Lee Pryor

Grippavac review video
« on: May 30, 2018, 06:37:31 pm »
Sorry my voice is a bit quiet.

https://youtu.be/4mlN2JA5BcU
The best way to predict the future is to create it.

Mr T

Re: Grippavac review video
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2018, 09:46:05 pm »
Cool review.

Splash & dash

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2018, 11:14:02 am »
Sorry my voice is a bit quiet.

https://youtu.be/4mlN2JA5BcU

Thanks for the review , I must say that I am very surprised as I had a numat vac a few years ago was the worst pile of rubbish I ever bought very poor suction struggled at anything above 30 feet , we currently have an omnivac and find this far superior, I am looking to up grade to the sky vac industrial asthink this is probebly a good move , biggest gripe with the omnivac is no brakes on the wheels blessed thing keeps running away if working on a hill 😂😂😂😂

Nick Day

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2018, 11:43:29 am »
That video is a classic example of why free advice is worthless.

Lee Pryor

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2018, 12:11:24 pm »
That video is a classic example of why free advice is worthless.

Whats that supposed to mean?

Nick Day

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2018, 06:47:16 pm »
Because you put your opinions across as facts, and they simply are not.
For instance 3000 watts and 4000 watts is meaningless except to tell you how much electricity they use. That is complete nonsense, the wattage is your airspeed, forget all this LPS it is rubbish, nobody knows who or how they were tested. 
A 3000 watt will have more airspeed than your 2400 watt machine and so on. I have a tester which tests airspeed and I have tested Karchers, Numatics, Nilfisks, Vipers, Stars etc of all wattages and it always shows that airspeed is regulated by your wattage.
And that is just one example.

Lee Pryor

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2018, 07:44:49 pm »
You have an airspeed tester?! My god what a boring numpty you must be at a dinner party!

Only joking 😉

I haven't given my opinion as fact at all. It is my opinion after 12 years gutter vac experience with about 5 different machines that these are the best we have had. Lots of reasons why, not just power which you seem to have focused on.

I gave my opinion based on

Power
Size and weight
Manageability
Longevity
Price

Why don't you do a video using your airspeed machine and compare some machines for us then.  That would be useful and constructive rather than your negative and insulting attitude which doesn't actually help anyone.

Nick Day

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2018, 08:04:41 pm »
Lee I don't do dinner parties but when it comes to certain subjects one of them being wet and dry vacs I  make  Bob Boring look like Superman.
Over the next few postings I will demonstrate that your posting was absolute nonsense.
If you are considering gutter cleaning, for Christs sake don't accept his nonsense as fact.

JandS

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2018, 08:47:26 pm »
Sorry Lee but wattage is important...wattage determines your airspeed and water lift which will differ depending on configuration of vac motors...two x 1kw  vac system will not be as powerful as 3 x 1kw vac system.
Also 10m of suction hose is a lot of wasted vacuum strength...less is better so that more can be used in the actual poles,  it's just wasted running through hose on the ground.
3 or 4m would be adequate.
What diameter is the hose...it looks small, less than 2 inch will be crap as will keep blocking.
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

John Mart

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2018, 09:35:20 pm »
Sorry Lee but wattage is important...wattage determines your airspeed and water lift which will differ depending on configuration of vac motors...two x 1kw  vac system will not be as powerful as 3 x 1kw vac system.
Also 10m of suction hose is a lot of wasted vacuum strength...less is better so that more can be used in the actual poles,  it's just wasted running through hose on the ground.
3 or 4m would be adequate.
What diameter is the hose...it looks small, less than 2 inch will be crap as will keep blocking.
I’m not sure about the rest of your post but 3/4 metres of hose is inadequate from an ease of use point of view. I’d happily lose some suction not to have to move the vac every time I take two steps.

STEVE-UK

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2018, 07:33:21 am »
Nick

What is the spec of your 3000w vacuum, lift & l/sec

cheers Steve

tlwcs

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2018, 09:32:38 am »
You have an airspeed tester?! My god what a boring numpty you must be at a dinner party!

Only joking 😉

I haven't given my opinion as fact at all. It is my opinion after 12 years gutter vac experience with about 5 different machines that these are the best we have had. Lots of reasons why, not just power which you seem to have focused on.

I gave my opinion based on

Power
Size and weight
Manageability
Longevity
Price

Why don't you do a video using your airspeed machine and compare some machines for us then.  That would be useful and constructive rather than your negative and insulting attitude which doesn't actually help anyone.

