Amy

Newbie in need of help!
« on: May 13, 2006, 03:19:44 pm »
Hi there, i am new to this forum - which is great by the way! and i am trying to set up my own carpet cleaning business.  Can anybody tell me what insurances i need to do domestic carpet and upholstery jobs please?  Oh and apologies if i have posted in the wrong place - wasnt sure where to put my question.  Thanks in advance.

Amy

Re: Newbie in need of help!
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2006, 03:43:48 pm »
Am i right in thinking if i am working as a sole trader all i need is public liability insurance?

But if my family were involved i would have to take out employer liability insurance too - unless they were all self employed and i sub-contracted work out to them.  If i did this what insurance would they need - just pl insurance??  As you can see i am a little confused.

stains-away

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2006, 08:50:44 pm »
Hi Amy, really you would need both public liability and treatment risk insurance, Andy

Amy

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2006, 10:57:38 pm »
Thanks Andy...so would each member of staff (if they were self employed) have to have their own liability and treatment policies or would my policies cover them all?  Sorry to ask daft questions!

stains-away

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2006, 11:22:21 pm »
Firstly, the hard part would be finding enough work for one person for a start, the majority of cc's are sole traders,if you were in a position later on to take anybody on if they were emlpoyed on the books you would need to extend your policy to cover them, if they were sub contract I'd expect them to provide their own insurance, Andy

Amy

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2006, 04:24:00 pm »
OK so i am developing a business plan, searching for training course in carpet cleaning, health and safety and employment law in my area, i am looking at some machinary, i am designing flyers and putting out the feelers for business......

Anything else i need to cover?

Amy

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2006, 04:34:14 pm »
Also, with regards to health and safety training..is it advised to do a lengthy course that provides a qualification at the end or will a short certified course surfice?

stains-away

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2006, 06:03:08 pm »
The first thing I would suggest is to do a hands on training course, either manufacturers or ncca, then get some practice on friends and families carpets to see if you like the job, some people aren't cut out for this type of work, with regards health & safety training I wouldnt have a clue,I've personally never attended any, its all pretty much common sense, Andy

stains-away

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2006, 06:06:58 pm »
I think you will find the nearest training to you is with Extracta, they are based on Tyneside,although I havent attended any of their courses, maybe somebody further north may know of training more local to you, Andy

Amy

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2006, 07:45:11 pm »
Chers for that Andy..all advice duly noted!   ;)