ben stevens

Bin cleaning in warwickshire/oxfordshire--advice
« on: April 29, 2012, 02:09:51 pm »
Hi, contemplating starting a wheelie bin cleaning round in my area as there seems to not be much of it going on...any help/advice guys and galls?? ;)

Londoner

Re: Bin cleaning in warwickshire/oxfordshire--advice
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 08:32:47 am »
Bin cleaning round here has almost died out because we have now got three different bins and they are all emptied on different days and at different frequencies. Some are one week some are two week. You really need to clean them just after they have been emptied before the customers start to re fill them.

This makes it very difficult for the operator to co-ordinate and expensive for the house holder. Also, although a lot do, its illegal to clean them in the street. You need a converted van which captures the water and recycles it

Scoop

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 06:50:33 pm »
Hi Ben.

Advice as follows.

1. Make sure you are in (or can easily reach) a decent catchment area (100k+ population quite dense). Don't spread your round out too wide (Warwickshire and Oxfordshire is a no - you want a 3 mile radius for your main concentration of work)

2. Keep an eye out for a second hand wheelie bin cleaning van at a decent price (I personally wouldn't use a trailer). Get it signwritten so that it stands out like a police car.

3. Work out where the bin rounds are. Wednesday empty has to be cleaned on Wednesday. Be careful not to overload certain days.

4. Leaflet like mad - aim to drop 20,000 leaflets in your first 3 months - not as easy as it sounds.

Bin cleaning is very organic. People will come out to you in the street, especially if you're the only one. It is hard graft - poncey shiners have got nothing on bin cleaners  ;D

Also, don't be afraid to charge for people who call for bin cleaning miles away. I charge £25 for a clean 10 miles away. Take it or leave it.

If you do want to start then now is the time. Don't leave it 'til the Summer.

Good luck.
Don't wish it were easier. Wish that you were better - Jim Rohn

ben stevens

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 06:57:47 pm »
Many thanks Scoop, ive bought a van for a grand and it all works fine so quite pleased with that, got a few customers already lined up so HERE WE GO! lol ;D
You done alright from it? if you dont mind me asking...