Dw

Why wouldn’t you?
« on: June 20, 2018, 01:51:26 pm »
Sign write your vehicle? I’ve just got a newer vehicle and when I can afford it I certainly will be doing so, I see a lot of windies who don’t.... just wondered what the reasons are if any in particular.

Thanks

John Mart

Re: Why wouldn’t you?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2018, 02:17:17 pm »
Because they're tax dodgers.  ;D

alank

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2018, 02:34:20 pm »
My pickup is not sign written it's duel purpose and if I'm having a day off fishing or doing something away from the business I don't really want people stopping me to either ask for a price or talk about window cleaning I like the look of my motor the way it is and find that I've now got plenty of work with recommendations etc that I don't need sign writing I have however had vehicles sign written in the past ;D

The Jester of Wibbly

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2018, 02:47:50 pm »
I don't bother either.

Always been in two minds about it but can't be arsed with the hastle of taking flack for my driving if I don't let someone pull out or I have to force my way out of a busy road or get a call accussing me of inconvenent parking when I need access to a property. Or even risk a bad review from another motorist.   I get too short tempered by other motorists sometimes
Claim your 50% off your mobile payment card reader with Sum Up.  http://fbuy.me/f7Ve3

alank

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2018, 02:57:40 pm »
I think if your looking for new business then yes have sign writing but for me I'm not bothering as I don't need it.

John Mart

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2018, 03:13:14 pm »
My pickup is not sign written it's duel purpose and if I'm having a day off fishing or doing something away from the business I don't really want people stopping me to either ask for a price or talk about window cleaning I like the look of my motor the way it is and find that I've now got plenty of work with recommendations etc that I don't need sign writing I have however had vehicles sign written in the past ;D
I can honestly say no one's ever stopped me to talk about window cleaning.  ;D

Pete Thompson

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2018, 03:18:51 pm »
I prefer stealth.

Also, I drive all over the place, often areas that I don’t cover, so I don’t want people calling me.

I currently have more work than I can comfortably do (and get more every week) so what would be the point?

I just don’t want to drive around in a labelled van.

Windy Miller

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2018, 03:23:09 pm »
I don't but then I'm more or less happy with my round and any lost customers are made up by newbies recommended by my existing customers.
If I'd to start again I guess I would have the van stickered to build business as in my opinion people just aren't as keen to open their door to you in this day and age when canvassing for whatever reason (security/hassle etc).

Although I do know a couple of windys who have their van sign written and they say they are tortured by people looking a one off or it done for peanuts or even just phoning up for a price to make sure their own windy isn't charging too much. I suppose it has its plus side and negatives.

dazmond

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2018, 03:29:15 pm »
it looks more professional to have a nice clean sign written van IMO.....

image is very important when you work in affluent posh areas....it makes you stand out from the other window cleaners......plus i pick up the odd good job here and there....best form of advertising....a mobile billboard if you like....
price higher/work harder!

Dw

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2018, 04:22:32 pm »
My previous 2 vans were sign written, as I say i’d Like to do the same with my third for reasons outlined by Dazmond but I can totally understand all the other reasons as to why you wouldn’t want to get it done....

With all mine previously being sign written as I like to look as professional as possible, I just seemed to have noticed a lot lately who didn’t so was interested in the pro’s / cons

Thanks again

p1w1

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2018, 04:32:05 pm »
I'm getting my van sign written tomorrow. My last van was done and i did think about this time if its worth doing as i dont really need it to get new custom  but decided for the same reasons as dazmond, its more for the overall professional image then anything else really and i only use the van for work. Plus personally  i like the idea of it standing out from others which i think it will do.

mufcglen

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2018, 06:51:52 pm »
My first van I had fully signwritten and it definitely gets you work however my 2nd van I decided not to have it done as I didn’t want the work but having got sick of old ladies always thinking I was robbing the neighbours house plus it is more professional looking in my opinion to be kitted out and van signwritten I ultimately got the back of the van done and on the sides just my logo with no number or website etc and I’m happy with that.
I did prefer it unsigned though as I could drive like a nob and not worry about it affecting the business with a dodgy review or moaning phone call lol

nathankaye

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2018, 07:56:04 pm »
There's viable reasons for both having the work van signed and for not.
However if a plain white van pulls up and a signed van pulls up, straight away you know exactly what one of them is for and the other you have no idea until they reveal themselves. It may (pending the condition of said van) make people seem questionable as well.

