Adam Eastman

Dealing with Urine?
« on: March 31, 2016, 04:39:44 pm »
Just had client call me who I previously supplied with a impervious backed nylon carpet, which was fitted to a metal sub floor in a lift. Unfortunately someone has urinated in the lift and they have asked me to replace the carpet. I asked the client if she had attempted to get the carpet professional cleaned and she has told me she spoke to our local cleaner on the island, whom didn't go out to look at the carpet but has told her it can not be cleaned due to bacteria in the urine, and not being able to get rid of the smell and the only option is to replace. Just wondering if our client has been informed correctly? From my limited knowledge obtained so far, I thought cleaning would be possible.

Doctor Carpet (Ret'd)

Re: Dealing with Urine?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2016, 10:16:00 pm »
Certainly technically possible to clean but given where it is, the relatively small area and depending upon how much use the lift gets it may simply be more cost effective to replace.

I'm guessing the Chem Dry guy didn't really want the job but as with most things it's how you explain matters to (potential) clients as to whether they believe you or not.

Rog
Diplomacy: the art of letting other people have your way

Adam Eastman

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 10:31:48 pm »
Thanks for the feedback Rog

The carpet is going to cost £200-300 to replace, so if she could get it cleaned, it would make sense.

I was of the opinion the other chap just didn't want the job, he didn't even go out to look at what was involved.  From what I gather his reasoning for not being cleanable was to do with bacteria and in particular issues with hepatitis C, but from the powers of google I understand that is only spread from blood to blood contact.

John Kelly

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2016, 03:12:34 pm »
Would be easy to deal with and hazards from urine are very small. You could flood that out with a suitable product and extract and it would be sorted.

Adam Eastman

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2016, 04:56:09 pm »
That is what I thought John, but I called another carpet cleaner today, and again they didn't want to do the work.  I'm guessing they either have too much work on or do not have the knowledge to sort the issue. The firm I spoke with today told me he would probably have to go back two or three times to clean the carpet and the chances are the smell would still come back when the temperature increases.

John Kelly

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2016, 10:01:58 pm »
Crazy

Stoots

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2016, 10:30:52 pm »
Give it a quick clean and mask the smell with some deodorizer. Get paid. When smell comes back later don't answer the phone.

:-X