Roger Oakley

Re: Decking
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2013, 06:53:34 am »
I dont think he WANTS to strip the stain, i think he is worried that the hypo will strip some of the stain out, and he doesnt want that to happen. He just wants to clean it.

That's why I asked what brand of stain was used, as you can leave a deck patchy with some brands of stain with hypo. Maybe a photo of the deck would help OP

Matt Gibson

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2013, 07:13:43 am »
Ahh ok. i didnt think hypo would touch a stain. 

Neil Jones

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2013, 07:13:24 pm »
Exactly what I am worried about, I don't want to strip it i'm just concerned that the hypo will leaves patches. No pictures sorry, it was a dark oak cuprinol stain, it is very dark. I've got the work booked in for Monday, I may just have to clean it without hypo, or do a test area.

Roger Oakley

« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2013, 11:45:57 pm »
Neil,
If the guy is going to stain with the same product, then either do a water wash, or you could do a weak Oxi wash, Dark stains can be a pain if not stripping as they can go "patchy" with hypo as it is not a stripper. Water or weak Oxi will give you a clean surface to apply the "dark" stain to, which might be the best to hope for in this case.

Neil Jones

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2013, 01:54:54 pm »
I knew you where going to say that Roger :-(
Looks like it will just have to be a water clean, even though he's said he's having it stained again I don't want to leaves patches because I know he will try to make me do the stain for free then.
Cheers for the help

Neil Jones

« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2013, 10:12:44 pm »
Just to let you know Roger I did a simple pressure clean with water, it was fine, removed most of the built up algae etc but it did need stripping, which I didn't have time for. Anyway simple clean, customer happy, and got paid. Not really my thing decking, if the picture thingy worked i'd upload some before and after shots.

Roger Oakley

« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2013, 10:20:14 pm »
Just to let you know Roger I did a simple pressure clean with water, it was fine, removed most of the built up algae etc but it did need stripping, which I didn't have time for. Anyway simple clean, customer happy, and got paid. Not really my thing decking, if the picture thingy worked i'd upload some before and after shots.
Result