NWH

Re: X line poles
« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2021, 03:18:22 pm »
It’ll feel better once some of that spray on carbon look  wears down a bit don’t worry.

dazmond

« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2021, 08:45:24 pm »
My nano 18 arrived today.

First impressions are :

Clamps dont look and feel as good as gardiners but maybe thats just because im not used to them.

The wall thickness seems to be thicker than the extreme but it is about 50g heavier coming in at 805 grams on my scales so that will be where the weight is. Im hoping it is stronger as it does look it.

Wont be using it for a while as need to get some new brushes and univalve so the full review can wait, looks decent though for the money.

I put some new pole hose and a new uni valve in my new pole...

First impressions are the pole is slighter heavier than an Xtreme,longer closed length(only an inch)the end cap looks naff and flimsy,the clamps seem fine....

Using it tomorrow for the first time
price higher/work harder!

NWH

« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2021, 08:55:49 pm »
And even after months of use you won’t be able to close it like a cosh like you can an Extreme.

dazmond

« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2021, 07:52:44 pm »
First impressions today and the pole feels good,slightly heavier than the xtreme  but still light,it almost sits in between an slx and xtreme...I also think its slightly more rigid fully extended at a virtually horizontal angle...

I'm not too sure about the clamps though,their fine for now but there seems to be very little room for adjustment when the pole starts to wear...

NWH

« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2021, 09:36:17 pm »
Like the Hi Mod Ova pole it feels as if it sits between the 2 poles you said and  slightly more ridged at height I agree,sounds like it’s made from the same grade.

Stoots

« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2021, 10:17:47 pm »
Yeh I'd say it seems like it sits between slx and extreme. Which I guess for the price is what you would expect. Interested to see how long it lasts as both my extremes snapped within months.

dazmond

« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2021, 06:43:01 pm »
I've had to put a wrap of insulation tape on my carbon gooseneck so the top clamp can grip it tight to stop it slipping as there's just no adjustment in the clamp left...

Shame about the clamps really as the actual carbon pole feels a bit more rigid and stronger than an Xtreme pole....

Personally I can't see the clamps lasting  6 months!

Stoots

« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2021, 08:54:36 pm »
I've had to put a wrap of insulation tape on my carbon gooseneck so the top clamp can grip it tight to stop it slipping as there's just no adjustment in the clamp left...

Shame about the clamps really as the actual carbon pole feels a bit more rigid and stronger than an Xtreme pole....

Ive seen them modified with the phantom clamps, doubt gardiners ones will fit...

Not used my pole yet

NBwcs

« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2021, 08:59:59 pm »

Thats exactly what i thought this time last year, so much so i rang xline to voice my concerns a couple of times and said i doubt i'll get 6 months out of it.. Spoke to a young lad who  recommended getting a new clamp (1) when the time came to it as he was sure the pole section would be ok. I was sceptical (and have been all year) but here we are a whole year later and i've still got the original clamps on, i expect clamp 1 to need changing come the new year so 13months out of it. and its been in constant use. As i said on a previous post, i fitted the new clamp just to see if it would make a difference and there's a good 3mm of adjustment room so hoping now to get several more months out of the pole barring mishaps. The pole definetely doesn't wear down as fast as Gardiners poles (Cant comment on the xtreme) and hence you don't need to adjust it so often. Flush it through regularly, ptfe spray it once a month and it'll be fine Daz. Better to to changing an £8 clamp which is a 2 min job once a year than having to buy replacement sections for a broken xtreme imo for an already expensive pole. It'll be interesting to see how you and Stoots feel about it in a years time as you can both give an "informed"opinion on how they compare having used both. Have to say i love using it, i expected it to be a power puff of a pole given its in the same bracket as an xtreme but really surprised at how strong it feels.

dazmond

« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2021, 08:25:08 am »
Time will tell.....the pole also feels quite stiff and jerky when extending the sections,ive tried loosening the clamps a bit but they don't grip properly then..it'll probably be smoother when the pole starts to wear

NWH

« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2021, 09:52:08 am »
And once it does wear the clamps won’t grip my Ova pole didn’t slide easily because the sections were so tight,now it’s worn the clamps really need doing up it’s a great design though no spinning every pole tbh should have that feature so it doesn’t spin solves a lot of problems.

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2021, 04:25:24 pm »
And once it does wear the clamps won’t grip my Ova pole didn’t slide easily because the sections were so tight,now it’s worn the clamps really need doing up it’s a great design though no spinning every pole tbh should have that feature so it doesn’t spin solves a lot of problems.

Gardiner smart clamps don't spin if you replace the little springs once in a while.👍
Comfortably Numb!

Michael Peterson

« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2021, 06:21:29 pm »
i never thought of new little springs should i do this ?

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2021, 07:00:48 pm »

Yes, it makes smart clamps smart again. I had a spinning section I was convinced was too worn, new spring and working like new again.👍
Comfortably Numb!

Michael Peterson

« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2021, 06:28:05 am »
thanks man ill get some of those

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2021, 08:08:45 am »
thanks man ill get some of those

A little drop of 3 in 1 oil (or similar) when you put them too.👍
Comfortably Numb!

Stoots

« Reply #56 on: December 07, 2021, 06:20:15 pm »
So i used the 18ft nano for the first time today.

Coupled it with an extreme sill brush and away i went.....

