bobbyboy

New pole req. Slx still the best?
« on: June 10, 2018, 10:28:06 am »
Morning all.
I need a new 18ft pole for around the £250 mark.
Always had gardiner poles and the slx has been great but is there a better pole around for this price which is as rigid and light.
Many thanks for you help.

Phil J

Re: New pole req. Slx still the best?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2018, 10:55:02 am »
It's the industry standard, so if it aint broke don't fix it.

mike1986

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2018, 11:23:14 am »
My last Slx 22 last about 7 months before having to be replaced, so I’ve gone back to a clx and can hardly notice the difference in weight, ridgity to be honest. Neither can the guy who works with me. Not worth the extra money unless your buying a 27ft or more in my opinion

Susan Dean (1stclean)

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2018, 12:41:00 pm »
My last Slx 22 last about 7 months before having to be replaced, so I’ve gone back to a clx and can hardly notice the difference in weight, ridgity to be honest. Neither can the guy who works with me. Not worth the extra money unless your buying a 27ft or more in my opinion

biggest load of crap ive read on here to date , i wouldnt have a clx given for free

the slx is a good cheap pole , and the best on the market still to date , for the price , i see alot of the others closing the gap  in the market but there not quite there yet , and now people have found out that gardener dont hold the patten for a lot of its stuff (the factory does that makes it ) it can may mean that this markets could get crowded very quickly meaning a price fall

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2018, 12:53:57 pm »

biggest load of crap ive read on here to date , i wouldnt have a clx given for free

the slx is a good cheap pole , and the best on the market still to date , for the price , i see alot of the others closing the gap  in the market but there not quite there yet , and now people have found out that gardener dont hold the patten for a lot of its stuff (the factory does that makes it ) it can may mean that this markets could get crowded very quickly meaning a price fall

Hi Susan

Thanks for the recommendation :)

Just to clarify:

We do hold the Utility Patents on the Smart Clamp design and technology and hold these Patents in Europe, UK, US, China and Hong Kong. This has allowed us to successfully protect and defend these clamps and their benefits against copies made in China and sold elsewhere.

Our partner factory only assembles window cleaning poles for our company and for no other window cleaning supply companies. No factory owns the Patents to our products, only we do and we have these clamps made here in the UK.

Whilst other pole brands are multiplying only the Gardiner pole has the Smart Clamp advantage.

The Jester of Wibbly

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2018, 01:36:46 pm »
We all need to support Gardeners and carry on using them as their products have been the best I've seen.

If they were to close their doors we would feel the pinch and miss their range.

You only miss it once it's gone hehe

I just hope we're not being over charged  ;D ;D
Claim your 50% off your mobile payment card reader with Sum Up.  http://fbuy.me/f7Ve3

Susan Dean (1stclean)

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2018, 03:09:30 pm »

Hi Susan

Thanks for the recommendation :)

Just to clarify:

We do hold the Utility Patents on the Smart Clamp design and technology and hold these Patents in Europe, UK, US, China and Hong Kong. This has allowed us to successfully protect and defend these clamps and their benefits against copies made in China and sold elsewhere.

Our partner factory only assembles window cleaning poles for our company and for no other window cleaning supply companies. No factory owns the Patents to our products, only we do and we have theSe clamps made here in the UK.

Whilst other pole brands are multiplying only the Gardiner pole has the Smart Clamp advantage.

glad to hear this ive Seen quite a lot of talk the last few days  about  clamps/poles/chems and how patents dont belong to this company or that company  not just yours but many others,  its good to hear it from the horses mouth  i guess you have already seen the posts ..........i dont mind being corrected at all just  goes to show this page is still better then f.b.

Crystal-clear

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2018, 04:46:55 pm »
My SLX lasted me five years no complaints if I maintained it better I could have actually repaired it if still in my shed but it needs two sections don't know how much it will cost maybe I'll repair it one day currently using an SLX 25 and a clx

robbo333

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2018, 05:07:26 pm »
Unfortunately, I have no other point of reference, except that when I first started up, I purchased 2 poles from another major supplier and they were not ideal.  Actually they were rubbish.

I now use a Gardiners Xtreme 22, (I had elbow issues, tennis elbow and golfers elbow. Caused by using a computer for 20 years) not anymore, despite all the best health cures, simply buying the lightest equipment has cured the pain issues. For me anyway.

I have an original 22 SLX, with original clamps, never had a problem. It is used as a backup and also for soft washing.

I've just purchased a CLX for soft washing and it is brilliant.

I think the Xtreme is the best pole on the market, but the SLX is the BEST VALUE pole on the market.

Also Gardiners' service is second to none!

I run a business, I need good customers and good suppliers,

I don't need to worry about suppliers; I use Gardiners. Could do with a few more good custies though!  ;D

P.S. Oooops sorry, yes stick with the SLX

"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2018, 05:59:52 pm »
I am on my second SLX25 in about TEN YEARS! First one was from when they were first ever released and didn't actually wear out (I still have it) but I replaced to be on the safe side. Current one is about 5 years old and still going. These are my every day poles used 99% of the time. You will struggle to beat that.👍
Comfortably Numb!

paul alan

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2018, 06:57:22 pm »

What was you doing with it?

dazmond

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2018, 09:22:38 pm »
It's all been said before.....the SLX is the best value pole for the price,rigidity,robustness and lightness....a great workhorse of a pole...

