Robbiebox

Strange Odour from Purified Water
« on: November 08, 2005, 09:05:43 pm »
 ???

Hi everyone, this is my first post so wish me luck....

We converted to the WFP system in June 2005 and I purify my water using a merlin RO unit feeding into a DI Resin cylinder and then into the water tank. No problems at all with the PPM count (it is always 000) and it is fine for the window cleaning. HOWEVER, because it completely removes limescale etc, I have been using it for drinking water in the kettle and coffee machine, and it works really well. Just lately, when boiling the water it is giving off a strange fishy/rubber smell but tastes fine.

Can anyone shed some light on this, could it be some kind of mould or contamination in the purification units? I fill my tank about twice a week.

H h20

Re: Strange Odour from Purified Water
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2005, 09:20:42 pm »
Hi Robbie,welcome to the forum,i to use a merlin,the carbon filter that came with it is only suppose to be used if you intend to use the water for drinking,i don`t know if you have the carbon filter fitted,i don`t because i only use my merlin for wfp,it is suppose to improve the taste,so it may be worth fitting it if you have`nt already,Gaz

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2005, 09:21:15 pm »
Are you using a post filter as you need to use this if your using for drinking water?

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2005, 09:21:57 pm »
Sorry gaz i just posted at exactlly same time lol

H h20

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2005, 09:26:44 pm »
Sorry gaz i just posted at exactlly same time lol
Beat ya by 42 seconds LOL ;D

kingfisher

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2005, 11:13:37 pm »
Hi Robbiebox

I use the water straight from the Merlin (dont bother putting it through the DI though) for drinking and the kettle.

Had no problems with rubber smells could it come from the hose do you think?

Kev

chris@c.m.s

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2005, 12:28:05 am »
I dont think its a good idea that you drink stored water it could become contaminated and maybe already has,  much better if you draw off some water from the ro system before the di,  as has been said.
Sussex by the sea

steve k

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2005, 01:19:49 am »
water that has passed through DI resin is not to be drunk. Purified water from RO does not have ALL minerals removed and is safe but passing through DI resin removes all and this is not good to drink...the water will attempt to absorb essential elements from your digestive system and can make you quite ill.

On another point, the water should be running from your RO into a holding tank and then from the tank through DI resin and to your brush head.

Morph

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2005, 08:46:40 am »
Why?
For what reason should the water from the RO sit in a holding tank before passing through a DI vessel to pole?
What difference does it make if it passes through RO then DI then holding tank to pole

williamx

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2005, 09:13:12 am »
The resin in the DI unit does smell of fish and is quite normal.

I would not drink water if it has been though the di process as this will cause plenty of problems to your health.

Robbiebox

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2005, 11:03:06 am »
Gents, what can I say?!

I really did not expect such a good response so quickly...

Anyway I removed the resin part and took the water straight from the RO unit - problem solved, with no smell at all now. However, the whole purified water "to drink or not to drink" has now got me slightly concerned and there are many differing opinions on the subject (most of them though have something to sell). Check out

http://www.ionizers.org/purifiedwater.html
&
http://www.ithyroid.com/water.htm

It should be OK as the merlin is specifically for drinking water, and it comes with a faucet. Just out of interest the merlin takes it down to 39 ppm.

Thanks for all your help.

Rob

steve k

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2005, 02:32:59 pm »
morph...
the idea of DI resin is to act as a final polishing of RO water before it reaches the brush head.
It will also remove any impurities that have contaminated the water from the tank.

marc al

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2005, 09:25:14 pm »
  Steve

I have had some water sat in tanks with only a lid laid on the top for over 2 months now and the TDS is still zero, I dont understand why you need the DI after your holding tank.

Marc

pjulk

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2005, 11:16:46 pm »
I don't understand either.

Mine goes R/O - D/I Holding tank then 25 ltr storage containers then trolley and my reading will still be 0.00 sometimes 0.01.

Paul

steve k

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2005, 07:44:51 am »
in all the manufacturers 5 stage RO systems we can buy, the DI is after the holding tank and polishes water before delivery to the brush head. If you have a DIY system and a sterile tank which you are confident will maintain 000 TDS, and your system works then it is obviously not a problem for you.