Phil J

Re: Window cleaner from North Shields dies on his yacht
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2020, 09:38:31 pm »
That's sad Shrek, gotta feel for him and his family.

windowswashed

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2020, 05:52:30 am »
Such a tragedy. Foolish to sail without a radio, may have saved his life if he'd had one

Stoots

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2020, 08:08:15 am »
To be fair it wasnt the brightest idea to attempt to sail round the world as an "inexperienced sailor" but then I guess that's why he was window cleaner.

nathankaye

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2020, 08:11:09 am »
You still dont believe everything you read by the press do you? There will be some truths and plenty of assumptions and made up truths.
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Spruce

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2020, 12:34:28 pm »
To be fair it wasnt the brightest idea to attempt to sail round the world as an "inexperienced sailor" but then I guess that's why he was window cleaner.

Its a sad story but something just doesn't add up.

MSN reports;

The 42-year-old “inexperienced sailor”, from South Shields, Tyne and Wear, travelled across the Atlantic to the Caribbean and was last seen alive as he left the island of Grenada on 6 December.

A fellow sailor from Manchester, who met him on the Caribbean island, alerted the International Boat Watch Network (IBWN) to his missing boat after growing concerned about him.

Mr Brennan’s yacht had dirty fuel, no radio or mobile network and had lost its dinghy while crossing the Atlantic, claimed Boat Watch, which described him as a “somewhat inexperienced sailor”.

A search and rescue team spotted the vessel adrift with its sails furled, or rolled up, and no signs of life on board on three occasions between 19 and 21 December, the organisation said.

This must have been a planned short sail as he hadn't unfurled the sails. Engine failed due to dirty fuel. Unfortunately they don't often release the course of death after an autopsy.

A number of solo sailors have died at sea. There was a boat towed into Granada a number of years ago with deceased German sailor aboard;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IT7-cBmCUvE

https://www.nowgrenada.com/2017/04/german-national-found-deceased-drifting-yacht/

There was also a similar situation in Indonesia a few years ago.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

dazmond

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2020, 06:17:40 pm »
fake news...
price higher/work harder!

Slacky

Frankybadboy

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2020, 08:59:13 pm »
You still dont believe everything you read by the press do you? There will be some truths and plenty of assumptions and made up truths.
bit like CIU dont believe all you read on here,plenty of assumptions and made up truths by a select few  ;) ;) ;)

Missing Link

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2020, 12:20:45 pm »
Shrek, your post title says the deceased was from North Shields - my home town - he wasn't:

Mark Brennan, 42, from South Shields

He's a Sand-dancer and from the wrong side of the Tyne.
Pronouns She/Her/Madam/Ma'am

Shrek

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2020, 02:08:26 pm »
Apologies mr banzai , I misread the post!

RPCCS

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2020, 04:07:08 pm »
I was thinking the same, Im only about 12/15 miles from there, never heard the name mentioned bit know someone from nearby Jarrow, who may have heard of him.
Cheers Rich

RPCCS

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2020, 04:09:12 pm »
Shrek, your post title says the deceased was from North Shields - my home town - he wasn't:

Mark Brennan, 42, from South Shields

He's a Sand-dancer and from the wrong side of the Tyne.
A southern softie lol. All the same RIP to a fellow tradesman and north easterner.
Cheers Rich