jay foden

flat surface cleaner???
« on: May 18, 2006, 10:30:32 pm »
hi all can anyone  tell me how to run a flat surface cleaner from a water barrel in my van?  i only have a renault kangoo which is small but i have been told i can fit a 200 litre tank in and fill it while the customers tap is filling it?    a normal tap pressure is not powerfull enough to run a whirlaway for instance i have been told.  i have been using a normal kit for years but i need to upgrade for bigger jobs.   do i need a pump for greater pressure to feed more powerfull machine???  many thanks. ??? ??? ???
jay foden

chrisoleary

Re: flat surface cleaner???
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2006, 08:33:26 am »
Hi Jay, what kind of pump are you using at the moment? Have you tried using the FSC from house mains through your current pump? I suspect what people have been advising is using a tank as a reservoir to feed your pump as when you use a stronger pump it can starve of water from the house mains when working at full pressure. You connect the house water supply to the tank but then you need to feed your pump from the tank for your pump to work at its best. A couple of times my pump has struggled with house mains supply and the FSC does not work as well as it should. I simply backed off the revs a bit and had to spend a bit more time or use the turbo lance. I have bought the wheelie bin kit from Merrill Fox but have not got it set up yet, when I do I will let you know the results.
power2clean...patios...driveways...block paving...decking...garden furniture...power2clean...Cumbria.

jay foden

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2006, 02:44:42 pm »
hi mate im not using any pump at the moment. i just use an outside garden tap. this is fine for most small patio/ driveways but when i get the bigger machine and rotary washer thats when i will be needing a pump. i might get a whirlaway washer 18". ta.   any suggestions?
jay foden

Ged

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2006, 07:12:18 pm »
  Hi
to run a flat surface cleaner/ whirlaway efficiently you need a 250 bar machine delivering around 16 litres per minute otherwise stick to the turbo cos any less power and you will be wasting your time with a flat surface cleaner. the larger machines are  fed from a tank/ wheelie bin so are independant of the mains pressure. with the right pressure washer you will not need addittional pumps of any kind. have you thought about putting the pressure washer and tank on a small trailer with mesh sidings . that's what i do and it works great .when you are working just leave everything on the trailer and have plenty of hose. at the end of the day the trailer goes in the garage locked up and the mpv goes on the drive. speak to Jan at tech clean for details of their machines and for advice.

regards ged

Jeremy

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2006, 04:00:59 pm »
I'm interested to see your comment on a whirlaway needing 250bar and 16 litres per minute. I am also in the market for a flat surface spinner and have a Prochem Everest TM rated at 200bar (3000psi) and 17litres per minute.

I was led to believe that this would adequately power the whirlaway. If not then I need to look at a different spinner.

Ged

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2006, 06:00:38 pm »
you may find the machine you've got is ok for the whirlaway flat surface cleaner. their technical department will advise you but i use the tech clean flat surface cleaner and have to run my rig at full bore to achieve a satisfactory result and even then there are often stubborn mossy or weeds left to be dealt with by the turbo lance. the tech clean fsc is good value it has castors and a skirt and is a lot cheaper than the whirlaway.  tech clean are well thought of and they are helpful if you have any questions.

Ged

guscom

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2006, 08:36:17 pm »
Like the sound of a wheelie bin kit but who is Merril Fox

drivewasher

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2006, 02:27:55 am »
Hi all
FSC or any pressure washing equipment with a nozzle/s needs to have the nozzle oriface matched to the flow and pressure of the pump (pressure washer)
So for instance say a whurlaway (w/a) used on 250 bar 15litres/min pump would be fitted with different nozzles than the same W/A on a 200 bar 14 litres/min pump.
Basically you can't buy a FSC or even a high pressure lance and just expect it to work, it needs to be matched to the pump

My machine is 250 bar 15litres/min, looking at the nozzle chart to obtain 250 bar on the lance (single nozzle) has to be 04. so as the whurlaway has two nozzles to pass the same quantity of water and therefore run pump at 250 bar half the size nozzles are req, so I use two of 02 nozzles, hey presto magic, no mirrors involved

If you had say a 200 BAR pump at 16 litres/min flow, then a single nozzle on lance would need to be 05. and therefore FSC with two nozzles would need to have 025 nozzles fitted to maintain 200 BAR

Some FSC have 3 nozzles so you would divide the single requirement by 3 and use the nearest.

Tust me I,m a whurlaway doctor
I'm always in the poo, it's just the depth that varies

drivewasher

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2006, 02:37:41 am »
I'm interested to see your comment on a whirlaway needing 250bar and 16 litres per minute. I am also in the market for a flat surface spinner and have a Prochem Everest TM rated at 200bar (3000psi) and 17litres per minute.

