Cleaning Resource

who`s got top spot on google?
« on: June 19, 2007, 03:22:58 pm »

Google is doing my head in I`m up and down it like a yoyo, I have the number one spot on yahoo and most of the other main engines, on yahoo you only have to type cleaning services and i`m on the first page and it`s constant. Google on the other hand goes from 1st to 58th and back again over the course of a couple of months.

I understand that the engines use algorithms to determine your ranking and therefore have come to the conclusion that google must have a set of algorithms they use in rotation.

for this reason I am thinking of building 3 or 4 duplicate websites working to the different rules that the algorithms use. The end result hopefully being, that which ever algorithm Google are using one of my sites will match and therefore get top spot.

I was just wondering if anyone else has done this or can offer some more insight into it before I go and spend ages doing my new sites. ;D

sohoit

Re: who`s got top spot on google?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 07:06:37 pm »
Hi Gleamservices

Just a small pointer regarding your website and google.  One of the SEO tips is to ensure your site has valid html markup and structure.  On a quick look at your site your home page has 29 validation errors.  I would start by looking at these and ensuring the entire site validates against the various standards. Also do you have a google sitemap for your site?

If you require any assistance please feel free to contact me directly.
Regards
Jayson
----------------------------------
Computer Cleaning
IT Consultancy
Web Design & Hosting
Portable Appliance Testing
www.soho-it-solutions.co.uk

Spursboy1972

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 08:11:18 pm »
Jayson

I have checked out your website and like what I see. Please can you contact me with a view to designing and hosting.

Thanks

Tony
07917 623633
Clear Vision~"The Difference is Clear"

Southampton- Hampshire

martin19842

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2007, 07:45:52 am »
hi there

if you open google, and then in the search box type "site:gleamservices.co.uk" it will list the indexed pages that google knows about, there are 36 results.

therefore you are doing reasonably well.

regards

martin

Cleaning Resource

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2007, 12:47:49 pm »
I been neglecting my site for a while cos I been to busy working,  I have got a site map although it needs updating,

I got a program to run my html through to ensure it is w3c compliant, but I keep putting it off.

What I`m trying to find out is if it is possible to hold the no1 spot on google consistently or if I just got to accept that it goes up and down.

sohoit

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2007, 01:21:21 pm »
I would come to terms with not holding it, as things are forever changing in the SEO world.
Regards
Jayson
Computer Cleaning
IT Consultancy
Web Design & Hosting

Cleaning Resource

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2007, 01:57:37 pm »
thats not the answer i was hoping for, do you not think it would be possible if I built separate sites using different algorithms for each one?

sohoit

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2007, 02:03:55 pm »
thats not the answer i was hoping for, do you not think it would be possible if I built separate sites using different algorithms for each one?
When you mention different algorithms what are you referring too?
Regards
Jayson
Computer Cleaning
IT Consultancy
Web Design & Hosting

sohoit

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2007, 02:10:18 pm »
I have just take another look at your main site and noticed that on the main index page your site fails the html validation.  I would strongly advise anyone with a business web site to ensure that their site validates.  May i ask why you are using to create your web site? As most products now have built-in validation features to help you.

Also what keywords are you entering into the search engines when you get high ratings etc, as it may be that you need to change these.  Is your sitemap Google complaint?
Regards
Jayson
Computer Cleaning
IT Consultancy
Web Design & Hosting

Cleaning Resource

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2007, 04:07:57 pm »
I built the site using an online web builder tool that come with my hosting package
and as I`ve learn t a bit more I now just edit the html direct, the problem was that the original site builder program that I used just left the html in a jumble which made it a night mare for me to edit so I started of tidying it manually resulting in the errors in my coding, I`ve now got a program that I can just enter the html document and it sorts it all out for me and makes sure its w3c complient I just gotta get round to doing it.........

When I talk about algorithms, I mean the set of rules google use to determine your rankings, Ie:
keyword density
number of one way links
number of related links
number of non related links
page rank of the sites linking to you
weather it is a .gov or other important domain linking to you
number of reciprocal links
number of internal links
age of site
size of site
amount of hits site receives
amount of actual visits site receives
anchor text
keywords
Title
domain name
and the list goes on and on and on.........................

due to conflicts in the sets of rules they use(the above list)it would make it impossible for any one site to fulfill all of the requirements to the maximum.

so this is what is making me think that by having a number of sites I could cover the requirements of all the different algorithms they use.

My keyword density is at 2- 3.5 for all my main keywords so I know they are fine as that is the recommended amount from google. (although there would be no reason they couldn`t change that in different algorithms)

my site map is google complient but like I say it needs updating.

sohoit

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2007, 04:28:04 pm »
Hi gleamservices
I can now see that you understand whats involved in getting good SEO, but your idea of having separate sites for different engines seems a little extreme.  Most companies have a single site and optimise that for google and let the other SE follow on.
Regards
Jayson
Computer Cleaning
IT Consultancy
Web Design & Hosting

*Chris Browne

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2007, 04:34:04 pm »
Just typed in "office cleaning solihull" and got five mentions on the first page ;)  not done a lot to my site...and i am scared to alter it now ;D

Chris

sohoit

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2007, 04:50:23 pm »
On taking a quick look it seems that you are mentioned via other sites and not directly from your own domain-name.  Looking at your domain name via your profile, you have still to upload your site.  Is you site: http://www.imagecleaning.org/ ?
Regards
Jayson
Computer Cleaning
IT Consultancy
Web Design & Hosting

Cleaning Resource

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2007, 12:57:43 pm »
I`m gonna start building some new sites next week after I`ve moved hse, I`ll  let you know if it works ;D

J. Deans

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2007, 11:01:22 am »
I can see where you are coming from. But it would be like putting seperate adds in yellow pages under different headings for every cleaning service you do!
You will probably get more 'hits' (phone enquiries) but would it be worth the additional expense?

