Small but perfectley formed

Oval poles
« on: March 23, 2018, 07:16:01 pm »
Has anyone  tried these oval poles do you think they will be better than round poles .?
Spit and polish

bobplum

Re: Oval poles
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2018, 08:15:01 pm »
Has anyone  tried these oval poles do you think they will be better than round poles .?

a few cleaners on the facebook groups have bought them, i think one hates it :(...bit too early maybe for opinions and views ??

M & C Window Cleaning

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2018, 09:37:37 pm »
Many years back I tried a three sided one. Only thing I remember about it was how quick it wore out.
We have a choice! We can do one or the other, the opposite, both, or neither depending on which way the wind is blowing.

Marc Stock

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2018, 10:57:06 am »
It makes me laugh it really does.

Oval poles will wear quicker and bind up on the edges.

This is because there is a smaller area of diameter to take the wear, this concentrates the wear in one place more than the other.

Oval, triangle, box section, in fact any shape that has edges is a bad choice for a pole in terms of wear, as the sliding action will quickly bind up.

Why do you think that pistons in an engine that slide up and down in a cylinder are round?

They tried oval pistons once, didn't last anywhere near the time of normal pistons do.

Honestly there is so much rubbish out there for window cleaners to buy, its embarrassing.

zesty

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2018, 01:59:42 pm »

This is because there is a smaller area of diameter to take the wear, this concentrates the wear in one place more than the other.

Oval, triangle, box section, in fact any shape that has edges is a bad choice for a pole in terms of wear, as the sliding action will quickly bind up.

Why do you think that pistons in an engine that slide up and down in a cylinder are round?

They tried oval pistons once, didn't last anywhere near the time of normal pistons do.

Honestly there is so much rubbish out there for window cleaners to buy, its embarrassing.

Plus 1.

The other issue is you can’t rotate the pole sections to create even wear. Unlike a round pole.

To be honest, there are a lot of window cleaners who have made window cleaning there hobby. It’s for that reason they still buy this rubbish.

windowswashed

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2018, 07:51:44 pm »
The oval shape would fit in the palm of hand more  comfortably surely, especially the wider diameter, longer reach poles. Need to consider health issues and not just cost as we all get older in this game.

Plankton

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2018, 02:04:19 am »
I've said it before and it won't be the last.

It's like the golf industry.... Invent some new crap that gullible people will buy to improve there game!

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2018, 08:41:30 am »

Ah, oval pistons, that was the Honda NR750- RC40......... you're right, it never lasted beyond that very limited and rare model!!
Comfortably Numb!

Walter Mitty

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2018, 12:57:55 pm »
I'm wondering if there might be some mileage in hexagonal poles :)
Works for bees.
Maybe call it the Honeytrap and hope it doesn't stick.

p1w1

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2018, 06:54:31 pm »
I'm wondering if there might be some mileage in hexagonal poles :)
Works for bees.
Maybe call it the Honeytrap and hope it doesn't stick.
Ionics did them about 15 years ago, was my first pole.

P @ F

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2018, 08:18:41 pm »
I had a GF extender 18 once bright orange from Varitech .
It was almost triangular in shape and span as it came down ,it was like 2 blokes had grabbed an end each and twisted in opposite directions ,  wore out real quick and after a point would jam up , i assume this is the binding spoken of .
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !