Neil Jones

Decking
« on: May 02, 2013, 08:24:27 pm »
Got some decking to do in the next week or so, it's not that bad just needs a clean and i'm going to use some hypo on it. The decking is stained with dark oak stain (Cuprinol I think), will the hypo lighten or leave the deck patchy because of the hypo, never done a stained deck before.

Len Gribble

Re: Decking
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 06:27:12 pm »
Neil

I’m a total novice what’s hypo
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

BDCS

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 07:19:05 pm »
Strong bleach to the layman

Len Gribble

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 08:38:24 pm »
Thanks but not very ECO
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

Neil Jones

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 09:01:59 pm »
60 people and all I get is that hypo isn't ECO.

Ian101

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2013, 06:47:31 am »
Not ECO  ;D  - no offence to poster but a bit of hypo aint going make a lot of difference - pressure washing in general prob not very eco at all, lots and lots of water, lots of petrol or diesel for the actual washing, all that carbon emission driving to job.

If its a choice between my days wages and being green then the tree huggers will loose every time.

Ian101

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2013, 06:48:48 am »
To the op Im a total novice so have no idea to your question however maybe test a small out of sight area first ?

Phil @ Extreme Clean

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2013, 01:20:29 pm »
meant to be good for decking from what iv'e heard.

http://www.worldofclean.co.uk/decking-cleaners.html
Extreme Clean
Carpets to DRY For!!!!!

www.bookaquote.co.uk

Blast Away

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2013, 01:30:54 pm »
Thanks but not very ECO

And the world we live in is?

Are you gonna save the planet by refusing to use 'hypo'?

The governments are spraying toxic barium and f**k knows what other concoctions out of planes in the sky and you think a cleaning agent isn't eco friendly.

;D ;D ;D

Len Gribble

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2013, 07:26:59 pm »
I’m from the carpet cleaning side it’s drummed it to us go ECO as the customer wants it :D

Thanks PM I see non toxic will check if suitable near a pond (under decking filter) ???

Blast

Are you gonna save the planet by refusing to use 'hypo'? Probably not but think I will save my Koi and grass as for planes flying over I miss concord  ;)

Roger Oakley

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2013, 08:35:51 pm »
meant to be good for decking from what iv'e heard.

http://www.worldofclean.co.uk/decking-cleaners.html

Just looked at this one, they don't offer a MSDS ????
Yet another product that people will buy into.

Roger Oakley

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2013, 08:39:41 pm »

Are you gonna save the planet by refusing to use 'hypo'? Probably not but think I will save my Koi and grass as for planes flying over I miss concord  ;)

Not much is completely safe near Koi pond's Len, but saying that we have a deck that over hangs a Koi pond to do this year, pretty much got the technique down on how to do them.

Herons are also a pain around fish ponds, one had about 20 of mine the other week and f**ked the liner as well  >:(

Rob_Mac

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2013, 08:48:00 pm »
You wont be able to net over a reservoir size pond Roger ;D

Rob ;D

BDCS

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2013, 09:01:56 pm »
I have a customer with a huge koi pond and I cleaned their patios round the pond and cleaned all their windows. She rings up after 2 days of rain to say that there are some streaks on her windows - I have done this work for about 7 years and every year she moans about something, including the bill which is a bit rich as they have a 6 bed house in about 2 acres, posh cars and this pond with about 20 koi over 2 foot long. They spend most of the winter abroad. He moans about the chlorinated tap water in his pond let alone hypo  ::)roll

Neil Jones

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2013, 04:22:03 pm »
I'm so happy that we've established the green credentials of hypo  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Just a shame I don't know what it will do to the stained decking.

BDCS

« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2013, 06:21:16 pm »
Post a photo. You should be able to just spray with the hypo and clean it but it will depend if the staining has started to peel and lift. Don't use high pressure or the turbo. just re do the missing stain to even the look out. I hate painted decks

Roger Oakley

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2013, 07:39:33 pm »
I'm so happy that we've established the green credentials of hypo  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Just a shame I don't know what it will do to the stained decking.

Has the deck been stained as in a solid colour or are you talking about stains as in grease, tannin stains etc?

Neil Jones

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2013, 09:36:26 am »
It's a soft wood that he has stained a solid colour last year. He said he cleaned it last year then applied the stain but it took him 8 hours just to clean, don't know why because he was using a Honda 15lpm. It's not even that bad so was thinking ill apply enough hypo to let it do its job then wash down on lower pressure.
I'm just concerned that the hypo will leave the stain lighter in places. It wouldn't be a problem if it was all uniform and faded a bit I just don't want patches.
He has asked me to reapply a stain for him but its not really my thing, I just enjoy cleaning. Instead he's getting his mate on £50 a day to reapply the stain.

Roger Oakley

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2013, 10:37:28 pm »
Hypo won't take out a solid stain properly, what satin was used, Cuprinol, Ronseal?
To remove the solid stain you will have to strip the deck.
But if you have already priced it, then waste of time, as you won't have charged enough.

Matt Gibson

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2013, 11:06:24 pm »
I dont think he WANTS to strip the stain, i think he is worried that the hypo will strip some of the stain out, and he doesnt want that to happen. He just wants to clean it.

Roger Oakley

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2013, 06:53:34 am »
I dont think he WANTS to strip the stain, i think he is worried that the hypo will strip some of the stain out, and he doesnt want that to happen. He just wants to clean it.

That's why I asked what brand of stain was used, as you can leave a deck patchy with some brands of stain with hypo. Maybe a photo of the deck would help OP

Matt Gibson

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2013, 07:13:43 am »
Ahh ok. i didnt think hypo would touch a stain. 

Neil Jones

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2013, 07:13:24 pm »
Exactly what I am worried about, I don't want to strip it i'm just concerned that the hypo will leaves patches. No pictures sorry, it was a dark oak cuprinol stain, it is very dark. I've got the work booked in for Monday, I may just have to clean it without hypo, or do a test area.

Roger Oakley

« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2013, 11:45:57 pm »
Neil,
If the guy is going to stain with the same product, then either do a water wash, or you could do a weak Oxi wash, Dark stains can be a pain if not stripping as they can go "patchy" with hypo as it is not a stripper. Water or weak Oxi will give you a clean surface to apply the "dark" stain to, which might be the best to hope for in this case.

Neil Jones

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2013, 01:54:54 pm »
I knew you where going to say that Roger :-(
Looks like it will just have to be a water clean, even though he's said he's having it stained again I don't want to leaves patches because I know he will try to make me do the stain for free then.
Cheers for the help

Neil Jones

« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2013, 10:12:44 pm »
Just to let you know Roger I did a simple pressure clean with water, it was fine, removed most of the built up algae etc but it did need stripping, which I didn't have time for. Anyway simple clean, customer happy, and got paid. Not really my thing decking, if the picture thingy worked i'd upload some before and after shots.

Roger Oakley

« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2013, 10:20:14 pm »
Just to let you know Roger I did a simple pressure clean with water, it was fine, removed most of the built up algae etc but it did need stripping, which I didn't have time for. Anyway simple clean, customer happy, and got paid. Not really my thing decking, if the picture thingy worked i'd upload some before and after shots.
Result