christ6008

Winter has arrived :(
« on: October 31, 2015, 04:32:30 pm »
Does anyone know of a way to stop water freezing on glass when using WFP. I use a backpack for most of mine  :)

SB Cleaning

Re: Winter has arrived :(
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2015, 04:48:37 pm »
Well I'm in my t shirt still ;D

ascjim

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2015, 04:58:32 pm »
Yeah me too.

Bungle

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2015, 05:03:08 pm »
Still in T shirt and shorts me.
We look at them, they look through them.

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2015, 05:37:28 pm »
Me too , still a t shirt job here. What part of the country are you in where the winter has arrived?

Spruce

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2015, 05:41:30 pm »
Only ever had one house where we had an issue. It was a holiday home and the central heating boiler had broken.

You will come across the odd conservatory where you might have this happen. On those odd occasions you will have to use more water so you can warm the glass up a bit.  All you need to do is wash and rinse it as best you can. The water will freeze but when it melts the glass will be left clean.

We know which conservatories aren't heated and we find that the troublesome ones are North situated. We leave them until the afternoon so they are warmer than they are first thing in the morning.

I had a similar issue with the council offices I clean. I did them between Christmas and New Year but found they had switched the heating off. The water froze on 33 windows and 7 sets of doors.
It took me twice as long to clean, used more water, but when I checked back on the windows the following week, they were spotless.

When this happens you have to be prepared to check you work a few days later.

So for us this is a none issue TBH. By we are on the North East coast so we have more moderate winters that inland. Where we have more of an issue is causing a slip hazard on paths etc. We have a bag of de-icing salt we sprinkle down in those areas. We also do a block of flats on a main street pavement. We only do those when the water won't freeze, and then we sweep any puddles off the pavement to be sure.

It all about common sense and rethinking your risk assessment in periods like these.
Sometimes  when its too cold to go out, stay at home. Your risk assessment should also include driving to the job. If the roads are icy then you have a greater chance of having an accident. The aftermath of an accident isn't worth the risk sometimes.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Smurf

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2015, 05:54:19 pm »
Would like to add to spruce's post If its that cold that your wfp gear freezes up then best stay in bed as you will be wasting yer time trying until the temp rises above freezing.

Role on spring  ;D

paulben

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2015, 07:01:58 pm »
If wfp is freezing then just trad downstairs customers don't mind usually and think more of you for trying to give a service
Do not steal the government hates competition

Stoots

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2015, 07:44:07 pm »
<a href="http://[img]http://[url=http://[email][ftp=ftp://[glow=red,2,300][shadow=red,left][right][move][center][left][pre][s][i][sup][sub][list]<br />[li][hr] :&#039;( :-* :-\ :-X :-[ :P ::)roll ??? 8) :ostill in me t hshshore here lasz ;)[/li]<br />[li][/li]<br />[/list][/sub][/sup][/i][/s][/pre][/left][/center][/move][/right][/shadow][/glow]][glow=red,2,300][shadow=red,left][right][move][center][left][pre][s][i][sup][sub][list]<br />[li][hr] :&#039;( :-* :-\ :-X :-[ :P ::)roll ??? 8) :ostill in me t hshshore here lasz ;)[/li]<br />[li][/li]<br />[/list][/sub][/sup][/i][/s][/pre][/left][/center][/move][/right][/shadow][/glow][/ftp][/email]][email][ftp=ftp://[glow=red,2,300][shadow=red,left][right][move][center][left][pre][s][i][sup][sub][list]<br />[li][hr] :&#039;( :-* :-\ :-X :-[ :P ::)roll ??? 8) :ostill in me t hshshore here lasz ;)[/li]<br />[li][/li]<br />[/list][/sub][/sup][/i][/s][/pre][/left][/center][/move][/right][/shadow][/glow]][glow=red,2,300][shadow=red,left][right][move][center][left][pre][s][i][sup][sub][list]<br />[li][hr] :&#039;( :-* :-\ :-X :-[ :P ::)roll ??? 8) :ostill in me t hshshore here lasz ;)[/li]<br />[li][/li]<br />[/list][/sub][/sup][/i][/s][/pre][/left][/center][/move][/right][/shadow][/glow][/ftp][/email][/url][/img]" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://[img]http://[url=http://[email][ftp=ftp://[glow=red,2,300][shadow=red,left][right][move][center][left][pre][s][i][sup][sub][list]<br />[li][hr] :&#039;( :-* :-\ :-X :-[ :P ::)roll ??? 8) :ostill in me t hshshore here lasz ;)[/li]<br />[li][/li]<br />[/list][/sub][/sup][/i][/s][/pre][/left][/center][/move][/right][/shadow][/glow]][glow=red,2,300][shadow=red,left][right][move][center][left][pre][s][i][sup][sub][list]<br />[li][hr] :&#039;( :-* :-\ :-X :-[ :P ::)roll ??? 8) :ostill in me t hshshore here lasz ;)[/li]<br />[li][/li]<br />[/list][/sub][/sup][/i][/s][/pre][/left][/center][/move][/right][/shadow][/glow][/ftp][/email]][email][ftp=ftp://[glow=red,2,300][shadow=red,left][right][move][center][left][pre][s][i][sup][sub][list]<br />[li][hr] :&#039;( :-* :-\ :-X :-[ :P ::)roll ??? 8) :ostill in me t hshshore here lasz ;)[/li]<br />[li][/li]<br />[/list][/sub][/sup][/i][/s][/pre][/left][/center][/move][/right][/shadow][/glow]][glow=red,2,300][shadow=red,left][right][move][center][left][pre][s][i][sup][sub][list]<br />[li][hr] :&#039;( :-* :-\ :-X :-[ :P ::)roll ??? 8) :ostill in me t hshshore here lasz ;)[/li]<br />[li][/li]<br />[/list][/sub][/sup][/i][/s][/pre][/left][/center][/move][/right][/shadow][/glow][/ftp][/email][/url][/img]</a>

Bungle

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2015, 09:26:11 pm »
😙
We look at them, they look through them.

M & C Window Cleaning

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2015, 11:38:09 pm »
Don't know if this will help you.
I use a 25ltr trolley so have a similar problem on the coldest days of winter when I want to keep working.
My solution is to heat my water when transferring it to my barrels in the morning. I use a sureflo pump to pump the water through an L5 gas heater to accomplish this. It takes between 7 and 10 minutes per barrel depending on how cold the water is to start with. I start the process as soon as I get up and all is ready by the time I'm due to go out. This keeps my gear from freezing and for the most part freezing on windows.
We have a choice! We can do one or the other, the opposite, both, or neither depending on which way the wind is blowing.

Mike #1

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2015, 09:20:11 am »
Still in my shorts , always managed great with trolley .

SeanK

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2015, 01:22:28 pm »
If the waters freezing on the glass its time to stay in bed, how many times are you going to get a day like this over
the year, even in the worst years you would be unlucky to get 10.
If you cant miss the odd day in this game your doing something wrong.