Jeff Brimble

Sorry, applogies Cozy as you said it wasnt your posting. But it is interesting watching you sweat  ;D

cozy

I hope you haven't misunderstood me too, I said Tommy Jackson usually posts good answers but I think even he has misunderstood what I meant.

I'm not having a pop at Tommy

cozy

Sorry, applogies Cozy as you said it wasnt your posting. But it is interesting watching you sweat  ;D

GIT ;D

Window Washers

I hope you haven't misunderstood me too, I said Tommy Jackson usually posts good answers but I think even he has misunderstood what I meant.

I'm not having a pop at Tommy

I never thought you did m8  ;) I was more pointing out why some people do not post, I think they should everyone has something they can bring to the table.
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

ftp

Ewan, why is it whenever things 'kick off' on this forum you are always in the middle of it? Do you enjoy it  ???

tomy jackson

sory but i wos on this bit of the post  /   Some WFP guys need to stop and think why it is that EVERYONE isn't using it.
PS i think youal find im not a snob

Darren O

Iam 60/40 traditional i like WFP it works well on some parts of my round but on other parts ladders are better and quicker if you use common sense when your working of ladders you wont have any problems its when you start to get careless accidents can happen.

macmac

LOL, I’m not in the middle of them all.

I do think it’s good to look at the possibilities to improve my/your window cleaning, the only really way to do that is to entertain new ideas.

You will always get people stuck in there ways offering resistance only based on what they know or think they know, or taking offence because it challenges there understanding or just makes them feel uncomfortable.

I could give you a very simple hypothetical, but that would put me in the middle even more.   ;D ;D

99.9% of us know what you know (& more), we just don't think that this knowlege is anything special or worth ramming down others throats every day.

cozy

Why don't you open your own thread on this subject Ewan, then you can argue with yourself.

Jeff Brimble

He knows he wouldnt be by himself I try to help everybody, Squeaky was by far the hardest to change  ;D

pingu

Cozy...Look forward to you coming over and I'll let you drool over my set-up...perhaps if you're a good lad at making the tea and doing my poor mans work I'll let you use my backpack for a fee...You should know your place and stay there...!

Chaps..were all in the same game...just some strive for different things within it and outside of it...

Perhaps the owners of this site could make a division for both trad and wfp...it may help in that those with differing intrests and issues within the same industry could be better 'handled' by our community here?

Lets all hug and kiss...me first... :-* :-*

Dave.

martinsadie

sory but i wos on this bit of the post  /   Some WFP guys need to stop and think why it is that EVERYONE isn't using it.
PS i think youal find im not a snob

i know youre not a snob Tomy  :D

martinsadie

We are all window cleaners. That's what we do. Nothing more, it's not as skilled and technical as some pretend it is. How long does it take to train a windy so that he can work most jobs alone? Not a 3 year course is it?

Training? Was ist training? I did a job 2 days ago, while I was doing outs the custy did ins....her result was no better no worse than I could have achieved...hate to say it she may have done 'em slightly better :(
sign her on  ;D

Ian_Giles

just recently I did a job where I had to go back on the ladder for a few windows that had to have an initial builders style clean, and it is only really when you go back and work off a ladder that you realise just how dangerous ladders are.
Some of the heights and risks I have taken in the past make me wince now when I think about it, but when you are using them all the time you become very blasé about it, how many of you will dangle a leg out when you are 30ft up as a counter balance when you are reaching just that little bit further rather than climbing back down the ladder to move it a few inches...and please don't tell me you never do it or haven't done it!
When you are up the top of a ladder cleaning a 6ft tall window you are on the last but one rung of the ladder, hell, often you can be stood on the very last rung of the ladder, balancing on the balls of your feet, virtually on tiptoe and gripping a bit of window frame between thumb and forefinger with one hand while the other hand is fully stretched out cleaning the top of the window....and that is just one example of high risk (not necessarily reckless risk either).
When we hear of someone dying as a result of falling off a ladder it simply highlights those dangers. But should ladders be banned outright?....of course not! You can't eliminate all risk after all and there are many occasions when using a ladder is the most practical method of working.
Elf & Safety can't simply turn around and ban ladders, there are tens of thousands of people in all manner of trades using them, for us window cleaners there is an alternative in most situations, and that of course is WFP, it doesn't eliminate ladders because there are too many occasions when they are the only reasonable option.

It's no good all you die hard ladder monkeys squawking though! WFP is fast becoming the industry standard for the cleaning of windows at height!! It does a good job (most of the time) and you can't plummet to your death with both feet on the ground! And of course it is also affordable.

There may be other health issues of course, RSI springs to mind and various other strain type injuries and it does carry far greater running costs, you also continue to need trad skills too and  it also means a more complex business, not that the cleaning of windows will be any more complex or difficult of course but some ordinary Joe starting out with WFP will not make allowances for the increased running costs and he - or she - will equate the money they turn over to wages just as the majority of window cleaners have always done...a shame that...but there you go...

Viva la WFP!  ;)

Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

tomy jackson

you can see hes bin and dun sum un safe things in his time and sadley when trad that wos the norm

R W C

One thing I dont understand is that most people say they have moved over for safety purposes but i see people trailing hoses down a street about 50 metres to do shop fronts, why arent these done trad, it must be quicker and safer,ive even seen this done during that cold spell we had and water freezing on floor, crazy.

ftp

Probably they are the guys who can't do trad.

martinsadie

Probably they are the guys who can't do trad.
anyone can clean windows which ever method its not rocket science ,its just some are better than others  ;D

tomy jackson

im sory if any ones got the wrong i der about the safety i dident go WFP for other peps safety but my own safety , i kowe that may seme selfish , as for icey bits ido thow salt by shops

pjulk

I think its down to the window cleaners in the method he use's.

I personally prefer traditional but most jobs i do i do it with WFP only because its quicker.

For me safety does not come into in window cleaning has always been a dangerous job,
If you come into window cleaning you have to realise you could possibly get hurt or even worse.

You can reduce the risks in whatever method you use.

WFP has risks also, Like tripping over things which all WFP chaps will do at some time.
Also electrocution i think would be a higher risk than with ladder.

We all just need to take a bit of care.