Skyglide

Customer list what do you use?
« on: August 08, 2007, 03:03:23 pm »
Hi all
I want to set up a data base with a customer list on computer. Want to print out a copy and keep it with me, want to be able to use the info to send letters to customers.

Going to start using George, but cannot put past data in so hence the need for a separate list.

Not really a computer person, but willing to try if I have the right thing in the first place. All advice welcome before my head explodes!
Chris

Paul Coleman

Re: Customer list what do you use?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007, 05:49:59 pm »
Hi all
I want to set up a data base with a customer list on computer. Want to print out a copy and keep it with me, want to be able to use the info to send letters to customers.

Going to start using George, but cannot put past data in so hence the need for a separate list.

Not really a computer person, but willing to try if I have the right thing in the first place. All advice welcome before my head explodes!
Chris

I use the database in Microsoft works myself but it can be done in any database program.
I use the database for my customer names, addresses, prices, due payments, date of visit, agreed interval between visits date of next visit (calculated from the previous two items), phone numbers, fax numbers, email addresses, payment reference numbers (door number+postcode), and even a field to say if the account is suspended.  Any of that data can be used in a mailmerge document to customers or for address labels (don't do what someone did at a credit card company for wealthy people.  They called the customer name field "richbas****".  The letters went out with the field name on instead of the data within that field.)   :)

The same stuff is available in Microsoft Office but that costs a fortune.  A program called Open Office is available for free download at www.openoffice.org and is supposedly compatible with MS Office.

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2007, 05:50:15 pm »
Notebook and pen.  ;)

Paul Coleman

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2007, 05:53:07 pm »
Notebook and pen.  ;)

Is this going to be the tech version of WFP vs. Ladders?   :)

colley614

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2007, 05:54:13 pm »
Yeah shiner is spot on there use the database in Microsoft works. It is really handy and quite easy to pick up. Remember to write a list of the fields you require as I'm sure its a pain to do this afterwards

Paul Coleman

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2007, 05:58:55 pm »
Yeah shiner is spot on there use the database in Microsoft works. It is really handy and quite easy to pick up. Remember to write a list of the fields you require as I'm sure its a pain to do this afterwards

I even have a field that counts down the number of days to the next visit and call it countdown.  It has the formula:-     =NOW()-nextvisit      where next visit is the date of the next visit and NOW() is today's date.  Databases tend to treat dates as raw numbers when making such calculations.

DASERVICES

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2007, 06:26:27 pm »
I have mine telling me when it's due to be done, problem is everthing is overdue as it's been some months since I updated it. ;D

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2007, 06:31:11 pm »
I have mine telling me when it's due to be done, problem is everthing is overdue as it's been some months since I updated it. ;D
You see, I don't have these problems.

Although I did tread on my pen the other day.
That disappointed me somewhat.

bumper

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2007, 06:51:29 pm »
I use a book and pen and when im paid i put a P in for paid, if dornt pay i circle it and put dn at side defnalty  not  paid aid easy as that,if you any questions dornt be afraid to ask.

clearview cleaning

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2007, 09:47:11 pm »
Hi this is my 1st post - We have started using a handheld pda - after 11 years of using notebook then spreadsheet i gave in to technology and got one. I have to say its the bizz! No more soggy pages or re printing on the pc. I have excel running on it with all work listed then when we i get back just hot sync it to pc and the file on pc is updated. No going back! Hope this helps.

dai

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2007, 10:47:39 pm »
Electronic devices are fine untill they go wrong.
I use 6"x 4" stock cards. Each has it's own plastic sleeve, and they all fit into two 6x4 photo albums. Each card covers a street or small area. The cards are printed with horizontal lines only, I put the columns in myself. Ist column is the house no,
second column the customers name, third column the price of the job. The remainder of the card is filled with narrow columns that make little boxes. I tick the box if they pay, put a zero in if they don't. I then strike through the zero when they do pay.
It is such a simple and infallible system, I have used it since I started, and others cleaners have adopted it when they have seen it.
Always wise to have hard copy in case of major system failure. Dai

Tried posting a copy but won't let me.                                       

Skyglide

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2007, 11:29:16 pm »
Many thanks for taking the time  on my question every one.
Clearview - I agree and intend to use a Palm and pocket George for the day to day worklist,etc.
Dai - You have a mind like me - hard copy every time and something you can alaways refer back to.  However we are growing rapidly, have 2 employees on really good money and I have to get this sorted and future proofed. Computer is the only way.
Shiner and Colley614 you are bang on and probably a bit younger than me or have had jobs that entail computer knowledge. My computer has Office, but not Works, so I'm downloading fro the openoffice link.
See what I can do tomorrow after cleaning even more windows and giving quotes!
Chris

dave0123

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2007, 11:35:23 pm »
I use george!

for £50.00 it really is a good buy! does all my end of year accounts to.

Squeeks.. how does the notepad work?? each page for 1 customer and work through it all to page 1 again??

I wouldnt no you see as i have never used a paper system.. in 2003 i started with George stright away.

Dave
Dave.

macmac

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2007, 11:36:04 pm »
Talk about complicating the uncomplicated :-\

PDA's, data bases, jesus, i thought this was a window cleaning forum. ;D

tony

macmac

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2007, 11:39:29 pm »
reminds me of a pal, he got sat nav, best thing since sliced bread. He drives the same route every day to work & back which is 3 miles from his home & sometimes picks his kids up from school.

tony

dave0123

« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2007, 11:44:59 pm »
reminds me of a pal, he got sat nav, best thing since sliced bread. He drives the same route every day to work & back which is 3 miles from his home & sometimes picks his kids up from school.

HAHAHAHAH!  ;D

I Actully do have one.. think its great for quotes because u sometimes miss read what the persons say etc... i just make sure i get the postcode its great. specially on those big long roads!!!! were it takes you stright there.

Dave
Dave.

aztec

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2007, 11:54:05 pm »
no 2 days are the same!!!

never make a promise you cant keep

vwm

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2007, 07:27:52 am »
for £50 george is a great program just wish that when you put in rounds they all come up in the dairy view like if you put them all on the main round. just remember to back it up every night on a stick or disc

Paul Coleman

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2007, 07:41:47 am »

PDA's, data bases, jesus, i thought this was a window cleaning forum. ;D

tony

;D
I realise that some of the posts may look complicated.  The beauty of the way that I do it is that only the setting up is a bit complicated.  Once it's done, it's a lot easier to maintain than paper records.  I can have a complete list of who owes me money with a few mouse clicks.  Likewise with work that is becoming due.
It's one of those things that is more complicated to explain than it is to do.

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2007, 08:11:41 am »
Couldn't agree more Tony.

Squeeks.. how does the notepad work?? each page for 1 customer and work through it all to page 1 again??
I just write down what I do each day.

At the start of each day I look back 4 weeks to see what's due.
Most of the time I don't need to though, as I know my round.

It just reminds me if I've got any relatively new ones.