Personally I'm  waiting till I have a signed van for two reasons. The first, I'm giving it a lot of thought to how I want it to look but the main reason is waiting for a newer van. My van has 175000 on clock and won't last many years. When it dies I will replace and get that van signed up. For now however, I have opted for magnetised signs and not the pigly small ones from vista print lol.
I always get people taking a photo of the sign for telephone number etc or many just stand there reading it before moving on, which is funny as they don't see me sat in van most of the time.
But I also have the option of using the signs if I ever need to hire a temporary van etc
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Johnny B

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2018, 11:02:26 pm »
I have never had any of my vans signwritten.

I can understand that it looks more professional to have it done, but I have more work than I can cope with so I don't need to further advertise myself.

Plus, my van is a bit battered and signwriting it wouldn't be worth doing anyway!

John
Being diplomatic is being able to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

zesty

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2018, 08:01:40 am »
There's viable reasons for both having the work van signed and for not.
However if a plain white van pulls up and a signed van pulls up, straight away you know exactly what one of them is for and the other you have no idea until they reveal themselves. It may (pending the condition of said van) make people seem questionable as well.

Personally I'm  waiting till I have a signed van for two reasons. The first, I'm giving it a lot of thought to how I want it to look but the main reason is waiting for a newer van. My van has 175000 on clock and won't last many years. When it dies I will replace and get that van signed up. For now however, I have opted for magnetised signs and not the pigly small ones from vista print lol.
I always get people taking a photo of the sign for telephone number etc or many just stand there reading it before moving on, which is funny as they don't see me sat in van most of the time.
But I also have the option of using the signs if I ever need to hire a temporary van etc

Nathan it would be a good idea to upgrade your van sooner rather than later, sell it while it still works and put the money towards a new(er) van.

Don’t wait for the van to die, it’ll be worth nothing but scrap then, look forward and make changes before the inevitable.

I was driving an 06 transit connect, 120k on the clock, knew it was time to sell before it started losing more value and niggles appeared. Sold it, wacked the money towards a 3 year old transit custom (63 plate) and have never looked back. No finance, bought it outright, will sell this custom in a year or so and do the same again, keeping the equity in the van to sell for a newer one.

Oh, and always had them sign written to keep relevant to thread!

EandM

« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2018, 10:26:34 am »
I have a clean and shiny, if elderly, pick up truck. I've been here forever. I don't need any more work. I don't have any sign writing at this stage of life.

s.w.c

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2018, 04:06:22 pm »
I've always had my van sign written but I never had phone number added just website , as like some out fishing shooting and out of my area very often by them checking website it states areas I cover so never been a issue, I would say a sign written van brought extra business per say I just prefer it and thinks it looks nicer than a plan van but that's personal preference,

Marc Stock

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2018, 04:19:23 pm »
My 1st van wasn't sign-written. Had that for nearly 8 years.

My current van is sign-written, and i can say that i have noticed absolutely no difference between the two.

Only advantage to having the van sign-written is showing the competition you are about; and it offers a more "professional image". But to be honest, sign-written vans are so common; no one even takes notice anyway.

dazmond

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2018, 06:03:28 pm »
My 1st van wasn't sign-written. Had that for nearly 8 years.

My current van is sign-written, and i can say that i have noticed absolutely no difference between the two.

Only advantage to having the van sign-written is showing the competition you are about; and it offers a more "professional image". But to be honest, sign-written vans are so common; no one even takes notice anyway.

i disagree......my sign written vans have brought in all sorts of jobs over the years.from regular window cleaning jobs,solar panel cleaning and full UPVC cleans.(they actually stop and chat to you up north marc! ;D).......

having seen your van marc i personally think your sign writing is poor.....the letters are far too small...its not glaringly obvious what you do....WINDOW CLEANING SHOULD BE AS LARGE AS POSSIBLE!! ;D

dazmond

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2018, 06:05:21 pm »
I have a clean and shiny, if elderly, pick up truck. I've been here forever. I don't need any more work. I don't have any sign writing at this stage of life.

HOW OLD ARE YOU?

even if im still going at 70(which i fully expect to be!)ill still have a sign written van....... :)