Cliff Horne

Pressure washing mentor wanted
« on: May 18, 2011, 08:15:06 am »
Hi

Started my pressure washing business in Feb concentrating mainly on tennis court cleaning plenty of work and I am fully booked till mid June,
I expect the tennis courts to go quiet soon and I am getting enquiries for other types of work, drives, industrial units etc, as  I have little experience of these and it would be nice to have a contact with someone who would give me advice on pricing, methods, chemicals, H & S and the like.
If you are interested in doing so could you let me have your number for an occasional chat, I dont want to have to keep asking questions on this forum as it takes too long to get a reasonable answer.

Btw im in Cornwall.

My number is 07980 273975

Regards
Cliff
Smart like a donkey, hung like Einstein

BDCS

Re: Pressure washing mentor wanted
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 07:54:52 pm »
Tell me the story so far or maybe I'll guess ! you've done a smartseal course - the smartseal library pictures give it away, they tell you they've told you everything you need to know and  really they just sold you a dream. I may be a mile from the truth but it says on your website how experienced you are. I never claim to know it all but if I can I'd help but sometimes you need to get it wrong to learn what dos'nt work - some throw brick acid at everything, some hypo and some TFR but everything has a place but where is the key. As for pricing - you only need to beat the nearest competitor by a penny if you can't sell on your service

Blast Away

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 08:41:38 pm »
Got no time for SmartSeal. Throwing up websites that dominate search engines when each of them consist of the same before and after images etc.

Matt Gibson

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 10:19:39 pm »
Smartseal? never heard of em... ???

I throw love at everything.... ;D

BDCS

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 01:11:58 am »
You throw your love over anything you want - you will need a protien stain remover ! Try bold or persil  :P

Matt Gibson

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 11:47:25 am »
The women custmers love it.. ;D

Rob_Mac

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 01:34:59 pm »
Cliff

I don't know about being a mentor but if no one has offered assistance then I would be happy to take any questions you may have.

Only last week we cleaned a 22000 sqm car park in Wakefield, client happy and onto another principle contractors list!!!!!!

Rob ;D

Cliff Horne

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2011, 07:24:39 am »
Tell me the story so far or maybe I'll guess ! you've done a smartseal course - the smartseal library pictures give it away, they tell you they've told you everything you need to know and  really they just sold you a dream. I may be a mile from the truth but it says on your website how experienced you are. I never claim to know it all but if I can I'd help but sometimes you need to get it wrong to learn what dos'nt work - some throw brick acid at everything, some hypo and some TFR but everything has a place but where is the key. As for pricing - you only need to beat the nearest competitor by a penny if you can't sell on your service

Yes I have done a SmartSeal course, by way of research.
Yes they supplied a website complete with pictures, it will do until my own website is built.
No they did'nt tell me everything I need to know, thats why I am on this forum.
No they did'nt sell me a dream, I've been in business long enough not to expect miracles.
You are not a million miles from the truth and I have lots of experience in cleaning and maintaining tennis courts and a few drives.
You never claim to know it all, me neither.
No I don't want to get it wrong to learn what doesen't work.
Don't want to throw the wrong chems at the wrong surface, thats why I need some guidance.
Beat my competitors by a penny, I'm not interested in doing cheap works.
Yes I will sell my service.
Your response, not very helpfull don't see the point of your post.

But thanks for your reply.

regards
Cliff

Cliff Horne

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2011, 07:28:20 am »
Got no time for SmartSeal. Throwing up websites that dominate search engines when each of them consist of the same before and after images etc.

Means to an end, they must be doing something right if they can dominate search engines.

Regards
Cliff

Cliff Horne

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2011, 07:31:58 am »
A BIG THANKS to the people that offered their assistance, very much appreciated, they know who they are.

Regards
Cliff

BDCS

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2011, 09:48:25 am »
I never declined assistance and I'm sorry you've taken offence - ho hum.  If you have a direct question and I know the answer I'd help.  :)

Cliff Horne

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2011, 10:39:14 am »
Thats OK I can take it, just felt like you were trying to run me down a bit, no probs.

Regards
Cliff

BDCS

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2011, 02:31:49 pm »
Its not you personally its the smartseal - anyone can do it, heres a days training, a website, most importantly the catalogue of products and off you go. Given this do you think it helps the trade be seen as professional ? I've seen so many start round here, do a pants job then disappear.

drive surgeon

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2011, 03:49:01 pm »
smart seal is poope  :)//  same websites for everyone connected with them. most of the long standing guys on here have their own work on the website, it takes years to build up a good work base. smart seal think they can just dominate the search engines and they will make a lot of money. well i can see them going the same as the drive doctor franchise.  i tell my customers not to bother with sealing as its a waste of time and money. im registered with resiblock. they keep sending me offers. they must be desperate now.

drive surgeon

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2011, 03:50:44 pm »
cliff just ask a question and we will help   :)