It's only you here that's been insulting

Lee Pryor

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2018, 10:52:11 am »
Lee I don't do dinner parties but when it comes to certain subjects one of them being wet and dry vacs I  make  Bob Boring look like Superman.
Over the next few postings I will demonstrate that your posting was absolute nonsense.
If you are considering gutter cleaning, for Christs sake don't accept his nonsense as fact.

Having just checked my cleaner planner reports page since 1st jan to today we have done £22,925.00 worth or gutter clearing with exactly the kit shown here. So anyone considering gutter clearing need not worry that what im saying is nonsense,

I think you are missing my point in the video completely.

I am not saying that this kit is the most powerful I am saying it has out lasted 4 other different machines by a huge margine. This machine is a nice size to manage on and off the van, the drum doesnt split, the motors havnt burnt out, the trolly hasnt fallen apart, the power is plenty and the poles are fantastic to use for lightness and speed of set up ect.

Like a dog with a bone you have focussed on watts vs power and nothing else.  Power is not the only thing that makes a good machine for this service.

robert mitchell

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2018, 06:32:23 pm »

Having just checked my cleaner planner reports page since 1st jan to today we have done £22,925.00 worth or gutter clearing with exactly the kit shown here. So anyone considering gutter clearing need not worry that what im saying is nonsense,

I am not saying that this kit is the most powerful I am saying it has out lasted 4 other different machines by a huge margine. This machine is a nice size to manage on and off the van, the drum doesnt split, the motors havnt burnt out, the trolly hasnt fallen apart, the power is plenty and the poles are fantastic to use for lightness and speed of set up ect.

Like a dog with a bone you have focussed on watts vs power and nothing else.  Power is not the only thing that makes a good machine for this service.

I agree with most of what you have said Lee , the only thing i disagree with is that i dont like the push fit poles ,they tend to spin and thats a pain when trying to dig out compacted sods . The newer version of the poles with clamps on look good though .

My little nilfisk 1400 has plenty of suction so i dont get the obsession with having the most powerful machine , for domestics at least.
www.ishinewindowcleaning.co.uk

The man who never made a mistake never made anything.

Splash & dash

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2018, 06:34:52 pm »

If doing bungalow sand 2 storey houses then yes it will do it but start doing big commercial gutters 12 inched deep and wide and anything over 30 feet and it will struggle, I had one not Grippatank but the same machine with side entry it’s not man enough to do this kind of work , also what size poles and hose have you got ? We use 51 mm I think the one in the video looks smaller ? Might be wrong ? I agree with you on the length of flexi hose we use 12 meters it saves moving the vac so much and we don’t notice any drop in power/ sucktion due to this :
Airflow and power are needed to remove big clumps from gutters the more of both you have the better it will work we regularly remove grass growths between 2-3 feet long  that are sodden with water easily with our omnivac but the numatic wouldn’t look at it , it’s fine for what it was made for which was a workshop vac but it’s not designed as a gutter vac although it will do the lower smaller jobs ok . I certainly wouldn’t want to try and do some big jobs with it as I think we would make ourselves look very foolish as it wouldn’t be able to do the job , I think this is why so many people slate gutter vacs beacause they have tryed these less able models and then wrongly conclude that all gutter vacs are the same and do a poor job , if you need one vac to do all jobs then you need the best , if you do a variety of work and can afford to have different power machines for different jobs then yes it will do the less demanding stuff . Most on the forums say you cannot unblock downpipes with a vac , 99% of the time we do we only get the ladder off very occasionally, again this is down to airflow/ suction power , Ime not criticising what you are saying just don’t feel it gives the compleat picture to a novice looking into buying a gutter vac thinking that that machine will do all as it won’t .

robert mitchell

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2018, 06:41:26 pm »

If doing bungalow sand 2 storey houses then yes it will do it but start doing big commercial gutters 12 inched deep and wide and anything over 30 feet and it will struggle, I had one not Grippatank but the same machine with side entry it’s not man enough to do this kind of work , also what size poles and hose have you got ? We use 51 mm I think the one in the video looks smaller ? Might be wrong ? I agree with you on the length of flexi hose we use 12 meters it saves moving the vac so much and we don’t notice any drop in power/ sucktion due to this :
Airflow and power are needed to remove big clumps from gutters the more of both you have the better it will work we regularly remove grass growths between 2-3 feet long  that are sodden with water easily with our omnivac but the numatic wouldn’t look at it , it’s fine for what it was made for which was a workshop vac but it’s not designed as a gutter vac although it will do the lower smaller jobs ok . I certainly wouldn’t want to try and do some big jobs with it as I think we would make ourselves look very foolish as it wouldn’t be able to do the job , I think this is why so many people slate gutter vacs beacause they have tryed these less able models and then wrongly conclude that all gutter vacs are the same and do a poor job , if you need one vac to do all jobs then you need the best , if you do a variety of work and can afford to have different power machines for different jobs then yes it will do the less demanding stuff . Most on the forums say you cannot unblock downpipes with a vac , 99% of the time we do we only get the ladder off very occasionally, again this is down to airflow/ suction power , Ime not criticising what you are saying just don’t feel it gives the compleat picture to a novice looking into buying a gutter vac thinking that that machine will do all as it won’t .

