Richy L

UK wide water supply
« on: November 25, 2010, 01:10:03 pm »
Is there a way of getting water from anywhere in the uk?..

What i mean is, can you use a standpipe in any council area or is it location specific?

I have a job coming up that wil require a 700litre fill at 7/8 different locations throughout the uk.
Does anyone know how this can be done?

Roger Oakley

Re: UK wide water supply
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2010, 03:25:15 pm »
You will have to contact the water auth. for each location.
If they are different areas and that said area comes under a different water auth. then an application to each one will be needed. They also have different rules per auth. Some let you use your own stand-pipe some don't. All easy to do if you apply well ahead of the time that you need to use a stand-pipe.

Richy L

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2010, 04:56:58 pm »
hmm, seems like a lot of hastle!
The job may go ahead in January. you dont know of any places where you can buy water do you?

BDCS

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2010, 05:44:07 pm »
Its a pain, within about 10 miles of my house theres 3 different water companys. needless to say I don't have a licence

trevor perry

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2010, 05:51:09 pm »
richy if you need 1 in my area you can borrow mine and just pay me for water used maybe others on forum can offer same for their areas.
better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove any doubt

Paul Heath

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2010, 08:45:33 pm »
Same here if your in our area pop in and fill up just pay for what you use.
You could always sub it out to the differant areas? Just an idea

Richy L

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2010, 09:02:33 pm »
Cheers guys thats good of you.

I was thinking about hiring a bowser. If I hired a 2000ltr bowser how do you think it will affect my fuel consumption, etc?

Same here if your in our area pop in and fill up just pay for what you use.
You could always sub it out to the differant areas? Just an idea
I thought about it, but I would prefer to do the work myself really. cheers

Blast Away

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2010, 11:14:35 pm »
If you find yourself round my stomping ground you can hire my bowser, if I'm not using it at the time, of course.  ;)

Alan McTernan

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2010, 07:00:38 am »
Richy,

If you are down my way you can borrow mine, and just pay for water used ;)

Regards
Alan

Roger Oakley

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2010, 09:06:45 am »
I was thinking about hiring a bowser. If I hired a 2000ltr bowser how do you think it will affect my fuel consumption, etc?

Yes it will, but before you hire one make sure your truck/van can pull that weight. 2000lts will be in the region of 2000kg plus the weight of the empty bowser.

Richy L

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2010, 05:08:58 pm »
I have a vivaro LWB 1.9 turbo diesel.

I think I will need to use one. Its not practical refilling a 500 litre tank all the time

Roger Oakley

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2010, 08:52:15 am »
I would check what you can pull with that van, plus you need to work out what a full bowser and the van with everything you carry in it weighs.  You need to stay under 3.5 ton.

Richy L

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2010, 10:09:36 am »
It is roughly 1 ton for 1000 litres isnt it?
I may just get one that stores 1000litres and refill a couple of times.

Here is a link to payloads etc.
http://www.findvauxhall.co.uk/NEW_brochures/NEW_vauxhallvans_vivaro_movano_specifications.pdf
look at page 4..

I cant work out how much my van can tow can you? I will be carrying 500litres in the back of the van and I have a large pressure washer.

Rob_Mac

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2010, 11:26:11 am »
Allow for your weight, allow for fuel weight, allow approximately 120kgs for your pressure washer, allow for hoses and sundries.

As Roger knows I am having ongoing problems with my set up and I have a tachograph fitted.

If you go down the towing a bowser route what does your license allow you to tow. You may need to do a trailer test if you passed your test after 97 and if that is the case you can only tow 750kgs and may need to stay within a 50kms radius of your base.

If VOSA pull you and you are being a bit naughty (as far as your weight) they will put a prohibition notice on your vehicle. I know I have had one. VOSA are all over the place at the moment. Make sure you are complying. Sticking a trailer of any description on a van is asking for it. They told me that they are targeting this combination!!

Rob ;D

Roger Oakley

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2010, 02:51:51 pm »
Richy,
I think the safest way to sort this would be load your van up, with full tank of fuel & water, any items that you use or need on site , then go to a weigh-bridge and get weighed, then you have the laden weight of your vehicle and then you can add the say 2300kg of a 2000lt bowser to see if you are going to go over the 3.5 ton.

Richy L

« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2010, 03:00:46 pm »
Yeah, i think ill have to do that.

I passed my test in 2001 though, so I may not be able to tow a bowser. I'll have to make some phone calls

Roger Oakley

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2010, 03:04:44 pm »
Or go down the hydrant/licence route, it really isn't as difficult as it seems or is being made out to be.

Richy L

Roger Oakley

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2010, 03:10:07 pm »
Richy
It the water auth not the local council that issues hydrant licence's

Richy L