Cliff Horne

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2011, 03:51:27 pm »
Gotta start somewhere

drive surgeon

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2011, 04:01:10 pm »
cliff, have smart seal not given you any advice on health and safety and risk assessments etc?  if not. you need to see a health and safety offficer and get them to sort you out. you need a health and safety policy, knowledge of how to write a risk assessment, accident book, and learn to to write a method statement. might only cost you  over a hundred quid. but your website is saying you work on commercial premises etc. if you have an accident with noin of this stuff your business will fold. try get it sorted asap mate. ask questions here mate.

drive surgeon

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2011, 04:10:34 pm »
the likes of smart seal and resiblock dont give a flying F~uck about your business. they just want you to buy their products. all they show you is how to lay the stuff. they dont tell you much on pricing, h & s, etc.  its all for their own benefit. as long as they are selling their sealers the dont care if someone slips or trips on your hoses etc.  the sonner you have your h & s stuff in place the better. i would say if you are a franchise to ditch smart seal, make your own website with your own work pictures and make your own money. the job is hard enough without someone else taking a big cut.  good luck mate.  just post any questions if you need help.

thewaterwizard

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2011, 06:32:26 pm »
D S
its a web site and probibly works well
 you havent let us see yours yet !!

good luck cliff
robin

richywilts

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2011, 09:43:35 am »
BDCS is one of the most helpful persons on this forum hes helped me out a number of times and i have read many posts which carl puts a lot of effort into to give people correct advice, hes a guy with a lot of knowledge dont know where he stores it all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Richard Wiltshire
Window Clean Direct

richardwiltshire36@yahoo.co.uk
www.windowcleandirect.co.uk

Cliff Horne

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2011, 09:26:46 am »
Its not you personally its the smartseal - anyone can do it, heres a days training, a website, most importantly the catalogue of products and off you go. Given this do you think it helps the trade be seen as professional ? I've seen so many start round here, do a pants job then disappear.

I dont understand why you dislike Smartseal so much, its just another product supplier who want to sell thier stuff, yes they make it seem that its all so easy, but anyone with any savvy will see thro all the sales talk, I used them to gain knowledge of thier methods and sealants, also as I am a bit of a computer numpty they were very hepful setting up a website for me, I will over a period of time create my own but for now it serves a purpose, with regard to the trade being seen as professional thats down to the contractor not smartseal, i only asked for a mentor to help me be as professional as I can be.

Regards
Cliff

Cliff Horne

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2011, 09:40:06 am »
smart seal is poope  :)//  same websites for everyone connected with them. most of the long standing guys on here have their own work on the website, it takes years to build up a good work base. smart seal think they can just dominate the search engines and they will make a lot of money. well i can see them going the same as the drive doctor franchise.  i tell my customers not to bother with sealing as its a waste of time and money. im registered with resiblock. they keep sending me offers. they must be desperate now.

I have used Smartseal's product last year on a small number of drives and have revisited them just recently and spoke to the clients, all are very happy with it, I like to think I had a part in the jobs still looking good.
I dont reccomend sealing myself but the client gets what the client wants, if Smartseal give me an enquiry its because they want thier drive/patio sealing.
Personally the sealing is a pain in the @rse as I have to program in for good weather, although thats not been a problem this year.
Smartseal is not a franchise and they have been very helpful.

Regards
Cliff

Cliff Horne

« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2011, 09:45:09 am »
D S
its a web site and probibly works well
 you havent let us see yours yet !!

good luck cliff

Cheers Mate

Regards
Cliff

Cliff Horne

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2011, 09:59:39 am »
BDCS

I gather from your avatar that you do MotoCross, I sponsor a friends son who at 20yrs old has just started, 4 meetings now, he's averaging 15 place which is pretty good as the first 12 have a chance of winning the championship, I used to do this when it was called Scrambling, I won my first ever race, well up until the last lap when the coil bracket broke off, bit p1ssed about that as that would have been my best result ever.

Regards
Cliff

drive surgeon

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2011, 10:48:53 am »
if a driveway is sealed then chances are you wont be back again the next year.  with clean and sand you will be going back each year to clean those weeds and the moss off.  ;)    soanother reason to not seal.  i used resiblock which is the best, i am a approved installer of their sealants but not only is it such a pain in the ass, the moss forms on top anyway in the chamfers.  you need to wear breathing apparatus or a special mask as the sealants are full of dyisocynates which cause cancer. hope smart seal gave you the correct masks.

BDCS

« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2011, 10:08:07 pm »
BDCS

I gather from your avatar that you do MotoCross, I sponsor a friends son who at 20yrs old has just started, 4 meetings now, he's averaging 15 place which is pretty good as the first 12 have a chance of winning the championship, I used to do this when it was called Scrambling, I won my first ever race, well up until the last lap when the coil bracket broke off, bit p1ssed about that as that would have been my best result ever.

Regards
Cliff

I do enduros since we had the kids and the missus can't marshal anymore, the photo is from Weston. I never rode a crosser until I was 36 which is a bit old to start - I have raced everything from bangers to jetskis including go-peds at European level. I've not raced since boxing day as I'm stacked with work this year.

richywilts

« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2011, 07:10:26 pm »
carl have you heard of my mate lee jones he was british champion super moto if thats right
Richard Wiltshire
Window Clean Direct

richardwiltshire36@yahoo.co.uk
www.windowcleandirect.co.uk