The Jester of Wibbly

Re: New here looking to start up
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2019, 07:13:59 pm »
You'll need a roof rack anyway to carry your pole. Doubt you will get it inside a punto.

Dont scrimp on pole quality you will regret it. Probaly will cost you your entire budget too.

Dont forget to upgrade your insurance.

Take your time and do some more research and use the time to save.  More you invest the more chance of success.

Claim your 50% off your mobile payment card reader with Sum Up.  http://fbuy.me/f7Ve3

Cookie

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2019, 07:30:17 pm »
To start off with why not just concentrate on bungalows where you can get away with trad (without ladders) - you may find you need a "hop-up" or some kind of step though...

OAPs generally live in bungalows & OAPs generally like clean windows. It does restrict you somewhat but at least it gets you into window cleaning and allows you to save up for some decent WFP equipment.

James Styles

« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2019, 07:41:39 pm »
I have a pinto like that stuck in the back of my mother in laws garage , from memory you would get 3  barrels in that and a backpack that’s your lot .
I think you need a rethink

3 barrels would be ok for me, only going to be using the wfp on top windows, plus I won’t be super busy for a while.

nathankaye

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2019, 07:41:47 pm »
Hence my reply. 
Hes really going to struggle with the budget he currently has. 
Yes a backpack from gardiners, plus vat and delivery is around £110 or  so and then he will need a descent trolley. Ie perhaps a handy sack trolley which is around 60 quid.  But what about a pole, spare pole hose and water production and storage.
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

robbo333

« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2019, 07:41:56 pm »
James

My advice:

Google: Gardiners water fed pole systems:
1. Backpack.
2. Clx 22'.
Plus all the correct connectors.
Find a local window cleaner, who sells pure water.

Also:
25 litre barrels x 8
Cloth for wiping ground floor window sills.

Plus:
Do some research
All the information is on this site (use the search facility)
All the information is on youtube.

Put the hours in, do the research and get in them corners!

"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

James Styles

« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2019, 07:42:42 pm »
You'll need a roof rack anyway to carry your pole. Doubt you will get it inside a punto.

Dont scrimp on pole quality you will regret it. Probaly will cost you your entire budget too.

Take your time and do some more research and use the time to save.  More you invest the more chance of success.

What poles would you suggest then? I will be able to fit the pole in my car.

James Styles

« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2019, 07:44:55 pm »
James

My advice:

1. Backpack.
2. Clx 22 foot.

Also:
25 litre barrels x 8

Plus:
Do some research

Thanks for the good advice and info mate. A question I have is where would I buy pure water and how much is it?
What connections would I need to buy?
It’s all new to me.

Shrek

« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2019, 07:45:05 pm »
Hi James - which area are you in? Maybe someone close to you on here might have a few spares you could have?

robbo333

« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2019, 07:47:52 pm »
James

My advice:

1. Backpack.
2. Clx 22 foot.

Also:
25 litre barrels x 8

Plus:
Do some research

Thanks for the good advice and info mate. A question I have is where would I buy pure water and how much is it?
It’s all new to me.

If you can't be arsed to do the research, then you won't make it as a window cleaner. It's up to you.
Sorry to be harsh.
"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

James Styles

« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2019, 07:48:00 pm »
Seems a lot of people try put you off on here (not all) but people talking about my car not being able to fit poles or barrels is negative to me, I’d make it work, doesn’t matter if I’d have to pull back seats down I’d have no issue and I’m determined, any actual advice on backpacks, poles, where to purchase water etc would be very welcome.

The Jester of Wibbly

« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2019, 07:48:09 pm »

Robbo has given some good advice above.

Clx or if can afford the better slx 18 or 22 for 2 story buildings.  An slx 25 good for 3rd floor town houses or reaching over larger extentions or conservatories.
Claim your 50% off your mobile payment card reader with Sum Up.  http://fbuy.me/f7Ve3

James Styles

« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2019, 07:49:14 pm »
Hi James - which area are you in? Maybe someone close to you on here might have a few spares you could have?

Hi I’m in Birmingham

James Styles

« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2019, 07:50:02 pm »
James

My advice:

1. Backpack.
2. Clx 22 foot.

Also:
25 litre barrels x 8

Plus:
Do some research

It’s all new to me.