No need for anything else as an everyday pole.....
price higher/work harder!

mike1986

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2018, 10:26:05 pm »
First of all Susan...calm down.  ::)roll lmao

It’s just my opinion. I have been using gardeners poles for probably 10 years and the last slx I bought lasted only 7 months before top sections wearing very thin and have had to superglue 2 of the clamps back on as they have come away from the pole. 

I have since bought a clx last week and have found very little difference in quality.

What is this big difference in quality then that justifies paying an extra £100 or so that I’m clearly missing??? Weight and ridgitiy is almost identical as far as we can tell

dazmond

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2018, 09:00:51 am »

It’s just my opinion. I have been using gardeners poles for probably 10 years and the last slx I bought lasted only 7 months before top sections wearing very thin and have had to superglue 2 of the clamps back on as they have come away from the pole. 

I have since bought a clx last week and have found very little difference in quality.

What is this big difference in quality then that justifies paying an extra £100 or so that I’m clearly missing??? Weight and ridgitiy is almost identical as far as we can tell

It must still be useable at 7 months old.my current one is 14 months old and it's used everyday.i reckon I'll get at least another 2 years out of it....it's almost as good as the day I bought it(slight wear on the 2 top sections)

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2018, 03:06:20 pm »
I've lost count of the years but I must have been using the same gardiners pole for 7 + now  :o . Every 3-6 months ( more in winter ) it gets a thorough clean and re lacquered and regularly sprayed with ptfe. I may replace the number 1 section soon and a clamp or two and a new end cap. But that's the good thing about Gardiners every part is replaceable and available. I wouldn't  change for that reason.

KS Cleaning

« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2018, 03:22:26 pm »

You are wrong about the weight and rigidity, that’s not an opinion, it’s fact.

Pete Thompson

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2018, 06:38:19 pm »
My tuppenceworth;

I was given a 35ft slx by a mate, it was only 3 weeks old. I was excited to try it out after all the raving on here about them.

My verdict: MEDIOCRE.

Of course, all poles are a trade off on price/rigidity/longevity etc. So how good you think a pole is depends on what importance you place.

I found it significantly heavier than my ionic poles (35ft glyder plus) and more annoyingly MUCH bendier.

The brush was rubbish. Not enough bristles and they were too soft. So I took it off and put an ionic brush on, which was better. Not a big deal.

Now, it was not all bad, the clamps are very good, nicely thought out and well made. It was also more robust than the ionic poles I’d used, so I’m sure it would last longer, maybe twice as long.

But for me, I want a light pole that’s as stiff as possible. Don’t mind spending more, and I don’t mind replacing it every year.

Gardiners slx are cheaper than ionics glyder plus, and as I said, will almost certainly last longer.

But there’s just no doubt in my mind that ionics glyder plus is a better pole, lighter and stiffer, and that’s what matters most to me.

If only it was possible to put gardiner clamps onto an ionic pole, then the world would be complete.

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2018, 07:15:23 pm »
My tuppenceworth;

I was given a 35ft slx by a mate, it was only 3 weeks old. I was excited to try it out after all the raving on here about them.

Of course, all poles are a trade off on price/rigidity/longevity etc. So how good you think a pole is depends on what importance you place.

I found it significantly heavier than my ionic poles (35ft glyder plus) and more annoyingly MUCH bendier.

The brush was rubbish. Not enough bristles and they were too soft. So I took it off and put an ionic brush on, which was better. Not a big deal.

Now, it was not all bad, the clamps are very good, nicely thought out and well made. It was also more robust than the ionic poles I’d used, so I’m sure it would last longer, maybe twice as long.

But for me, I want a light pole that’s as stiff as possible. Don’t mind spending more, and I don’t mind replacing it every year.

Gardiners slx are cheaper than ionics glyder plus, and as I said, will almost certainly last longer.

But there’s just no doubt in my mind that ionics glyder plus is a better pole, lighter and stiffer, and that’s what matters most to me.

If only it was possible to put gardiner clamps onto an ionic pole, then the world would be complete.

You want the Xtreme pole for 35ft+ . That will blow the ionics pole out of the water!!
Comfortably Numb!

AuRavelling79

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2018, 09:51:53 pm »
Well I have an extreme 20 (top 4 sections of a 25) as my everyday pole. I have an old stepped extreme 47 for high work.

It is superb. The only downside (as dazmond the pole wrecker will attest to  ;D) is that it isn't quite as robust and can snap when used like an slx - especially when worn.

Personally I think using them (extreme) as an everyday pole (18ft to 25ft) is best if it is used by an owner-operator rather than popeye the subbie.
It's a game of three halves!

dazmond

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2018, 10:34:50 pm »
My tuppenceworth;

thats a bad comparison as i wouldnt dream of buying an SLX at that height.a 25 footer is the limit for an SLX IMO(perfect everyday pole for most work).anything higher then its an xtreme pole for me(47 footer)

robert mitchell

« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2018, 09:22:53 am »
My first pole was an ionics and it was complete crap , clamps broke every single time i used it ,heavy , bendy and the brush was like a brick .
www.ishinewindowcleaning.co.uk

The man who never made a mistake never made anything.