Tosh

Heating water
« on: February 20, 2017, 07:39:21 pm »
So, now Dazmond has blown his brains out with his L10 what are the options to heat water?

Diesel heaters, usually professionally fitted by system fitters, such as Grippa. Expensive.

Fish tank heaters. Crap.

Immersion heaters, fitted to tank, usually by half competent DIYers. Crap.

LPG heaters, usually fitted by recovering alkies and dunderheads. Liable to blow your van up.

What other options are there? As they’re either bloody expensive, bloody dangerous or bloody crap.
*A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odorless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

Don Kee

Re: Heating water
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 07:46:12 pm »
Step 1 - pour pure water in kettle
Step 2 - switch kettle on
Step 3 - wait for kettle to boil
Step 4 - once kettled is boiled, carefully take boiled pure to van tank
Step 5 - pour into van tank

Repeat steps 1-5 until van tank is full*

*make sure RAMS is appropriately completed, to ensure hot water is transported from kitchen to van safely

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 07:46:42 pm »
That depends on what your requirements for heating water are to be able to determine whether a particular method is crap or not.

I'm on the 3Kw immersion as you know, but..... my requirement is not for cleaning with hot water, it is to keep the whole van and system frost free, be ready and able to work regardless of temperature and have nice soft, supple hoses that don't freeze on the ground in winter. I don't have any requirement to clean with hot water. My whole professionally wired, 16amp system including all parts came in at less that £100 and all I have to do is plug one cable from the van into an outside socket- job done.
Comfortably Numb!

dazmond

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 07:52:18 pm »
So, now Dazmond has blown his brains out with his L10 what are the options to heat water?

Diesel heaters, usually professionally fitted by system fitters, such as Grippa. Expensive.

Fish tank heaters. Crap.

LPG heaters, usually fitted by recovering alkies and dunderheads. Liable to blow your van up.

What other options are there? As they’re either bloody expensive, bloody dangerous or bloody crap.

at the moment i dont care matt.im just glad i didnt set my van alight.its shocked me TBH. ::)roll

a professionally installed diesel heater is probably the safest but will it make you any more money or your day easier?or is it just a comfort thing?

if i was going to try hot water again it would have to be a pro installed diesel heater but that comes at a cost and ongoing expenses not just in diesel but servicing costs/downtime and initial installation.its probably not worth it unless you work on the coast or clean a lot of one offs/non regular work.
price higher/work harder!

Tosh

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 07:55:39 pm »
Well, I think in hindsight I’ll be disconnecting my LPG unit. Truth is I had a similiar experience to you with an L5 about 5 years ago in my Vauxhall Combo.
*A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odorless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

dazmond

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2017, 08:05:35 pm »
Well, I think in hindsight I’ll be disconnecting my LPG unit. Truth is I had a similiar experience to you with an L5 about 5 years ago in my Vauxhall Combo.

it certainly shook me up matt!it was like standing next to one of them things that go off that scare birds in farmers fields! :o

Tosh

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2017, 08:11:58 pm »

it certainly shook me up matt!it was like standing next to one of them things that go off that scare birds in farmers fields! :o

Welsh people?

nathankaye

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2017, 08:22:03 pm »
I always love the positive threads by slacky
 ;D ;D

Copper piping knicked of council estates where they have piping all outside their homes.  Or alternative heat resistant piping and run it close to engine and around your exhaust and feed it back into your tank. A long journey and a small tank should see hot water coming though  ;D
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Shrek

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2017, 08:48:29 pm »
Stick to cold , might take a little longer than hot to clean stuff with but your not talking much longer ( then again I wouldn't know because iv only ever used cold!)

Smurf

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2017, 03:47:11 pm »

Fish tank heaters. Crap.

Ask custards to put some hot water in yer bucket with a bit of soap in it. You never know it might just catch on. lol

swanson

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2017, 03:54:14 pm »
I've got a outside hot tap ( boiling water)
I just connect my hose in the morning fill up through my twin Di  vessels
Hot water in my insulated tank 400 litre

Steven Biggs

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2017, 04:03:32 pm »
Same . So easy , safe , cheap and stays warm all day . Well at least till I finish at 2.  ;D

Smurf

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2017, 04:06:18 pm »

How much is your di resin and domestic heating bill a year though?
Using a 1/2 inch hose I take it how long does it take to fill a 400ltr tank that way?

