Martin W

Advice for a New Starter
« on: December 09, 2005, 08:17:52 am »
Hi All,

I am interested in starting a Carpet Cleaning business as a sideline that will hopefully become a full-time career.

Obviously with no background in the trade I need some background information as follows:

I have a budget of around £1000 pounds, what is the best machine to get for under this bearing in mind that I'd need chemicals as well (recently had my carpets cleaned and the guy used a PowerMate machine ?

What Chemicals work best ?

What is the average room size, and how much to charge ?

What insurance cover should I go for ?

Should I insist on the rooms be cleared so that I am not liable for accidental damage ?

Any other advice would be welcome.

Regards,

Martin

Ian Gourlay

Re: Advice for a New Starter
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2005, 08:32:20 am »
Im not reccomending it but there is a Trader on Ebay who sells a NEW dual Vac Extraction machine for about £1000 if you find the right day.

I would suggest you look for a good second hand one.

A thousand is not enough to develop a full time bussiness, but if you have other income and put all your earnings from Carpet Cleaning back into it and make sure you invest in Training you might make it.

But it does take displine and dertimination to do trhis  and its a hard slog.

Ask yourself what is your end game. Marketing is expensive how are you going to find customers. Insurance is £300 a year plus  you might find it hard to get with no training

Have you a van or Estate Car.

If its just want  to make some extra money do not bother. Do Car Boots or Ebay  You could also do Car Boot Sales to raise extra Capital needed.

paul bruce

Re: Advice for a New Starter
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2005, 02:38:12 pm »
HI Martin let me know where are you based , as there are training courses in different parts of the country i could giude you towards.Training is important as you will also obtain a training certificate which helps with insurance.
A one day course costs in the region of £100 and are well worth going on.
Do this first then the next stage is the equipment and if you look on the UK carpet cleaning forum on this site there is lots of advice.
Meanwhile let me know where you are based regarding course advice.

here to help
Paul