I was led to believe that this would adequately power the whirlaway. If not then I need to look at a different spinner.

A whurlaway would be ok on a 200Bar 17 Litres/min machine. You would need to make sure it is fitted with 025 nozzles or maybe 03. the lance for that spec pump should have a 055 nozzle fitted.
And as a lot of outside taps won't deliver 17 litres/min of water you need to suck from a tank or bin to ensure enough water. Running a high pressure pump with less water than it needs will cause major damage to seals and pistons ooch! big bucks

Jeremy

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2006, 09:45:34 pm »
I have decided to go for the Hydroforce SX-12. Its similar to the Whirlaway but is more suited to what I need to do (inside work) with a vacuum pickup to return the water back to the machine.

Has any body cleaned with one before and If so, how effective are they.

drivewasher

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2006, 01:03:31 am »
Mosmatic do one it's stainless steel has a brush skirt and a port for vac extraction, ideal for inside use and very good quality.
Once again it's just a case of matching a set of nozzles to suit your pump

RT cleaning

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2006, 01:57:32 pm »
i suppose you could use a wheelie bin as a feed tank, but as a good modification, what about fitting it with a drain tap (for end of job) and also a standard ball valve (about £4) so it will fill itself and shut off automatically requiring no attention during the job? ::)

Kleen Machine

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2006, 04:17:00 pm »
My name is Merrill Fox and I have a discount pressure washer supply site out of the US. I have almost 29 years of experience in sales and service of pressure washers. Prior to that I owned a contract pressurewash company.

I have many customers in the UK that I have sent Whirl-a-ways, long wands, pressure washers, turbo nozzles, etc.

I am available to assist in equipment package selections, and with an address can give a delivered price to the nearest international airport that services that area. ( That is the best way to keep costs down, opposed to curb delivery ) I also use the US Postal service to send  parts, and accessories, including the whirl-a-ways, which are boxed for low cost shipping. ( your taxes or any clearing of customs for freighted orders are done by officials in the UK )

I am complimented on my service and the quality of my equipment, and told that I have saved my customers money.

I devised a tank/wheelie bin kit ( when I heard of your low pressue tap pressures) that I can install on machines prior to being shipped over there, or the kit can be sent over for the customer to install. It has a tank filter and can be fitted with a drain hose on request.( we have 3 way poly valves ) All of the plumbing is of the size needed to give maximum pressure. I also have a regulating inlet water valve with  float, should that be desired. It also has the plumbing to return the bypassed water to the tank.

If anyone would like to take a look at my site.

www.merrillfoxenterprises.com

my email from which I can forward images and prices is fox@merrillfoxenterprises.com

Out of repect to this site and its administrators,I will only mention prices on this above mentioned email.

I want to wish happy hollidays  to all.

Merrill

shammy davis jnr

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2006, 11:07:32 am »
what i do is take a weely bin with me provided they have an out side tap you fill this up before u start  and keep there hose running into it  should take a bit to exsaust the system prvided you get at least 15 ltrs per min

mark.laycock1@ntlw

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2006, 07:46:46 am »
hi any photos of this wheellie bin kit.
mark

mark bowditch

« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2006, 08:57:12 am »
HI MARK

Don’t get a float vale for domestic use as flow rate is to low   

Use ¾ hose to feed pressure washers

http://www.landypressurewashers.com/Accessories.htm
Hope this helps
Mark
Pressure Washing and Maintenance
http://www.grimeforce.co.uk

drivewasher

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2006, 10:22:25 am »
HI Mark,
Just the same as mine almost, I have fitted a gauge tube up the side with a red float in it to see the level of water as lid is always closed. Lid is sealed down with small rachet strap and rubber gaskets so overflow fitted also acts as a breather. Also I have the bypass couples into tank attop also.

And can't belive it, as with myself, local council have copied my basic layout for collecting rubbish Dooh!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pdl

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2006, 12:28:04 pm »
Nice picture of nicked wheely bin from Grenwich Council  ;)
Never ASSUME, to ASSUME makes an ASS out of U and ME              Cannock Staffordshire

drivewasher

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2006, 10:22:01 pm »
Nice picture of nicked wheely bin from Grenwich Council  ;)

Doesn't mean it's nicked at all
We can buy wheelie bins from our council

mark bowditch

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2006, 10:33:28 pm »
Hi Steve,
Nice one about council stealing your methods
Can't by pass pump as it's internal only.