Tony dunmall

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2017, 04:57:22 pm »

Using a 1/2 inch hose I take it how long does it take to fill a 400ltr tank that way?

I'm intrigued as well sounds interesting
How long  does your resin last

Smurf

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2017, 05:19:49 pm »

I'm intrigued as well sounds interesting
How long  does your resin last

Put it this way with a tap water ppm of 300 odd in my area it would not last very long lol

Still if I  fortunate to live in a very soft water area then that would be another option. That's if I had a combi boiler which I don't.

dazmond

« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2017, 05:58:01 pm »
i have both low tap tds(029) and ive just had a combi boiler fitted a few weeks ago. ;D

i might give this a try.

Steven Biggs

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2017, 06:43:23 am »
We have a combi boiler . And my water out of the  tap varies from 70 - 120 . Depending on the time of year . So averages out about 90 . Twin  di . 2000 litres a week  of pure we use . Costs about a tenner a week in resin . Regards the gas bill the wife sorts that and never seems to moan about it but I've never looked into how much extra it costs even tho I'm a tight Yorkshire git . I suppose it works out at having an extra bath a day .

Steven Biggs

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2017, 06:50:06 am »
I can put 400 litres in through regular garden hose in about 10 minutes .. So if it's peeing it down or blowing a Gale or I can't be arsed going I obviously don't bother . Where if you use an Emersion heater it has cost you to heat that water  just to let it go cold .

Jonny 87

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2017, 07:36:00 am »
I can put 400 litres in through regular garden hose in about 10 minutes .. So if it's peeing it down or blowing a Gale or I can't be arsed going I obviously don't bother . Where if you use an Emersion heater it has cost you to heat that water  just to let it go cold .

How long have you been doing it?

I was always told that Hot water dramatically decreases the life of your resin?
Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

Shrek

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2017, 08:19:06 am »

Sounds like it does.... £10 a week on resin x 40 weeks a year? £4000

p1w1

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2017, 08:22:39 am »

Try £400 a year, see why your a window cleaner  ;D

dazmond

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2017, 08:25:27 am »
Doh! ;D

Steven Biggs

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2017, 08:34:37 am »
It's probably less than that . I buy 6 sacks a year . £70 a sack .it would be even cheaper if you filled direct into the tank and then had your di after the tank . But I can't do that as I need pure in the tank cos I fill a trolley we use as well from the tank .

Shrek

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2017, 09:55:16 am »

Try £400 a year, see why your a window cleaner  ;D

Oops 🙊

Dave Willis

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2017, 04:56:29 pm »

Eh? that's what you've done, paid to heat the water.  ::)roll

Steven Biggs

« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2017, 05:43:40 pm »
Yeh I know . What I meant was heating it in advance and then not using it . I suppose the element has the advantage of stopping stuff freezing during the night . But I've never had owt freeze in my van anyway .

dazmond

« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2017, 06:11:46 pm »
Yeh I know . What I meant was heating it in advance and then not using it . I suppose the element has the advantage of stopping stuff freezing during the night . But I've never had owt freeze in my van anyway .

seems like this could be the way forward if i want warm water on cold frosty mornings.the only problem ive got is i need to find a way to stop my tap connector from sliding off my tap (with the hot water)when filling up as this is what happened last time i tried a few years ago(albeit without combi boiler).i dont have a hot outside tap so its an adaptor on my sink tap. ::)roll ;D

Tosh

« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2017, 06:57:41 pm »
Fit a ’t’-piece on the pipework under your sink Daz, then fit an outside tap to that with the appropriate fittings on the thread.

Hoof the pipe out your flat window and down into your van.

Shrek

« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2017, 08:19:28 pm »

seems like this could be the way forward if i want warm water on cold frosty mornings.the only problem ive got is i need to find a way to stop my tap connector from sliding off my tap (with the hot water)when filling up as this is what happened last time i tried a few years ago(albeit without combi boiler).i dont have a hot outside tap so its an adaptor on my sink tap. ::)roll ;D

Don't forget to get hose pipe from your tap which can handle heat...
Iv had a few burst before when filling up my swimming pool 🏊 in the back garden

Dave Willis

« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2017, 08:35:37 pm »
I let the butler sort that out.