vacman

FAO Suffolk Clean
« on: April 14, 2009, 08:26:43 pm »
Hi

I read on a different thread that you used to do domestic cleaning and i read the reasons why you stopped. I can't blame you at all. But what I would like to know is how the big franchisess manage to make it work, because i can't understand it myself. Also I wonder why it is still believed by people looking to go selfemployed that house cleaning is a quick and easy way to go. Any ideas??

martin19842

Re: FAO Suffolk Clean
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 09:33:09 pm »
hello vacman

may i provide some imput for you.

the domestic cleaning route, is a relatively simple business model, relatively low tech, but is a very positive cash flow business, therefore providing a vehicle to earn money.

the definition of earning money, then needs to be defined, is somebody working to earn a living to support their requirement, or is somebody looking to earn a living and then a profit on top of that. ??

domestic cleaning operations do pay, you just have to ensure that the operation is geared for that work.

regards

martin

vacman

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 09:35:58 pm »
Hello Martin

I agree with you totally, i've been there and done domestic in the past, but as Suffolk Clean pointed out, domestic work is very hit and miss. It was that thinking which caught my attention you see. And as you say, the income is subjective. Reading the details of some of the franchises, I see they are geared towards people who had big-salary jobs who are looking to do something different. The franchise could be cleaning or selling flights to the moon for all the difference it seems to make to the people who are interested in buying a franchise. That is to say that they aren't bothered what the franchise is so long as they own one.

I think it is short sighted of them to think the domestic cleaning thing will be a doddle.

martin19842

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 10:06:22 pm »
hi there

the franchise route has always been aimed at tht type of market place, the thought of purchasing a ready made business model, does oftern appeal to some people.

i know many people that have bought and operate very good franchises, in signs, and drainage services, but they have worked very hard to get where they are today.

most people know by now that there isnt anything for nothing anymore, as the current econmonic climate so vividly illustrates.

contract cleaing franchises are regularly marketted as a management franchise, the idea being that the  investor doesnt get their hands dirty, but purely manages the franchise, and in those circumstnaces it doesnt matter whether it is domestic or commercial, it is HARD work.

regards

martin

vacman

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 10:29:56 pm »
Hi Martin

Well this is exactly what I mean, you saying 'not getting your hands dirty' is just what i am getting at. Like if it was a driving school franchise  then the franchisee is still very hands on. But the cleaning franchises seem to be about high-flyers paying out a lot of money and employing staff to do the work for them. As you say, a managment role really. It makes me wonder if it can ever work if the person at the top has never done a days cleaning in thier life, so to speak. They are not exactly leading by example.

suffolkclean

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2009, 06:47:42 pm »
Hi Vacman - so sorry only just read your post must of missed this one I was in Glasgow at the time!
We have just taken on a regular domestic customer ONE at the moment to see how it goes! She is happy to pay a reasonable hourly rate. We did a full spring clean first which was a good bit of work then she's also a regular window cleaning customer too so it's Ok. Cleaners did their clean on Wed. without me and she was happy.

We're still not sure though if we want to go down this avenue again but we'll see the next time we're asked!? We charged £10 hr last time there's no way we'll do it at that. I had around 30 customers & no-one even wanted to but them cos we weren't charging enough.

Do you do regular domestic cleans?

vacman

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2009, 11:12:36 pm »
Hi

Yes, just domestic, but at the minute it is only myself and my sister doing the work (we got rid of the staff through what is termed 'natural wasteage' and left it there). Long story  :-\

suffolkclean

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2009, 07:58:32 am »
We've been stung a few times by staff, we we're too friendly & nice towards them then they shafted us to put it nicely. I have 3 cleaners (1 my next door but one neighbour) all on as & when required basis which works well for all of us as they have other jobs too.

They have to sign a confidentiality agreement too - so they can't work for our customers!!

Gilbert Sprous

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2009, 10:47:50 am »
I have had quite a few of my contract customers try to get me to do their domestic as well.  So far I have poilitely declined.  I am not sure that I would want to get into that right now or later for that matter. 

suffolkclean

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2009, 12:32:44 pm »
I think your very sensible Gilbert!

vacman

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2009, 01:30:04 pm »
I'm not suprised they asked - the obviously know and trust you.

As yet, i have never had a cleaner of my own, so can only go by what the clients say. And hiring a domestic cleaner who you'd trust to come in and 'do' seems to be a very personal thing. At present we have better client retention than ever before because its only my sister and me who are doing the cleaning work.

Gilbert Sprous

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2009, 06:33:53 pm »
That is exactly what they stated when they asked me.  They ususally say something in the order of, we know you and trust you  and it is kind of funny having someone come into your home. 

At present I am not planning on taking it on but you never know about the future.