does anyone know if this would work.. Many thanks Dave 
better luck tommorow.......

keith b

Re: marble
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2007, 11:41:48 am »
Davey,

Check out www.simplegreen.co.uk they do a range of biodegradable cleaning products.

Are the marble headstones caked in algea/moss? if so they may need a fungicidle spray of some sort.

take a look at www.mgcltd.co.uk

Tadgh O Shea

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 12:10:15 am »
I dont suppose anyone out there could tell me what the best thing is to clean a marble headstone with, Without using chemical cleaner is (the council will not let us use these in the cemetry because of the grass , flowers etc) I have been told to mix up bicarb of soda and water, mix to a paste rub in and rinse off   Does anyone know if this would work.. Many thanks Dave 
  Hi Dave i can offer you Beyond-kleen all in one kleen shine and protect, perfect and safe to use on granite or marble headstones, if you need any other help email info@jskcleaning.ie

Kind regards

Tadgh

Katy Radcliffe

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 06:06:46 pm »
This is not a usual household surface. You're basically cleaning a sculpture that is also part historical artefact. You screw up a marble shower, and insurance pays for resurfacing and the homeowner is only moderately inconvenienced. You screw up a headstone and the loss can be irreplaceable. Any living descendants may be outraged.

The Victoria and Albert museum has some good advice on their website about cleaning marble. Have a look there and even consider giving them a call. I think you'll find their conservation department will be happy to advise you. It's their passion and they regularly have to deal with the effects of centuries of inept cleaners on artefacts.