drive surgeon

why do custies ask "how long will it take"?
« on: February 16, 2010, 12:18:11 pm »
hi guys. when i give a quote the custies always ask how long will it take?

is this because they want to know that they are not paying to much for a job that takes not very long?  are they just working out how much you are charging per hour?

i always wonder why they ask?

its not just because they are busy and want to know how long it will take to fit in their plans.   ???

Pristine Clean

Re: why do custies ask "how long will it take"?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 12:56:45 pm »
Yes thats one of the exact reasons. "They work out how much you are on Per Hour".

They dont always take into account your over heads like insurance, travel time, use of chemicals, wear n tear on machines, your van. The list is endless.

We priced a up for some landscaping work the other day. The price came out around the £30,000 mark. They also asked how long it would take, how many staff on site.

They in there own mind no matter wether the customer is residential or commercial all have some price in mind.

1. A Budget
What they want to spend

2. A reasonable figure
In their budget the generally have a +- figure this allows for them to assertain a reasonable figure including profit.

3 Time scale
This gives then their formula -  works out your day rate or hourly rate

4 Averge cost of materials
All jobs have materials generally - so they have a guide for this. No matter what industry you are in they can get a guide to how much this comes to. Either in per square metres or feet per bottle.

Depending on the job they work out if the price is reasonable to the skill level that is required.

Cleaning - skill level generally very basic
Electricial - Skill level - High - people could get a shock or even fatal
Doctors - 7 years study etc skill level very high. You save lives also have whats known as respect.

The final judgement is if they like you. if they like you, you are on to a winner and even if you were a little higher they are more likly to favour you.

ill add here a few months back I needed a new boiler. We had an old back boiler. So needed it relocated.

We called in British gas. Why? They are a big company. Name brand. So they should know what they are doing.

Price - £5000.

I already had a price in mind. I also worked out what the boilers would cost as well.

Now I had a price in mind of £2000. I also told them this after the quotation.

I also asked how long they would be on site. Reply 2 days.

I got another quote in from a local one man band. Great service. £1700.

I  said yes even before he finished printing the quote. Onsite 2 days.

Some companies just RIP you off.  I also do not need the extra garbage about "Our service is better , support 2nd to none"

I get this rubbish from cleaning suppliers. I know when I am being ripped off.

Dave
"You have to except that some days you are the statue and other days you are a pigeon"

drive surgeon

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 01:50:35 pm »
thanks dave thats a great reply  ;)

The Great One

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 02:04:16 pm »
Yes thats one of the exact reasons. "They work out how much you are on Per Hour".

They dont always take into account your over heads like insurance, travel time, use of chemicals, wear n tear on machines, your van. The list is endless.

We priced a up for some landscaping work the other day. The price came out around the £30,000 mark. They also asked how long it would take, how many staff on site.

They in there own mind no matter wether the customer is residential or commercial all have some price in mind.

1. A Budget
What they want to spend

2. A reasonable figure
In their budget the generally have a +- figure this allows for them to assertain a reasonable figure including profit.

3 Time scale
This gives then their formula -  works out your day rate or hourly rate

4 Averge cost of materials
All jobs have materials generally - so they have a guide for this. No matter what industry you are in they can get a guide to how much this comes to. Either in per square metres or feet per bottle.

Depending on the job they work out if the price is reasonable to the skill level that is required.

Cleaning - skill level generally very basic
Electricial - Skill level - High - people could get a shock or even fatal
Doctors - 7 years study etc skill level very high. You save lives also have whats known as respect.

The final judgement is if they like you. if they like you, you are on to a winner and even if you were a little higher they are more likly to favour you.

ill add here a few months back I needed a new boiler. We had an old back boiler. So needed it relocated.

We called in British gas. Why? They are a big company. Name brand. So they should know what they are doing.

Price - £5000.

I already had a price in mind. I also worked out what the boilers would cost as well.

Now I had a price in mind of £2000. I also told them this after the quotation.

I also asked how long they would be on site. Reply 2 days.

I got another quote in from a local one man band. Great service. £1700.

I  said yes even before he finished printing the quote. Onsite 2 days.

Some companies just RIP you off.  I also do not need the extra garbage about "Our service is better , support 2nd to none"

I get this rubbish from cleaning suppliers. I know when I am being ripped off.

Dave

Hi dave

had the same with BG a few years back.

Needed a new boiler, £5000 was the reply, no survey or anything, almost like an automatic response.

Once I had stopped laughing in his face, I said no thanks. Ended up buying a boiler for £500 and installed for £450 and it still works like a charm 4 years later.

Regards

Martin 8)

Pristine Clean

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 02:52:29 pm »
Hi Martin,

Yes that what I did, Just laughed. He even asked me why am I laughing. I said "Do you relise how much profit you are making?"

His reply was on every job we make £125.00 - I told him I was not born yesterday and asked him to leave.

If my boiler just needed replacement and not needed to be moved it would have only cost me about £500 quid as well.

Cheers

Dave
"You have to except that some days you are the statue and other days you are a pigeon"

BDCS

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 03:37:59 pm »
I think you need more confidance in the value for money service you offer - the price quoted is to achieve a standard for the area to be cleaned. People only need to know how long as most like or need to be there - most people like as little disruption as possible. What difference does it make what your hourly rate is? you give them  the price and they say yes or no. I have a portfolio folder and they see my standards before I quote

The Great One

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 06:20:00 pm »
Yep agree with that, although some people will balk if they figure out that your earning per hour what they earn in a day.

just say, it depends, the faster and more efficient we are the quicker we get finished.

Regards

Martin 8)