Rob_Mac

Re: UK wide water supply
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2010, 07:09:33 pm »
That is wrong information.

Richy if you passed your test after 97 which 2001 is way past then it doesn't matter what you think you can tow, you can only tow up to 750kg.

If the trailer is 500kg unladen then you add 500 or 750 or 1000 litres of water you are going to be over your weight and driving on public highways, unless you fill up and empty on private property.

It has nothing to do with the difference between the unladen weight of the van and the gross weight - you can only tow up to 750kg full stop - until you do a trailer test.

Rob ;D

Alan McTernan

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2010, 07:53:48 pm »
Hi Rob,

Can't find my licence to check but i passed in 1994/5 what can i tow?

Cheers
Alan ;)

Rob_Mac

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2010, 08:43:52 pm »
Alan

You will be able to tow 3500kg on top of the 3.5 tonne gross van weight. I am certain that you can drive a 7.0 tonne vehicle and also tow a further 1.5 tonne - 8.5 tonne MAM.

Check that Alan just to be sure.

I missed it by six months passing in Sept 97, never really thought about it but now I really regret it because every time I want to add a category I have to resit a test.

People automatically assume that they can tow what they want, they can if they passed before 97 but not after.

Rob ;D

Rob_Mac

« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2010, 08:53:26 pm »
I passed my test in late 97 (after the deadline) I had to sit a driving with trailer test about 18 months ago and that entitles me to tow up to 3500kg on top of the van weight but the van has a maximum authorised mass of 5.5 tonnes so even though I can tow 3.500kgs the MAM of the van restricts the towing capacity to 2.5 tonnes.

It really is not straight forward.

Rob ;D

Rob_Mac

« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2010, 08:56:05 pm »
On top of that lot I am over 3.5 tonne with trailer so I have to have a tachograph fitted!! because I tow outside a 50km radius of my trading address.

Rob ;D

Blast Away

« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2010, 02:24:45 am »
and for the record it's United Utilities here and the stand pipe collection site is Warrington...unless changed. That was 2 years ago to my knowledge.

Roger Oakley

« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2010, 11:32:23 am »
That is wrong information.

Richy if you passed your test after 97 which 2001 is way past then it doesn't matter what you think you can tow, you can only tow up to 750kg.

If the trailer is 500kg unladen then you add 500 or 750 or 1000 litres of water you are going to be over your weight and driving on public highways, unless you fill up and empty on private property.

It has nothing to do with the difference between the unladen weight of the van and the gross weight - you can only tow up to 750kg full stop - until you do a trailer test.

Rob ;D

Don't really see how that is the wrong info?
What I'm trying to get across is he needs to know what is the laden weight of his truck before he even starts to think about pulling a trailer as the combined weights will more then likely throw him over weight what ever his licence is.

As for the licence's issue I don't have a clue of the new rules as I passed my test in the 70's and have a HGV class 1 but still have to stay inside the law though.