First thing i noticed was the clamps are more awkward than gardiners, with the opening mechanism, further round the pole you either have to twist the pole to use your thumb or use your fingers instead. Second thing is the pole is very grippy on the base section, my hands didnt slide over it easily with gloves on, something i didnt like.

The sections dont slide out that easily, you have to pull them out, i messed with the clamps but didnt solve it. Also when collapsing the pole it doesnt drop as easy you have to almost pull the pole back in.

After using for about 7 houses i switched over to my extreme to reach some 3 storeys, i was expecting it to feel heavier instantly (its a 25ft with an ultimate brush and number 1 section is from an slx) but tbh it didnt feel much different....

As soon as i extended the extreme i knew the clamps were much better, you can throw the pole out it doesnt need any effort unlike the nano. Also open the clamp and the pole drops sharply, the nano doesnt. Clamps on the gardiners are faster to use and the pole just felt better.

I then went back to the nano and this confirmed my thoughts, infact when you extend the pole as far as it will go the clamps actually jam and you have to really push to collapse it.

Once id gone back to the extreme again for another job i didnt even bother going back to the nano for the rest of the day, it felt kind of pointless.

So my conclusion, just as i expected before i ordered one, is that the clamps are dog turd. Actually thats unfair they arent bad, certainly not the worst ive used, they are just ok but not a patch on gardiners or phantom clamps.

I have an old phantom pole in the shed, i think im going to try and put the clamps on the nano to see if they fit, if they do i reckon ive got a nice pole. If they dont i might stick it on ebay  :) Reason i bought it was to improve upon my extreme 25 for smaller houses in terms of being lighter and easier to use but i dont think it achives this so its kind of pointless.

If i had never used an extreme i would say its a very good pole but NWH was right this time im afraid  ::)roll

Simon Trapani

« Reply #57 on: December 08, 2021, 05:27:01 am »

Yes, it makes smart clamps smart again. I had a spinning section I was convinced was too worn, new spring and working like new again.👍

Replace the delrin shims whilst there too. Makes it work almost like new. I wouldn’t put any oil on it though.

NBwcs

« Reply #58 on: December 08, 2021, 09:00:28 am »
So i used the 18ft nano for the first time today.

Coupled it with an extreme sill brush and away i went.....

First thing i noticed was the clamps are more awkward than gardiners, with the opening mechanism, further round the pole you either have to twist the pole to use your thumb or use your fingers instead. Second thing is the pole is very grippy on the base section, my hands didnt slide over it easily with gloves on, something i didnt like.

The sections dont slide out that easily, you have to pull them out, i messed with the clamps but didnt solve it. Also when collapsing the pole it doesnt drop as easy you have to almost pull the pole back in.

After using for about 7 houses i switched over to my extreme to reach some 3 storeys, i was expecting it to feel heavier instantly (its a 25ft with an ultimate brush and number 1 section is from an slx) but tbh it didnt feel much different....

As soon as i extended the extreme i knew the clamps were much better, you can throw the pole out it doesnt need any effort unlike the nano. Also open the clamp and the pole drops sharply, the nano doesnt. Clamps on the gardiners are faster to use and the pole just felt better.

I then went back to the nano and this confirmed my thoughts, infact when you extend the pole as far as it will go the clamps actually jam and you have to really push to collapse it.

Once id gone back to the extreme again for another job i didnt even bother going back to the nano for the rest of the day, it felt kind of pointless.

So my conclusion, just as i expected before i ordered one, is that the clamps are dog turd. Actually thats unfair they arent bad, certainly not the worst ive used, they are just ok but not a patch on gardiners or phantom clamps.

I have an old phantom pole in the shed, i think im going to try and put the clamps on the nano to see if they fit, if they do i reckon ive got a nice pole. If they dont i might stick it on ebay  :) Reason i bought it was to improve upon my extreme 25 for smaller houses in terms of being lighter and easier to use but i dont think it achives this so its kind of pointless.

If i had never used an extreme i would say its a very good pole but NWH was right this time im afraid  ::)roll

Interesting to hear from someone who has both poles but really Stoots you've got to give it more than 5 mins before writing it off. The stiffness you describe wears off after a short time of use its just new, all poles are bit like that to start, it will glide just fine in a while once its worn in. I agree Gardiners clamps are better in as much as they last longer with more adjustment but honestly find the nano clamps more user friendly, when i use my slx after using the nano i feel the gardiners clamps are much more "clumsy" to use, its purely about what your used to as i never thought that about the slx clamps before using the nano. if you've been using other makes then theres always a period of adjustment whilst you get used to it. Itll be interesting if you do fit other makes of clamps to hear how you get on, i love the nano but its annoying that the little finishing touches let it down like the end caps which must surely be a cheap fix.

"further round the pole you either have to twist the pole to use your thumb or use your fingers instead. "    i dont get what you mean by this, sounds like you havn't alined the brushhead with the clamps, if they're all lined up you shouldn't be twisting the pole .

NBwcs

« Reply #59 on: December 08, 2021, 01:21:09 pm »
Just to slightly modify the last post, it will glide better in time as it wears but probably won't go into free fall like a used Gardiners pole does. I can see that being slightly less attractive on your bigger poles but not a problem on an 18 or 25footer. I find when a Gardiners pole is retracting that fast I'm having to adjust the clamp fairly frequently but obviously takes less time to retract. Not a problem for me on a smaller pole.