NWH

I only want it cleaned the old way.
« on: January 31, 2020, 03:42:25 pm »
Priced a job up today not an old couple probably in there 50s,she said what method do you use so I told her WFP.
She said the other guy used that it did a good job but he wasn’t here very long for his money,I said it makes no difference to me how long it takes my price is my price.
She said I’m not paying anyone to clean the windows anymore like that it’s too quick lol,she said do you know a traditional WC I said I used to but he’s changed jobs now he’s breeding unicorns,got in the van and off I went still a few idiots out there though.

dd

Re: I only want it cleaned the old way.
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2020, 03:52:56 pm »
If the other guy "did a good job" and she got rid, then you just can't win with someone like that.

Smudger

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2020, 04:15:45 pm »
Good job but customer has nothing better to do than put a stopwatch on you and thinks your earning £60 p/h

And Nigel, your right there are idiots out there ....

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

NWH

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2020, 04:51:59 pm »
She said the other guy did a good job but he wasn’t there long enough  I said but if he did a good job what’s the problem,I’m not paying that kind of money to go round the house like that even Superman couldn’t clean them that quick.
How long will it take you I said I don’t know yet about 45 minutes?,well I’m not prepared to pay that for 45 minutes work,I said I can see this is not going to work for me so I’ll leave it anyway thanks.
Do you know an old fashioned window cleaner I should have said yeah he’s down the lane on his bike adjusting his braces lol,that’s the first one I’ve had like that in a few years though,funny thing is when she saw me up the road doing another house she saw me using the pole and said it does do a good job doesn’t it lol,if that’s not Irish I don’t know what is.

Status Check

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2020, 04:59:04 pm »
True story. 

I had been running my window cleaning business a few years and was doing ok. Few vans on the road etc.  I get a call to go and quote for a large bungalow in a nice area. I go and meet the owner and he is a retired gent with a Bentley on the drive.  Quoted him £45 on a six weekly. "Yes great" he says. So one of the lads cleans the house. After the second clean I receive a hand written letter explaining that he had once had a painting and decorating company and he knows how much a non skilled worker should be paid.  He then goes on about how £45 to clean his house in under an hour ( more like 25 mins) was a complete rip off and It should be no more than £10.00 The letter had a complete breakdown of my supposed business costs.

Two years later my wife's father passes away and leaves her a sizeable inheritance. So we go house hunting and my wife decides on a lovely house which happens to be two doors away from the guy with the Bentley. This house is twice the size of Mr Bentleys house.

I drive my  van home every day and sometimes the lads fill up at mine and the guy sees us about three or four times a week. It makes me chuckle to myself every time I see him. It's priceless!

NWH

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2020, 05:10:30 pm »
Lol nice one that’s the sort of story I like hearing I did say we do have running costs with this way of cleaning it’s not like a bucket and squeegee,that’s not the point it’s still too much money for to little time,I said the price is to clean the windows costed in with getting here and to the next job etc equipment.
She was like a lot of my others down the back and beyond if you didn’t know the area you’d struggle to find it,the thing is I said where’s the other guy now then after stuttering she says oh he’s moved out of the area so all of a sudden alarm bells start ringing out,I’ll be honest they didn’t look like they’d been cleaned for at least 4/5 years.
Old rose bushes grown up all over the windows bamboo almost covering an old fashioned indoor pool,sometimes you’ve got to just laugh and jog on,if I’d had a really bad week it would have got me down it makes you realise how many good decent people we have as customers sometimes,it’s almost like it’s good to have the odd idiot like this every now and again to make you realise this.

robbo333

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2020, 06:02:28 pm »
I once cleaned a house (2nd clean) and when I knocked on the door for payment the guy opened the door, blatantly looked at his watch and then looked at me and never said a word! I knew he was implying that I had cleaned them quickly, so I asked him to come round with me and make sure he was happy with the work. We looked at all the windows, all the frames, all the doors. Some of the glass was drying so I showed him 'how it dries clean'. He acknowledged that I had done a good job and I asked him again if he was happy with the first clean and he said yes.

I contacted him for his next clean and he cancelled!

These days, the only comments I get are customers saying 'how hard I work'.

"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

dazmond

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2020, 06:11:21 pm »
True story. 

I had been running my window cleaning business a few years and was doing ok. Few vans on the road etc.  I get a call to go and quote for a large bungalow in a nice area. I go and meet the owner and he is a retired gent with a Bentley on the drive.  Quoted him £45 on a six weekly. "Yes great" he says. So one of the lads cleans the house. After the second clean I receive a hand written letter explaining that he had once had a painting and decorating company and he knows how much a non skilled worker should be paid.  He then goes on about how £45 to clean his house in under an hour ( more like 25 mins) was a complete rip off and It should be no more than £10.00 The letter had a complete breakdown of my supposed business costs.

Two years later my wife's father passes away and leaves her a sizeable inheritance. So we go house hunting and my wife decides on a lovely house which happens to be two doors away from the guy with the Bentley. This house is twice the size of Mr Bentleys house.

I drive my  van home every day and sometimes the lads fill up at mine and the guy sees us about three or four times a week. It makes me chuckle to myself every time I see him. It's priceless!

cheeky arrogant b******d......how on earth does he know your business costs?and to bother writing it into a letter!.....some people need punching in the face..... ;D
price higher/work harder!