Oh and PDL it's not nicked it was found abandoned and recycled, and Greenwich council encourage recycling.
Funnily enough I was the only one of a few people that had a 360 liter wheelie bin and the council recylce collection boys nicked mine.

Pressure Washing and Maintenance
http://www.grimeforce.co.uk

Mikescape

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2007, 09:59:51 pm »
hiya, my first time on here!!
Advice please, I have a tech clean pt250 pressure washer (250bar 15lt/min) and want to know which head and nozzle size to use to be able to clean moss covered block paving without having to keep going back to my lance for the stubborn bits. any help please
regards
Mike

drivewasher

« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2007, 10:17:24 am »
If your surface cleaner has 2 nozzles then they should be   2502  OR 1502  the 02 being the orifice size you need the 15 and the 25 are the degree of fan ie 25deg or 15deg

The 2502 is the best choice but not all orifices are  available in 25deg's

Some supp;iers use the actual diameter in millimeters so here it is 0.85mm

If your machine has got the right nozzles in I think the tech clean fsc has a presure gauge on it, check the pressure when useing it it should be around 210bar/245bar, if it's much lower than say around 200bar then the nozzles are worn and need changeing anyway.
Also does the bearing head/spinner arm not adjust nearer the floor to give you more pressure at point of contact, this will give better cleaning but not as quick

Kleen Machine

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2007, 04:17:40 pm »
I am a supplier out of the US and sell all pressure cleaning supplies, and accessories. I have perfected the wheelie bin feed kit and install them on pressure cleaners that I send to the UK.

Also, it is no myth that the British Pound is 1/2 of the value of the US Dollar. Therefore, after shipping,related costs, and taxes, there is money to be saved.

I offer an alternative to the suppliers in the UK.

All it takes is an email to me and I help with equipment selections. Then I give a delivered quote. The only other expense in your taxes.

For images and prices my email is

fox@merrillfoxenterprises.com

my site

www.merrillfoxenterprises.com

steve k

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2007, 08:49:57 am »
I have just received my pressure washing set up from Merrill...left USA on 24th April, arrived at Manchester Airport on 30th April and delivered to my door on Wedesday morning 2nd of May.

4000psi 13HP Honda pressure washer with 1" inlet plumbing...
20" tri- bar stainless steel whirlaway with an extra 2 x jet bar...
etended 47" lance with 4 x quick connect jets of different sizes...
2 x 50 ft lengths of non-marking high pressure hosing
high pressure ball valve for quick change over from tool to tool without turning off...
a years supply of spare seals and gaskets...
all export and customs charges stateside...

TOTAL: $2325.00 which is: £1170.00

import/VAT charges this side:

airline handling:       £30.00
delivery to my door: £20.00
inbound VAT:            £210.31
Duty:                         £18.08
Customs brokerage: £40.00
use of VAT number:   £11.00
fuel surcharge:          £0.85

TOTAL charges: £330.24

ALL IN COST OF WHOLE PACKAGE: £1500.24

I have used it on 3 good jobs Thursday and Friday and it is SUPERB...

I have the 1" inch plumbing connected to an outlet on a wheelie bin and the power and ease of use is great...the longer wand stops any backache from stooping down as I am 6`2"...
The whirlaway has castors and skirt and is a joy... ;D

Merrill is a great person to talk to and will talk you through anything you need to know... ;) ;) ;)

Mikescape

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2007, 09:16:01 am »
Hi all, thanks for your help and advice. In the end I went to Hugh Crane's in Norfolk and he has set me up with a new fsc on casters and it has doubled my output. He made sure i have the right nozzles and we have gone for a 16" fsc rather than a larger one and I am sure I could not have a better set up now if I wanted one. He also gave me a great price which was far less than i can get a whirlaway for, either from uk or usa. Sorry merrill but thanks for your reply, your a good man.(a whirlaway was origionally my first choice fsc)
Hey Steve, your cleaner must have been on the longest flight ever. 6 days to get from the usa to manchester, i reckon it must have gone for a long weekend in hawaii.

steve k

« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2007, 11:55:52 am »
well, the set up has to be put together, the stateside courier has to be booked and the set up picked up from the suppliers and then cleared through customs and then processed onto an available flight...the phone doesn`t go down from my ordering and a van is there within the hour and the set up is driven straight up the ramp of a taxiing aircraft...6 days from door to door USA to UK is indeed FANTASTIC... ;)

« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2007, 05:49:45 pm »
Merrill,
I would like something like this to clean drives, and if possible with a long wand for gutters.
Are you the right person to speak too?