JJay

Winter gears - what's work and what's doesn't
« on: October 21, 2019, 09:30:52 pm »
Hi Lads. As winters is coming we need to brace ourself and take out jackets or gilets.
I know that it's been here few times but I think this topic needs refreshing from time to time.
 What's the best for you to wear on?
Last winter I had snowboard jacket and I was sweating even in sub zero. I don't want to make that mistake again so I'm think about thermo t shirt and softshell jacket or thermo t shirt fleece and gilet. What you wearing from November till March?

Re: Winter gears - what's work and what's doesn't
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2019, 10:25:22 pm »
Nothing fancy.
Its for work and will only get wrecked.

Decathlon  -  thermal lined trekking trousers, fleece and boots.

TK Max or similar for a body warmer and a beanie

The thermal rubber gloves you can get from screw fix  -  forgotten what they're called.

I'll wear an old waterproof snowboard jacket if it starts raining and I have to work in it but else find I'm warm enough even on the coldest of days with the above and doesn't restrict movement.

dazmond

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2019, 11:15:48 pm »
embroidered fleece,rough and tough combat pants from englebert strauss,caterpillar boots,beanie hat.......

if its a wet/cold day from the off then ill wear decathlon trekking trousers,forclaz walking boots and a tribord sailing jacket over my fleece or a goretex jacket(i have 2)....

gloves wise i normally just wear nitrile disposable gloves...when it gets colder ill wear showa 377s over the top of these......if its REALLY cold ill wear my neoprene glacier gloves in the mornings til lunchtime or a pair of skytech argons.....
price higher/work harder!

nathankaye

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2019, 11:19:47 pm »
I normally have a couple of T-shirts, a jumper and then a fleece lined body warmer.
Thermal running base line leggings (basically long johns lol) under my work trousers and thats about it.  If it rains, the body warmer comes off and the rain jacket goes on.
If its persistant heavy rain, then the water proof leggings come out the van as well.
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

JJay

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2019, 11:37:49 pm »
embroidered fleece,rough and tough combat pants from englebert strauss,caterpillar boots,beanie hat.......

Is that engelbert and strauss worth of money or is it another company with fancy name and rubbish quality?
I saw nice boots from them and I'm thinking to get them.

nathankaye

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2019, 12:25:59 am »

Is that engelbert and strauss worth of money or is it another company with fancy name and rubbish quality?

Its german, thats all the info you need.
They are quality clothes. I use them for my trousers n polo tops
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

tlwcs

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2019, 06:40:35 am »
http://www.buffalosystems.co.uk/products/mountain-shirt/

Wear over base layer, made in Sheffield, superb.

Richard iSparkle

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2019, 06:55:08 am »

They are really good yes but not cheap if you are buying them for staff.

If I am Buying for myself I get my stuff off them, especially trousers.

For staff I use fruit of the loom and go outdoors now
iSparkle Window Cleaning

www.isparklewindowcleaning.uk

dazmond

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2019, 08:02:47 am »

The combats are great....loads of pockets and very hardwearing....I've also got the combat shorts as well for summer......never tried their boots range...

dazmond

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2019, 08:08:30 am »
I've now got 3 waterproof jackets I take out with me on a wet day.....tribord sailing jacket and 2 goretex jackets... ;D

No excuses for NOT working in the rain now....... ;D

chris turner

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2019, 06:12:53 pm »
Everything from engelbert Strauss including shoes and hats. It's all quality, hardwearing, warm and versatile...

DeLuce

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2019, 06:38:49 pm »
I’m a Haglöfs man myself  ;D , winter trousers, boots and soft shell. Well made, last for ages.
This last spring I bought some Englebert Strauss trousers and shorts. Very impressed. Extremely comfortable and most importantly, they have pockets in the right places for your phone, money and keys, they are well spread out around your body!

zesty

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2019, 06:42:14 pm »
Just a bunch of layers and a jumper, Job done ✅

Oh, and a beanie hat 😎

windowswashed

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2019, 07:37:02 pm »
Engelbert Strauss is pricey but excellent work wear. The breathable, clothing is very good. I just wear a merino wool tee-shirt and breathable fleece in coldest of winters and plenty warm enough without sweating. The clothes is quick drying should it get wet and because it's breathable you don't end up getting a cold sweat.

colin bird

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2019, 07:53:32 am »

I've used there clothing for 12 years,good quality,lasts a long time,in my opinion worth paying  a bit extra for

