Tosh

I'm a dizzy bint! (Vertigo)
« on: January 06, 2010, 11:41:56 am »
For the past few days I've been having dizzy/light headedness; some pretty bad.

It normally happens when I bend down and stand up; and on Monday (I worked) it wasn't much fun bending down to adjust a hose and then starting to WFP and then get all 'dizzy'.

It gets quite bad when I lie down, just for 10 seconds or so, the room spins like mad and I haven't been drinking (honest).  Wor Lass suggested it was vertigo, but I called her 'Welsh' (aka stupid) because I'm not scared of heights; I've done a two-week free-fall parachute course, how could I have vertigo, FFS?

So I thought it was a dodgy heart or a brain tumour or something, but after a some googling - DIY internet diagnosis is brilliant - I found that I do in fact have Benighn Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo.

How cool is that?  ;D

At least it's not a dodgy heart or a brain tumour!  ;D

cozy

Re: I'm a dizzy bint! (Vertigo)
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 11:46:37 am »
Googled it Tosh. Says something about latent homosexuality.

R W C™

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 11:46:54 am »
lol your misses is definatly welsh  ;D

stephen s

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 11:51:19 am »
do these attacks ever coincide with when Newcastle win a match ?    after all being top of the championship table is enough to send all georgies all dizzy  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

pingu

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 11:52:02 am »
Cozy I think you mis-spelled and it should be 'blatant'

weetot

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 11:53:32 am »
I had this about 10 years ago, would walk along the landing and just before walking downstairs a felt really dizzy.  It wasnt just stairs though, it was all over the place.

My mother and brother suffer from vertigo (not sure what type). But i,m fine now it only lasted about 2 weeks then disappeared.

Nightmare. :(
Never take financial advice from people who have no money!

cozy

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2010, 11:54:49 am »

Yeah Dave, didn't spot that tipo  ;D

R W C™

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2010, 11:57:44 am »
do these attacks ever coincide with when Newcastle win a match ?    after all being top of the championship table is enough to send all georgies all dizzy  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Is that his name when he dresses like his profile pic  ;D

Tosh

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2010, 12:00:48 pm »
;D >:(

it only lasted about 2 weeks then disappeared.

Nightmare. :(

Yes, it says a few days, a few weeks, or a few months; it's to do with 'crumbly bits' in your middle ear getting into places where they shouldn't and when you move in certain positions these 'bits' brush against hairs in your ear which are sensors.  Hence the confused messages and dizzy feeling.

These crumbly bits usually just dissolve or lodge in places where they don't affect you.  It's not bad enough to stop me working and I quite like the sensation funnily enough.

cozy

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2010, 12:03:06 pm »
A blatant homo with crumbly bits mate? You really want to go any further with this Tosh? ???

peter holley

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2010, 12:09:56 pm »
 ;D lol! ;D to lolsh, you can get t ;Dhat feeling wthout the drink....

cozy

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2010, 12:11:18 pm »
 ??? Looks like Tosh isn't the only one with it.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2010, 12:59:35 pm »
Get your blood pressure checked Tosh! Seriously.
It's a game of three halves!

gewindows

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2010, 01:11:50 pm »
Your problem Tosh is you suffer from Hypochondria.

Tosh

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2010, 01:12:24 pm »
Get your blood pressure checked Tosh! Seriously.

I'm seeing the Doc today at 5.30 about the vertigo, and I'm 99% sure that's what it is.  I did the Hallpike's Manoeuvre (google for it) which is a vertigo test (it involves lying down and turning your head to one side; I wish all tests were this easy) and I experienced what were the exact classic symptoms that were described.

So I'm pretty sure it's not my blood  pressure, but I am seeing the doc today about it.

Thanks, Malc, your concern is welcome.

PS.  While I was typing that I had a phone call from the docs and my appointment is now at 2.00pm because the doc wants to go home early because of the weather.  So I better get my arse in gear.

Tosh

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2010, 01:13:46 pm »
Your problem Tosh is you suffer from Hypochondria.
;D  Maybe.   :-[

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2010, 01:20:30 pm »

Wouldn't surprise me - bint means girl in "street" Arabic.

The word came into English after the second world war when soldiers returning from Egypt brought the word with them. The word in Classical Arabic is Ibna.

Frankybadboy

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2010, 02:24:42 pm »
just a update on tosh hes been put down to sleep. :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

yes it was that bad

gewindows

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2010, 02:26:56 pm »
Oh that'll just be something else for him to worry about healthwise then  ;D

Frankybadboy

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2010, 02:29:56 pm »
Oh that'll just be something else for him to worry about healthwise then  ;D
;D ;D ;D ;D he have to google it

Tosh

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2010, 03:01:55 pm »
It was what I googled!  So there!  :P

The doc made me lie down and put my in some strange positions to dislodge the 'crystals' in my ear; it seems to have worked, but on the info sheet he googled for, it say I have to sleep sitting up for 48 hours!!!!