If you can't be arsed to do the research, then you won't make it as a window cleaner. It's up to you.
Sorry to be harsh.

Ok cheers awesome  ;D

Shrek

« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2019, 07:52:00 pm »

Hi I’m in Birmingham

I think Oliver James is in your area and he sub contracts work to other window cleaners . I’m sure he’s on here somewhere

James Styles

« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2019, 07:53:03 pm »

Robbo has given some good advice above.

Clx or if can afford the better slx 18 or 22 for 2 story buildings.  An slx 25 good for 3rd floor town houses or reaching over larger extentions or conservatories.

Ok cheers pal, I’ve looked on gardiner website and this back looks good https://gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/all-products/pure-water-systems/portable-systems/the-gardiner-backpack/new-gardiner-pure-water-backpack-v3-22-litre.html
Would any pipe fit into this backpack or would it have to be gardiner brand?
Would the ones you mentioned fit with this?

James Styles

« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2019, 07:54:18 pm »

Hi I’m in Birmingham

I think Oliver James is in your area and he sub contracts work to other window cleaners . I’m sure he’s on here somewhere

That sounds good, I’d like to build my own round mainly though, just need to get all my gear, leaflets and business cards are ordered.

James Styles

« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2019, 08:05:09 pm »
Hi guys I’m looking for some advice here as I’m kind of in a predicament.

Im looking at starting up my own business as a window cleaner but from researching on here things are a lot more complicated then I thought.

I was originally looking at getting ladders but to get roof racks fitted to my car is very expensive due to my model of car and it being 3 door, would be looking at £100ish, so I then thought I’d be better off just going the wfp route to then find out all about having to use pure water which is more hassle and expense.

I have thought about using a long pole in traditional cleaning way but I’m not 100% sure I could do a top job which I want to do to keep customers and gain work. I could buy a soft roof rack (to use ladders) which is mainly used for surf boards so I’m not totally confident they would be safe.

what would your advice be on which way to go, my budget is £300, any help massively appreciated.

are you currently working?if so id wait until i had a bit more money together first.....also you need to find out the tds of your tap water...if its below 100 then DI only will be easier to purify your water....

forget ladders,wfp is the way to go.....your cheapest route will be a backpack on a foldaway trolley,a few 25L barrels and a 22 ft CLX pole from gardiners......also trad gear(14in squeegee,Tmop and scrims,bucket with a lid,detergent,scraper,etc)....

Hi mate no I’m not currently working so can’t save more, I’ve ordered my leaflets/business cards, I’m just now looking to get my equipment so I can start canvassing.
Would I need a TDS if I’d be purchasing pure water?
I have all the traditional equipment apart from ladders as I have no roof rack, I’m thinking the wfp route could be the best option.

James Styles

« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2019, 08:08:12 pm »
Is this a wind up or what 👍😂

What you on about?

nathankaye

« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2019, 08:09:08 pm »
Seems a lot of people try put you off on here (not all) but people talking about my car not being able to fit poles or barrels is negative to me, I’d make it work, doesn’t matter if I’d have to pull back seats down I’d have no issue and I’m determined, any actual advice on backpacks, poles, where to purchase water etc would be very welcome.

I hope you dont mind me asking, but how old are you?  Im guessing between 18 and 22 with this attitude.  You mentioned youve been researching on here and yet it appears you have not. Sorry if thats blunt.

The reason for the question about the car is for you to be safe in it with the extra weight and equipment that you would need and not about what you can squash into it.

If youve researched on here you will know theres basically 4 ways for you to get your water. This depends on your tap tds. Im sure from ur research you know what tds is.  From here you can either use just a DI or twin DI.     
The second option is to use a reverse osmosis. Either a small and perhaps cheaper option to begin with a small 350 gpd unit and storage tanks to hold the water. Or third, use a bigger, quicker RO like a 4040 and store your water.
The fourth is to buy your water of someone local or if you have a supplier like "spotless"water for instance.

Plenty of people are giving you advice, it depends on how you want to receive that advice to if you deem it negative or not.

Blunt perhaps but true
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

James Styles

« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2019, 08:12:35 pm »
I have a pinto like that stuck in the back of my mother in laws garage , from memory you would get 3  barrels in that and a backpack that’s your lot .
I think you need a rethink

I don’t have a pinto it’s a punto  :P
Also, cheer up will ya.