NWH

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2020, 06:14:11 pm »
I’ve increased 10 this week all have said no problem thanks for all your hard work,the thing is 1 person like this can get to you it used to me a few years ago even though I’ve more than enough work then and now.
You can be having a great week money wise weather etc and it only used to take the odd person like this to ruin your week.

Stoots

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2020, 06:18:57 pm »
I picked up a new customer a couple of weeks ago.

Went round and started cleaning, nobody was in.

5 minutes later a car pulls into the drive, I said hello and she looked at me like I had just killed her cat.

What are you doing? She said abruptly.

I said sorry have I got the wrong house?  ???

Anyway she thought I was a traditional Window cleaner and wasn't happy I was using the pole.

Apparently her last cleaner used it and always left spots.

I talked her round, explained it all and said just give it a try, if you don't like the results  then just let me know.

Well she's paid me and not said anything so I'm assuming all Is good.

But I get this a lot, people wanting trad there must be lots of window cleaners out there who can't clean properly with the wfp.

NWH

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2020, 06:19:11 pm »
I actually have some customers that laugh when I knock because I’m very swift with the pole lol,comments like it’s better than it used to be for you isn’t it.
Some people are just horrible this woman had 4 cars on the drive all no older than 3 years upwards of 40-50k 1 of em about 80k,quibbling over a few quid in the end I wouldn’t have cleaned em for her for twice the price she just wanted to see me earn my money in her eyes,horrible individual.

dazmond

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2020, 06:24:51 pm »
i have to earn at least £13k a year before i make any money!thats £250 a week EVERY week of the year even when im not working,on holiday etc...some customers dont realise this....

Stoots

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2020, 06:29:44 pm »
i have to earn at least £13k a year before i make any money!thats £250 a week EVERY week of the year even when im not working,on holiday etc...some customers dont realise this....

13k in running costs?

dazmond

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2020, 06:41:53 pm »

13k in running costs?

everything...all expenses,income tax and insurance,sometimes it can be slightly more.....expenses are running at around £7k a year(leased van and £1k a year to heat my pure water every day).....im not moaning but its customers that are paying for it! ;D

im already notifying customers of a price rise in april which should bring in an extra  £2k a year(at least)......my last one was 3 years ago to pay for my monthly rental.....

KS Cleaning

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2020, 06:46:42 pm »
I actually have some customers that laugh when I knock because I’m very swift with the pole lol,comments like it’s better than it used to be for you isn’t it.
Some people are just horrible this woman had 4 cars on the drive all no older than 3 years upwards of 40-50k 1 of em about 80k,quibbling over a few quid in the end I wouldn’t have cleaned em for her for twice the price she just wanted to see me earn my money in her eyes,horrible individual.
This story is growing arms and legs by the minute😁  I’m popping out to the shop for some popcorn, by the time I get back I expect there to be mention of a heli-pad🤩

NWH

« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2020, 06:54:16 pm »
Not a massive house this one the pool makes it look bigger than it is I’m not bragging about anything I have quiet a few jobs that take all day inside and out,I was just eluding to the fact that they have money but don’t think they should have to pay a fair amount to get anything done.
I have some popcorn on my lap if you want some there’s a big soft piece close to the top of the box if you fancy,you better hurry though coz there’s a big hole right through the bottom of the box.

SB Cleaning

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2020, 09:26:10 pm »
I picked up a new customer a couple of weeks ago.

Went round and started cleaning, nobody was in.

5 minutes later a car pulls into the drive, I said hello and she looked at me like I had just killed her cat.

What are you doing? She said abruptly.

I said sorry have I got the wrong house?  ???

Anyway she thought I was a traditional Window cleaner and wasn't happy I was using the pole.

Apparently her last cleaner used it and always left spots.

I talked her round, explained it all and said just give it a try, if you don't like the results  then just let me know.

Well she's paid me and not said anything so I'm assuming all Is good.

But I get this a lot, people wanting trad there must be lots of window cleaners out there who can't clean properly with the wfp.
I have had this more times than I can remember , pretty much all the ones i have cleaned after some other poler has had a go have been happy , there are some right muppets about with terrible wfp technique and inexperience.

NWH

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2020, 09:56:01 pm »
Her gripe was the time it took him she said she wanted a traditional cleaner the results were good no complaints but wanted someone who took there time,I said to her jokingly did you want to see them earn there money then and she then said well actually yes lol.
This is a nightmare customer you would never be able to just get it done and go.

SB Cleaning

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2020, 10:49:47 pm »
Her gripe was the time it took him she said she wanted a traditional cleaner the results were good no complaints but wanted someone who took there time,I said to her jokingly did you want to see them earn there money then and she then said well actually yes lol.
This is a nightmare customer you would never be able to just get it done and go.
Some of the wfp guys I've seen working over the years wont be getting consistent good cleans with the "splash and dash" technique  ::)roll

NWH

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2020, 11:33:58 pm »
Not to start another hot- cold debate but your right especially when using cold with next to no rinsing,I’ve seen so many just a quick scrub and run with cold literally 1 scrub up and down.