I'll never be to sleep for 48 hours!  What's that about?

cozy

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2010, 03:04:12 pm »
Did he comment on your clothing Tosh? ;D

gewindows

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2010, 03:07:30 pm »
He closed the surgery door, suggested he needed to examine Tosh, but prefered him to stay dressed as he likes transexuals  ;D

wizard

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2010, 03:09:07 pm »
AS long as you not lying in the street and licking your knacks and eeting dog food you will pull through

jonnyald

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2010, 03:25:13 pm »

, but on the info sheet he googled for, it say I have to sleep sitting up for 48 hours!!!!

whens the marathon sleep start then ?  you must complete the therapy dont cut corners and only do 40

Frankybadboy

« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2010, 03:32:28 pm »
his wife cant wait for him to sleep for 48hrs, ;D ;D ;D :D :D :D

cant wait for the peace and quiet.and she can have a rest from the house work

Tosh

« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2010, 04:24:25 pm »
Did he comment on your clothing Tosh? ;D

He did actually!  Said I was his best looking patient that day.  Then he got me into some funny positions and made me dizzy.

Ruddy NHS!  >:(

weetot

« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2010, 07:57:54 pm »
My doctor holds me balls while he coughs......perks of his job i suppose.  ;D
Never take financial advice from people who have no money!

dai

« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2010, 11:12:08 pm »
Hi Tosh, glad it's not Meniers syndrome mate, that can be nasty, my late wife suffered with it for years, there's nothing you can do with that except lay down quiet until it passes. Stugeron travel sickness pills can help considerably with this, they work by sedating the middle ear.

Tosh

« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2010, 01:16:23 am »
Dai, I know someone with that Menierrs disease thingy, and you're right, its no fun.

But this sleeping upright for 48 hours has its perks.  I'm allowed to sleep downstairs on the sofa, beside a lovely big log fire, and I can play on the internet all night, 'cos Wor Lass is in bed.

Class. 

I am so sad, I know I know! ;D

cozy

« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2010, 01:17:50 am »
How ya going to sleep like that?

Tosh

« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2010, 01:22:55 am »
How ya going to sleep like that?

Like what?  Upright?  Nah, rollox to all that; I'm just going to kip on the sofa normal.  Wor Lass will never know and I quite like the dizzy sensation from the vertigo; its the closest I get to being drunk these days. ;D

cozy

« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2010, 01:24:25 am »
Did google it mate. Good look with the sofa lol :D

Polewash

« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2010, 08:35:01 am »

The doc made me lie down and put my in some strange positions to dislodge the 'crystals' in my ear; it seems to have worked, but on the info sheet he googled for, it say I have to sleep sitting up for 48 hours!!!!

Last time I went to the doctor she got me on all 4's and stuck her finger up my bum  ;D ;D. I always did fantasise about having a sexy Indian lady. Most likely the closest I'll get  ;D. She was a good looker too. She asked did I want a male doctor to do it, I said no, I'm not gay and you have smaller hands.  ;D ;D

John

gewindows

« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2010, 08:36:26 am »
People pay for that you know

So I've heard.  ;)

« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2010, 08:44:57 am »
For the past few days I've been having dizzy/light headedness; some pretty bad.

It normally happens when I bend down and stand up; and on Monday (I worked) it wasn't much fun bending down to adjust a hose and then starting to WFP and then get all 'dizzy'.

It gets quite bad when I lie down, just for 10 seconds or so, the room spins like mad and I haven't been drinking (honest).  Wor Lass suggested it was vertigo, but I called her 'Welsh' (aka stupid) because I'm not scared of heights; I've done a two-week free-fall parachute course, how could I have vertigo, FFS?

So I thought it was a dodgy heart or a brain tumour or something, but after a some googling - DIY internet diagnosis is brilliant - I found that I do in fact have Benighn Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo.

How cool is that?  ;D

At least it's not a dodgy heart or a brain tumour!  ;D

I've had this happen a couple of times recently too.  I have had other ear problems as well and need to be dewaxed occasionally.  I had a really bad one about a couple of hours ago and nearly fell over when I got out of bed.  I remembered your posting so came back for another look. I felt a bit nauseous too.  It prompted me to do a bit of googling too and I came up with a couple of self treatment videos here.  I post the link for you or anyone else that may find them helpful.  If you wish to download them it's probably better to right click and "save target as" because I think it just streams rather than saves if you do it the left click way.

http://www.neurology.org/cgi/content/full/63/1/150/DC1

Things seem to have settled down now without me copying what's on the videos.

Tosh

« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2010, 09:35:28 am »
Paul, if you go to the doc, he'll do some manoeuvres on you that'll shift those naughty ear crystals; its a very common problem.  He's sorted mine out by about 70%, but hey, I quite enjoy the 'dizzyness'; it reminds me of having a few drinks and being on a channel ferry crossing.  ;D

Wor Lass caught me throwing myself round the bed last week (not like that) just so I could get the 'high' from my vertigo! It feels good. ;D

« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2010, 09:42:47 am »
Paul, if you go to the doc, he'll do some manoeuvres on you that'll shift those naughty ear crystals; its a very common problem.  He's sorted mine out by about 70%, but hey, I quite enjoy the 'dizzyness'; it reminds me of having a few drinks and being on a channel ferry crossing.  ;D

Wor Lass caught me throwing myself round the bed last week (not like that) just so I could get the 'high' from my vertigo! It feels good. ;D

Can you get those ear crystals on prescription?   ;D

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2010, 09:43:25 am »
I get swollen Eustation tubes occassionaly due to the cold

simon w

« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2010, 09:48:09 am »

Yeah Dave, didn't spot that tipo  ;D

Cosy I think you mis spelled and it should be "typo"  :)