p1w1

Re: DIY diesel heater.....
« Reply #320 on: November 18, 2019, 06:43:52 pm »
is that at full flow rate?

dazmond

« Reply #321 on: November 18, 2019, 06:46:50 pm »
you dont want the water to be higher than 30-40c at brush head in this weather anyway...with 100m off your reel you lose a fair bit of heat on frosty/freezing ground......
price higher/work harder!

P @ F

« Reply #322 on: November 18, 2019, 07:08:09 pm »
is that at full flow rate?
All my figures are based on no higher than 2 LPM coming from Gardiner red fan jet pods
If anybody is a 5 LPM merchant then a 9 Kw Grippa is the way to go
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

Alex Wingrove

« Reply #323 on: November 18, 2019, 08:34:24 pm »
Alex I will see what I can do about the afterburners, I know a man that knows THE man  ;D

And that makes you a gentleman.

I bought the 8kw one for heating the van on winter nights. £110 for a heater or £100 for a new boiler, no brainier really.

Have lost 4 boilers over the years due to freezing.

P @ F

« Reply #324 on: November 18, 2019, 09:22:42 pm »
4 boilers wow  ;D
Daz went through a couple , but he used them to blow his eyelids off  ;D
Got my man on the case , will know shortly @ Alex W.  !!!

P @ F

« Reply #325 on: November 18, 2019, 09:25:36 pm »
Alex , how are you getting on with your heater, any problems?

P @ F

« Reply #326 on: November 18, 2019, 10:13:08 pm »
Alex , the wheels are in motion !

zesty

« Reply #327 on: November 19, 2019, 11:55:47 am »
I could start production tomorrow to be honest , my fabricator is waiting to go
I just need to road test mine a little bit more
Few little bits are to be changed as well to make it easier and cheaper to produce as it will need less bits from less companies

The money is waiting mate!

Spruce

« Reply #328 on: November 19, 2019, 02:12:15 pm »
Alex I will see what I can do about the afterburners, I know a man that knows THE man  ;D

And that makes you a gentleman.

I bought the 8kw one for heating the van on winter nights. £110 for a heater or £100 for a new boiler, no brainier really.

Have lost 4 boilers over the years due to freezing.

Alex, wasn't it you who put a photo up quite a few years ago now with three tankless gas heaters on your front bulkhead feeding into a single exhaust vent through the roof? (One each for the operators and a spare?)

If it was I often wondered how it went. I did look for the photo once but couldn't find it.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

NWH

« Reply #329 on: November 19, 2019, 05:19:41 pm »
I have turned my burner down to minimum and tbh in some rural areas it would still be to hot for a lot of windows.

dazmond

« Reply #330 on: November 19, 2019, 05:51:53 pm »
rich how are you going to vent the heater?obviously you ll need the exhaust  to be through the floor ideally...

personally i think your asking for trouble if your going to sell a cobbled together cheap chinese heater to other window cleaners.id stick to keeping it for yourself,that way if it blows up or catches fire then you ve only got yourself to blame......

dazmond

« Reply #331 on: November 19, 2019, 05:53:55 pm »
I have turned my burner down to minimum and tbh in some rural areas it would still be to hot for a lot of windows.

i run mine on full power all year round summer or winter.......its not advised to run these heaters on min settings(according to the manual i got from grippatank).....

zesty

« Reply #332 on: November 19, 2019, 06:26:56 pm »
rich how are you going to vent the heater?obviously you ll need the exhaust  to be through the floor ideally...

personally i think your asking for trouble if your going to sell a cobbled together cheap chinese heater to other window cleaners.id stick to keeping it for yourself,that way if it blows up or catches fire then you ve only got yourself to blame......

He can sell it without excepting liability Daz.

Come on now, don’t get all jealous just because you spend £950 million on a grippa tank one!

😜

NWH

« Reply #333 on: November 19, 2019, 06:29:59 pm »
I need to contact them mines due a service it would be too hot the water to run it full power,it’s cold or minimum at the moment the way it was first thing this morning

Jonny 87

« Reply #334 on: November 19, 2019, 06:31:27 pm »

i run mine on full power all year round summer or winter.......its not advised to run these heaters on min settings(according to the manual i got from grippatank).....

You sure about that one Daz?

I don’t think that’s in my manual.

The only recommendation I saw in the manual was that they don’t recommend turning the valves all the way down if you want cold water, and keeping the heater running.

If I ran mine on full blast I’d have 70 degree water even with 50 metres of hose out even first thing in the morning.

The valves are very adjustable, so Mayb yours is just set lower than mine already,

Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

dazmond

« Reply #335 on: November 19, 2019, 06:41:44 pm »

He can sell it without excepting liability Daz.

Come on now, don’t get all jealous just because you spend £950 million on a grippa tank one!

😜

why would i be jealous?seriously?ive already got a professionally fitted system mate....had it 2 years now.......

dazmond

« Reply #336 on: November 19, 2019, 06:49:42 pm »
I need to contact them mines due a service it would be too hot the water to run it full power,it’s cold or minimum at the moment the way it was first thing this morning

do you have another pump returning hot water back to the tank continously?mine doesnt so this could be why....mines still hot but around 40c at brush head with hose out on a frosty morning which is fine...i dont want it hotter than that....in summer its more like 55c-65c on a warm day(this is on full power setting all year round)

dazmond

« Reply #337 on: November 19, 2019, 06:52:43 pm »

You sure about that one Daz?

I don’t think that’s in my manual.

The only recommendation I saw in the manual was that they don’t recommend turning the valves all the way down if you want cold water, and keeping the heater running.

If I ran mine on full blast I’d have 70 degree water even with 50 metres of hose out even first thing in the morning.

The valves are very adjustable, so Mayb yours is just set lower than mine already,

oliver told me the best way to run these heaters is on full whack all day every day with min shut downs........i dont touch the dial,i just leave it on full heat setting all the time.....

P @ F

« Reply #338 on: November 19, 2019, 08:03:57 pm »
Daz , you really don’t like anything Chinese do you  ;D
It may be a cheap heater but it works in exactly the same manner that yours does , little drips of diesel fall onto the glow plug /screen , if a unit should catch fire the first thing to go would be the circuit board, this would cause immediate shut down including the fuel pump !
Everything else is metal apart from the heater casing which funnily enough is heat proof !
With regard to the exhaust , that has always exited through the van floor , again the same as yours!
The little bit of fume escape I had on early models has been addressed with the use of V bands , CNC machined for a perfect seal , they use these on vehicle turbos which leakage would not be acceptable!

So the only real difference is a massive price variation and the fact that yours is  ( Pro fitted )   ;D

Water in water out , diesel in fumes out  , power in  , it isn’t rocket science mate
I do think the way you see things is that if it doesn’t cost a lot it’s rubbish

P @ F

« Reply #339 on: November 19, 2019, 08:10:48 pm »
Don’t forget that what I have built over the last 12 months has been done on a shoe string  and I am well proud of what I have achieved with so little.
Would I have punted out the early models to other window cleaners ?
Definitely NOT as they were not ready .
Would I sell the latest one , YES  ;D