peter holley

Re: Racism / ignorance
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2009, 08:22:45 am »
I had to laugh at Bobby's post about the old git forgetting who he is, but Im sure Shirley is right about the excuses some of us use when we dump some of our mouldy custards.

I sometimes say, I'm sorry, but due to demand .. I only clean larger properties..... this really confuses them especially if they are well to do  :D

Sean Dyer

« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2009, 10:33:05 am »
i suppose as im still building my work and trying to get staff on board, i need all work i can get and put up with more than i would if i had the choice ie loads of work and one man band, but one day soon there will be a cull and i will remmeber every lil annoyance :)

i have cut loose alot of work in the past though from evrything from bad payers, too them annoying me...

Murdie window cleaning

« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2009, 10:58:27 am »
There is no need for racism but unfortunatly it does exist, mainly in the older Daily Mail reader type. The job I have recently parted from I employed quite a few foreign workers. There was Indian, Pakistanie, Poles, German, Portugies and French and on the whole they were far more respectfull towards customers and Management than the local guys.

But I lost count of the amount of customers who as soon as they heard a foreign accent asumed they were thick and inferior for some reason and if truth be known these were highly educated workers who were working to fund there education and better there grasp of the English language.

matt

« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2009, 11:19:48 am »
are the polish a race then ? ?? ? ? ?

TonyD

« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2009, 01:32:40 pm »
There is no need for racism but unfortunatly it does exist, mainly in the older Daily Mail reader type. The job I have recently parted from I employed quite a few foreign workers. There was Indian, Pakistanie, Poles, German, Portugies and French and on the whole they were far more respectfull towards customers and Management than the local guys.

But I lost count of the amount of customers who as soon as they heard a foreign accent asumed they were thick and inferior for some reason and if truth be known these were highly educated workers who were working to fund there education and better there grasp of the English language.

That's what happened here, I didn't knock the house because I thought there was another reason because 3 neighbours said don't knock at that house with polish in it, I thought maybe they where a bunch of partying louts or something,  or didn't speak any english at all.  Turns out it was just ignorance, and because they spoke a different language and came from a different culture /country they somehow wouldn't want to pay for window cleaning it seems ::)   Narrow minded is all it is. 

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2009, 05:12:11 pm »
At least no one has mentioned the Irish,... :)

« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2009, 05:15:48 pm »
as long as you have a potato you're happy ;)

kordun

« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2009, 05:49:47 pm »
Only problems we have are asian or posh people
Asian always try to negotiate and lower price, often unhappy with work(want free window cleaning)
Cleaned windows on big mansion house over 40 windows and huge conservatory. We charge about £140 other places and she said if we do it for £70 its our house every 6 weeks. Asking for barging and paid over 5 million for house

cornelius jemmerso

« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2009, 06:03:38 pm »
 once got asked to quote a c****ey takeaway , inside and out ,including the blinds - now i was GREEN and  very desperate at the time but was told my price of a fiver (every 2 weeks) was RIDICULOUSLY HIGH.

all those step forward who have been paid top dollar by a pure bred chinese ???????

wizard

« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2009, 09:44:21 am »
I was born in the Uk spent all my life living in South Africa, in general people treat me well. But some times customers expect more for nothing because they think I am from another country. The ignorance of some people is astounding.

dazmond

« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2009, 09:54:23 am »
i find asian familys want them done for next to nothing or not at all!!quite a few of them dont mind having minging windows!!i usually steer clear for the simple reason they dont want them done more than twice a year and for 50p!only my experience in 15 yrs of WC. ;D ;D
price higher/work harder!

jeff1

« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2009, 09:54:57 am »
Some of the nicest custy's I have are Chinese, always happy to see you, always offer a drink, always pay more than you asked for and I was even offered a meal at one of them and all of them are always polite.

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2009, 11:36:46 am »
Some of my best customers are Polish. I always get greeted with a smile, always very appreciative of the service, more often than not they slip an extra €5 into my hand, and very trusting too. I cleaned a house for a Polish lady this morning, charged €25 as it was a first clean and she tried to pay me €40!
Another first clean 3 weeks ago, who has never met me and only communicated via text or e-mail, hid her back door key and asked me to clean the insides too, and left payment on the dining room table for me!

ryanst1982

« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2009, 12:47:17 pm »
Think the moral here is no matter what your race or where your from, some people are just awkward no matter what walk of life there from. Im sure everyone on here has had a bad experience in work or life in general with every race there is, and im sure we have had good ones with each type to. For me the most awkard people are the middle aged middle classes but thats just my experiences. We will all have had different im sure.
Theres good and bad in everyone. (except Tottenham fans, there all bad) Just Joking ofcourse

« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2009, 12:54:51 pm »
I find the English the worst  ;D

Its the  foreigners I like, so long as they have a foreign accent or cant speak the lingo then Im happy.

I put the phone down on someone last week cos he was called John Smith and spoke with a cockney accent  ;) Cant be working for em  ;D

Murdie window cleaning

« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2009, 03:08:28 pm »
Some of my best customers are Polish. I always get greeted with a smile, always very appreciative of the service, more often than not they slip an extra €5 into my hand, and very trusting too. I cleaned a house for a Polish lady this morning, charged €25 as it was a first clean and she tried to pay me €40!
Another first clean 3 weeks ago, who has never met me and only communicated via text or e-mail, hid her back door key and asked me to clean the insides too, and left payment on the dining room table for me!

That's mad. Not for one second am I saying your untrustworthy, but this person doesn't know you at all and they are leaving a key for you to enter there house unacompanied. Mind you we will all have done it with trades men that have done work on our holmes, but I normaly meet them and discuss the job with them first and I would always go with one who was well established.

martinsadie

« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2009, 04:24:52 pm »
i find asian familys want them done for next to nothing or not at all!!quite a few of them dont mind having minging windows!!i usually steer clear for the simple reason they dont want them done more than twice a year and for 50p!only my experience in 15 yrs of WC. ;D ;D
ive had a good few of them, stay well clear of some streets where they are massed,the ones mixed in with whites tend to be ok

cozy

« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2009, 04:32:20 pm »
I find the English the worst  ;D

Its the  foreigners I like, so long as they have a foreign accent or cant speak the lingo then Im happy.

I put the phone down on someone last week cos he was called John Smith and spoke with a cockney accent  ;) Cant be working for em  ;D

That was me you plonker! ::)

steveo22

« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2009, 04:40:14 pm »
Better to work for a Pole than against one! There's a Polish guy round my way pricing fellow window cleaners out the market, £6 for a 88 window stately home ;)

geefree

« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2009, 04:51:53 pm »
Better to work for a Pole than against one! There's a Polish guy round my way pricing fellow window cleaners out the market, £6 for a 88 window stately home ;)

he aint pricing no one but himself out of the market.