Shrek

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2019, 08:01:16 am »
Iv just bought these for the winter- 12 month warranty too , very comfortable indeed

https://www.shuperb.co.uk/muck-boots-arctic-ice-tall-mens-rubber-wellington-boots-black-p17843

SB Cleaning

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2019, 11:31:54 am »
I just worry about it if and when we get any really cold weather.

lal

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2019, 12:38:22 pm »
Iv just bought these for the winter- 12 month warranty too , very comfortable indeed

https://www.shuperb.co.uk/muck-boots-arctic-ice-tall-mens-rubber-wellington-boots-black-p17843

Hi Shrek, ive bought the Muck Boots & shoes, i must say they are very good, 100% waterproof & warm.

deeege

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2019, 12:56:33 pm »
Where do all you fellas work, the Arctic circle?

We’ve barely had a winter for 8-9 years here in the north west. A decent jacket and a few pairs of Skytec Argon gloves will see me through to March like every other year.
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

tlwcs

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2019, 05:41:31 pm »

I have the ankle version of those, I found the the full boot too heavy. By 4 o’clock I was dragging my feet like I’d had a stroke!

Shrek

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2019, 06:12:11 pm »

I have the ankle version of those, I found the the full boot too heavy. By 4 o’clock I was dragging my feet like I’d had a stroke!

Haha your right there! I feel like my legs are stronger with wearing these  ;D however I’m only a part timer so it’s not too bad  :)

Stoots

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2019, 05:18:28 pm »
I dont really get that cold, i mean if its below freezing then i cant work anyway so if im out it must be 1 degree or above

so a pair of long johns under work trousers, 2 pairs of socks instead of one.

Work shirt, jumper, hoody maybe a fleece or water proof over the top

hat and gloves if needed

no need to over complicate it just wear more layers i dont know why you need a special coat

I wouldnt be buying them £150 boots  :o you chaps have too much money  ;D i just wear cheap hiking boots with a few pairs of socks.

Shrek

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2019, 06:09:46 pm »
Il need them when I get back from here  ;D

Stoots

« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2019, 06:14:18 pm »
Il need them when I get back from here  ;D

Thats just an average back garden for a window cleaner

« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2019, 06:41:25 pm »
I dont really get that cold, i mean if its below freezing then i cant work anyway so if im out it must be 1 degree or above

so a pair of long johns under work trousers, 2 pairs of socks instead of one.

Work shirt, jumper, hoody maybe a fleece or water proof over the top

hat and gloves if needed

no need to over complicate it just wear more layers i dont know why you need a special coat

I wouldnt be buying them £150 boots  :o you chaps have too much money  ;D i just wear cheap hiking boots with a few pairs of socks.
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/media/836/8367614/classic_1647816.jpg
Totally agree.
I use the above from Decathlon ( £25 ). I've worn them everyday for work for a whole year and they still haven't split or worn out completely yet, but I may yet just splash out and treat myself to a new pair  :D ;)

dazmond

« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2019, 07:03:56 pm »
are they waterproof though?nowt worse than wet feet on a cold wet day in winter......

forecast very wet here from lunchtime onwards...hopefully ill be finished by 1pm... ;D

« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2019, 10:33:45 pm »
are they waterproof though?nowt worse than wet feet on a cold wet day in winter......

forecast very wet here from lunchtime onwards...hopefully ill be finished by 1pm... ;D
If I stood in a stream probably not, but in my last year of wearing them cleaning windows I've not had to. I don't think I've ever owned a pair of boots or even shoes come to think of it, that couldn't stand up to a bit of rain.

Edit: just looked at reviews on site, waterproof. Somebody trekked for 20 days on the Annupurna circuit in Nepal through snow and ice wearing them. Having trekked there myself I'd have gone with a more expensive goretex boot. But hey, if they're good enough for that then I'm sure they're enough for a wet day in Manchester.

mac74

Re: Winter gears - what's work and what's doesn't New
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2019, 08:16:03 pm »
In very cold weather i wear:

Insulated Beanie hat. (spray on waterproofer if needed)
Neck gaiter/snood (the best £5 u will ever spend) or x2 if very cold.
Gloves (insulated).
Leather cat boots caked in polish or dubbin for wet grass, and bridgedale socks.

Head - Neck - Hands - Feet

Cover the above and you can pretty much wear your normal gear, apart from a rain jacket if needed  :)