You may be right about going up to higher levels but i have pulled out some impressive sods with my nilfisk , the biggest one i pulled out was about 4feet long from a three story townhouse , the only time it let me down was a root bed that had grown around an oddly shaped bit of lead flashing that was hanging into the gutter but no amount of suction would of got that out.
www.ishinewindowcleaning.co.uk

The man who never made a mistake never made anything.

JandS

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2018, 08:34:34 am »
12m of hose on the ground is a lot of wasted power....4m of hose will enable you to do the side of a bog standard semi without having to move the machine....I prefer as much power as possible to be concentrated on the vertical.
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

Tom-01

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2018, 09:11:31 am »

I would have thought you would do a lot more gutter cleaning than that? We've done the same amount in the same timeframe with just me and one other guy. We use the sky vac industrial. Its not too heavy for one person to lift, and the swivel movement of the can is excellent for emptying. Its very powerful and has got the most stubborn debris out. I would say the new hose supplied with it though is naff but hasn't hampered us at all. Maybe the skyvac is better for us, and the grippavac is better for you, and other vacs work well for others?

Splash & dash

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2018, 10:34:11 pm »
12m of hose on the ground is a lot of wasted power....4m of hose will enable you to do the side of a bog standard semi without having to move the machine....I prefer as much power as possible to be concentrated on the vertical.

Lol try doing 300 meter runs of gutter vaccing with a 3-4 meter hose not very practical Ime affrade

John Mart

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2018, 03:57:01 pm »
Question for you Lee. The guys doing the gutter clears are on their own I guess? What do you do when a ladder is needed? Do they go up? Have you got a policy? At the moment generally my guys call me & I go up the ladder. It's pretty rare, but it's happened a couple of times.

Lee Pryor

« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2018, 04:00:48 pm »
Question for you Lee. The guys doing the gutter clears are on their own I guess? What do you do when a ladder is needed? Do they go up? Have you got a policy? At the moment generally my guys call me & I go up the ladder. It's pretty rare, but it's happened a couple of times.

All our vans have a selection of ladders

John Mart

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2018, 05:29:29 pm »

All our vans have a selection of ladders
It's more the health and safety aspect really. I haven't put mine on a ladder course which I would think would be necessary for employees. Do they have training?

Lee Pryor

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2018, 05:52:26 pm »
You will find many online training course which our team have done and are certified for. We did a RoSPAR approved course.

Nick Day

« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2018, 09:07:13 pm »
So many times I see people thinking that the  more you pay for a kit the better it will be.
You could not be more wrong.
If you want a cheap and incredibly efficient kit you can do no better than to buy the Shop vac Pro from B & Q for  £100.00. It runs at 103" of water lift has 1800 watt of airspeed and a 40 litre capacity and because of it's single stage motor has a high air speed. Single stage motors run at about 7% faster than two stage motors. Another great machine is the MaxBlast 3000watt 80 litre machine from Ebay at £200.00. Get your selves a set of poles, tools  and hose  and you are away.
I keep reading about ladders, make sure you get a proper set of tools and you will never need a ladder.
There is a reason why it is called Ladderless gutter cleaning.

Shrek

« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2018, 09:13:27 pm »
So many times I see people thinking that the  more you pay for a kit the better it will be.
If you want a cheap and incredibly efficient kit you can do no better than to buy the Shop vac Pro from B & Q for  £100.00. It runs at 103" of water lift has 1800 watt of airspeed and a 40 litre capacity and because of it's single stage motor has a high air speed. Single stage motors run at about 7% faster than two stage motors. Another great machine is the MaxBlast 3000watt 80 litre machine from Ebay at £200.00. Get your selves a set of poles, tools  and hose  and you are away.
I keep reading about ladders, make sure you get a proper set of tools and you will never need a ladder.

Wrong , I had a customer who put chicken wire at the ends of the gutters to prevent birds getting in is roof. This then got caked in soil and leaves etc etc , I had no way of getting that out without ladders.

