drive surgeon

not getting my commercial quotes
« on: October 21, 2009, 10:48:01 am »
not hearing back from my commercial quotes.  on jobs over 300 sq metres do you think i should reduce my sq metre rate? im a one man band.

if it was £1.00 a sq metre it would be £300 obviously

£1.50 a sq metre is £450.
£2.00 a sq metre is £600
 what do you think is acceptable for a one man band for commercial pressure washing work?

i need the work aswell.  :'(

BDCS

Re: not getting my commercial quotes
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 12:21:18 pm »
Ring them and ask them why. You may be too cheap because big firms xpect to pay a certain price for each job and if you don't fall into this band they think you won't give the service or be able to afford to rectify any mistakes. When you quote for big firms you need to think and charge like big firms. you cannot put a bloke on site for less than £15/hr plus his kit hire and petrol etc. We had the same with the drains and we get the work now we charge more

drive surgeon

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 02:57:43 pm »
its hard cos im a 1 man band working from home compared to a big pressure washing company with premises and staff costs. i can afford to be a lot cheaper than the bigger company.

say it was 300 sq metres of block paving and i charged £1.50 a sq metre = £450

how much would the big company charge?  £2.00 to £3.00 a sq metre? = £600 to £900

who would get the job? and why?  surely you would think the cheapest? but no it does not seem to be like that. :-[

Joe H

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 04:22:12 pm »
If you not getting them now, then its worth a shot at putting your price up to see if it does work.
Hows the presentation of the quote looking? That matters as well.

CATMAN

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 04:30:53 pm »
Cheapest is not always the best.

I have run quite a big business and when I needed a subby in or work doing, the quote was only part of the process.

How they conducted themselves on the phone- are they pleasant or answer just ello no company name.

When they visit, are they on time, are they smart and presentable, do they have examples of previous work, do they have insurance

It all builds a picture,

People do not always want cheap, certainly business to business, if the job is cheap and turns out crap, the person who gave the work out will look a right charlie.

You need to sell your benifits, but not just on price or you'll end up a busy fool

vacman

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 05:10:35 pm »
I can't disagree at all with this, but it begs the question, why oh why do so many people advertise themselves on prices alone? I've always said it, keep price out of the advert and give people the chance to call you, but i thought i was in the minority when i say that sometimes "cheap is dear" as my grandmother used to say  ???

drive surgeon

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2009, 05:49:30 pm »
im worried about putting my next commercial quotes in incase i dont get them. i could be losing work left right and centre. i think also cos im not vat registered they push me aside.   :'(  :'(

BDCS

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2009, 07:41:58 pm »
You come over on here lacking in confidence so do you think that might be the case with the person for who you are quoting?

drive surgeon

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2009, 10:16:10 pm »
no not at all. if they do any research they will find out im the best in the area. but because im only new to commercial in the last couple of years its all new to me and sometimes a bit daunting.  but i know i do a good job so thats all that matters.

BDCS

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2009, 08:18:44 am »
But they know nothing about you only what you put over during the site survey process - thats when you establish your value in their minds

drive surgeon

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2009, 12:45:03 pm »
they were not there when i measured up the job and the guy who wanted it doing was just the boss of the maintenance company in charge of the buildings.

drive surgeon

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2009, 01:54:39 pm »
just put a quote in to clean 600 square metres of paving which includes, block paving, flags and asphault. i gone in at £1.25 a sq metre which comes to £750.  does that seem to dear or cheap?  not got a clue what commercial people think.

some barsi do say im dear and some places say im too cheap.

like i say tho it depends on how big you are tho? surely? ???

Richy L

drive surgeon

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2009, 05:26:55 pm »
they are contacting me!

TVCS

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2009, 09:04:13 pm »
why not work out how long these jobs will take you then work out a day rate you would be happy to work for.  Add for machine / petrol / insurance etc etc etc.   
the few large commercial jobs i have done i have gone in with a day rate and cost of machine etc.

Veni, vidi, vino, splatus.

(I came, I saw, I drank, I fell over...)

Daria Taylor

« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2009, 10:16:57 pm »
no not at all. if they do any research they will find out im the best in the area. but because im only new to commercial in the last couple of years its all new to me and sometimes a bit daunting.  but i know i do a good job so thats all that matters.

I'm no expert in your industry and dont know prices but just like to say that doing a good job sometimes is not enough,because people dont know that when you are quoting, if you sound uncertain and too cheap they will think you are not going to do a good job. so try to ring people up in the same industry and ask their prices. dont ever be too cheap. You will always get people looking for someone to do it chep, bu you will also get people who will settle with the price you give them.its all about confidence when you talking to them.try to sellyour product as much as you can. just push the advantages of using one man rather than big company etc, if needed write all this things down bulletpoint and when talking to someone make sure you cover all them when talking to customer, so you are getting accross to them what you can offer.

Sorry if this is a bit basic. dont think i think you stupid and dnt know such basic things.just giving my opinion, as sometimes we forget about simpliest things by concentrating on more complicated matters. :)

Good luck.

Dash

drive surgeon

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2009, 09:30:52 pm »
i just had an email from the customer saying his budget was only £160.   :o  :o

is he kidding or what??

611 square metres of flags and block paving and then going back to re-sand it???

what a joke!!!

these commercial places are all the same they want the jobs done for as cheap as possible.   you will make more money doing domestic work!!!

daz1977

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2009, 09:45:43 pm »
custy dont know the really price of any thing, they think because of the recession people will be glad to earn 160 quid, stay at home and go knocking house and earn more,  the only people who will do a job for that is someone working for someone else and not telling them they are doing and using works gear

like the old saying  if you think its expensice to get a professional in, wait till u get a amateur in

drive surgeon

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2009, 09:49:08 pm »
is right daz!!  :)

i have had nothing but trouble from commercial places. i have a few jet washing contracts that are ok but most you travel to quote and they dont get back to you or if they do they say im too dear. but my domestic customers say im cheap??

Daria Taylor

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2009, 09:13:55 am »
custy dont know the really price of any thing, they think because of the recession people will be glad to earn 160 quid, stay at home and go knocking house and earn more,  the only people who will do a job for that is someone working for someone else and not telling them they are doing and using works gear
like the old saying  if you think its expensice to get a professional in, wait till u get a amateur in
dont worry about him some people are just like that coz they dont know how muh things cost. i had a customer ringin us up for full 4 bed house carpet cleaning and full deep clean, i said it will be 420 for it all doing thats with a 10% discount and he said he was thinking about 200 for both, i said good luck with finding some one who will do it for that price, and in the end he ended up saying ok i will go with that price then. some people are missled by those rediculas websites and leaflets from cowbows who will do it for nothing, or should i say those who will do it for nothing and then the customer wishes he/she never had it done at all.