Copied from elsewhere:

Hi. Here is something I just read:

A lot of website owners are upset or puzzled when their website's Google PageRank goes down or does not rise. Is it worth losing any sleep over changes in that green line and number that appear in a Google tool bar at the top of your browser? I think that excessive worry or thought about PageRank is not constructive, and it is better to put it all in perspective by taking a rational look at what PageRank is and what it is not.

First of all the concept behind PageRank is indeed at the heart of Google's ranking process. The Google founders came from academia and they noticed that in many academic documents some sources were continually cited. They reasoned that if a particular document such as a book or research paper was mentioned in many places then it must be important. They applied this to the web and assumed that if one website links to another it is in fact, giving a "vote" for that site. A website that has many incoming links must have a certain degree of importance. In the current Google algorithm the quantity and quality of incoming links is certainly a factor in deciding the ranking of a particular website for any given search-query.

Think about it. In the early days of the web people would build websites and then they would tell their visitors to chëck out other "cool" sites and they would link to these sites. This is the process of natural linking and it still goes on. If you really have good content, people will link to you without letting you know. Similarly, if your name is Bob Dylan and your website is www.bobdylan.com, thousands of people will link to you without you having to send a cheesy email begging for a link.

Various government agencies, educational institutions, established companies and anyone else who is "big" in the "real world" is likely to also be big on the Internet simply by virtue of their previous fame and accomplishment. Google's ranking system took this into consideration and this is one of the reasons why Google is currently the number one search engine. It gives better results and that is why people use it.

But, does that mean that only the big players can be seen on the net? Far from it. While there is a difference between one guy working in his house with one computer and a corporate giant with a whole staff, and this is indeed reflected in rankings, the Internet provides a much leveler playing field than in yesteryear. Prior to 1995, it would have been very hard for someone to spread their news and views far and wide as bloggers do today. It costs millíons of dollars to publish a daily newspaper or to print and circulate a magazine, but it costs far less to publish a website or a blog, and lots of "little guys" have taken advantage of the power of the Internet.
But what about PageRank, how much of it do I really need to get my site noticed? For those who are not familiar with the PageRank system. Google supplies a tool bar which you can download and install on your browser. If you make a complete installation with all the advanced features, then every time you open a new website you will see a green and white bar with the label PageRank. Put your mouse on the bar and you will see a number from 0 to 10. If a website is not indexed by Google or banned by Google, the bar may be grey or all white.

But what do the numbers mean? I had a client who was worried about his number 3 PageRank figure and based on my observation I answered him with my unofficial view on the rankings. Here is how I currently see it:

To be continued...

J. Deans

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2007, 11:01:41 am »
...Continued:

PageRank 0-2 shows that a site does not have many links and needs work, However, and this a big "however," it may not really affect your search engine rankings. I have a client with a page rank of 2 and his site ranks well, even number one, for several search terms in a fairly competitive industrial category. So PageRank is not everything; it may have an impact on your rankings and traffíc, but in some cases it may not matter. In any case if you have a PageRank of 0-2, you can work on it through proper link building activity which I will explain at the end of the article.

PageRank 3 can be OK in some cases but in highly competitive industries you should work to improve it.

PageRank 4 is quite a normal number and indicates that you have enough links in either quantity or quality to make your site competitive.

PageRank 5 indicates that a site has many links or links from authoritative sites, and that Google has good "trust" in the site. It is a respectable and attainable PageRank.

PageRank 6 is very difficult to attain. This rank indicates that the site has many links and links from respected places. Remember the example of www.bobdylan.com, which I mentioned above; it has a PageRank 6, so you can get an idea of the difficulty involved.

PageRank 7-10 is usually earned by large and established institutions or websites which have tremendous authority, due to the quantity and quality of the incoming links. It is extremely difficult to attain this ranking. You really have to be special to get it.

So, don't worry excessively about PageRank. First look at your traffíc, then look at your salës and finally at your bottom line. They are the important numbers to watch. If you want to íncrease your traffíc and also PageRank, then here are a few steps that you can take:

1. Add content to your website. Make your website so good and so useful that people will link to you without you asking for a link.
2. Write articles and get them published on other websites and blogs with a link back to your site.

3. Distribute online press releases

4. Judiciously exchange links, or even better, exchange content (containing links back to your site) with other websites.

5. Get your site listed in online directories.

These efforts will certainly help you to build targeted traffíc, and they most probably will also help you to íncrease your PageRank as well.

Cleaning Resource

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2007, 09:45:02 pm »
I`m glad you typed that...........................Just to confirm what your saying I have a page rank 2 and have held no1

*Chris Browne

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2007, 11:05:46 am »
On taking a quick look it seems that you are mentioned via other sites and not directly from your own domain-name.  Looking at your domain name via your profile, you have still to upload your site.  Is you site: http://www.imagecleaning.org/ ?

Sorry, must have looked just as i changed hosts.....

www.imagecleaning.org