Shrek

« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2018, 09:20:59 pm »
Also , people who put hedgehogs in they’re gutters - you’ve got to get yer ladders out. No choice  :)

John Mart

« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2018, 09:35:25 pm »
Also , people who put hedgehogs in they’re gutters - you’ve got to get yer ladders out. No choice  :)
I just refuse those type of jobs.

zesty

« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2018, 09:39:17 pm »

Which poles and do they fit the machine? It’s seems like a cheap way to get on the gutter vac band wagon, something I’ve never bothered with but for £100 why not!

Shrek

« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2018, 09:39:29 pm »

I don’t blame you! Iv only ever done one like that and it was a nightmare

Nick Day

« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2018, 09:40:05 pm »
You are picking on a 1 in a 1000 occurrence. Just  drag this crap,out with a weedhook and carry on cleaning.

STEVE-UK

« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2018, 07:49:12 am »
Nick

What is the spec of your 3000w vacuum, lift & l/sec

Please confirm

cheers Steve

Tom-01

« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2018, 08:40:27 am »

Just price a lot higher! We did a job on a block of flats getting them out the other week. That stupid stuff is a waste of time.

John Mart

« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2018, 09:52:56 am »

Just price a lot higher! We did a job on a block of flats getting them out the other week. That stupid stuff is a waste of time.
For me it throws up too many health and safety issues.

Splash & dash

« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2018, 05:53:18 pm »

We hook them out never had to go up a ladder to remove them ? Taken out 1000 of meters of the stuff over the years Gardiners gutter hook on a pole works a treat

John Mart

« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2018, 06:50:51 pm »

What about putting them back?  ;)

We hook them out never had to go up a ladder to remove them ? Taken out 1000 of meters of the stuff over the years Gardiners gutter hook on a pole works a treat

Shrek

« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2018, 06:52:20 pm »

That’s a good question  ;D

Splash & dash

« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2018, 07:01:22 pm »

Lol we would advice the customer of the issues involved with them and would not put them back as generaly they have plant roots intwined in them and arnt worth trying to save most customers have been miss sold them thinking that it will solve the problem of blocked gutters which they don’t in fact 9 times out of 10 they exasibate the problem if they wanted them re installing I generaly suggest they contact the firm that originally installed them so far no one has taken up my suggestion and said bin them and learned from an expensive mistake we then generaly sighn them up for an annual gutter vac job we do loads like this each year : we have one nursing home that we do every 3 months and it has over 400 meters of gutters full to the top each time with moss , but they won’t have the roof cleaned just pay us to empty it each time Kerching 😂😂😂😂😂😂

Seers

« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2018, 11:22:44 pm »
Hi Lee,

Although on 90% of our gutter cleans we use one of our cherry pickers we also use the exact same Numatic vac as yourself for awkward areas where we can't get an access platform to.

Over the last four years it's been brilliant, combined with Gardiner superlite poles. Before that we used the Ionics Upkeeper which we quickly sold on as we found it very poor to use.

I think we bought the Numatic second hand off the classified ads on here and its probably done about £40,000 worth of work since then.

Kind Regards,

Huw

Nick Day

« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2018, 07:44:47 pm »
Just for clarification, did the Numatic do £40.000 worth of £400.000 worth of work, or did it just do £4,000.00 of £40,000.00, worth  of work?
I have seen so called "top quality" kits, that would put anybody off gutter cleaning.

gsw

« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2018, 03:56:16 pm »
For those who use numatic.....

We used to have one and sold it on when we were going to stop gutters ..... moment of madness over ....and a few years past... bought a new one as the last one was as described on here, robust and  more than up to the job!

I’d previously had an omnivac setup .... I sold the whole lot on and started again with the numatic and Gardiner poles.

Gutted (excuse the pun) that you can no longer buy the numatic with the exhaust built in..... that was quality for blowing out the downpipes! 

Couldn’t find it cheaper than here

https://www.averncleaningsupplies.com/wvd900-sc-numatic-engineering-workshop-vacuum-swarf-coolant&filter_name=Oil

We use it with nick days poles....... more than adequate for houses and bloody reasonably priced...... no affiliation !

Powered with

https://www.pump.co.uk/generators-c108/petrol-driven-generators-c112/villiers-v6000es-6kw-silent-petrol-generator-p5965

Again an economical option for us. No it’s not a Honda but it does the job!!

My question is do those who use numatic use the just the metal filter with the float or are you  using the material filter in addition .... concerned about damaging the motors but notice a distinct loss of power with the additional material filter ...... I’m pretty sure we only used the metal one before ......Lee?

Cheers, Greg

Nick Day

« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2018, 05:27:43 pm »
You should only ever use the bag type filter. Cut a 3" diameter hole in the back of the filter, sew in a scouring pad, you will never get a  loss of suction again.

gsw

« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2018, 07:30:50 pm »
Cheers Nick, makes sense 👍🏻