KJG

Re: new starter - tales to tell
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2006, 10:56:45 pm »
Sounds like you're doing OK bar the laddering. WFP has already been mentioned and that is definately the way to go. Until you get there though, I'd recommended flogging the aluminium ladders and get a proper wooden industrial set - wire strung with ally rungs. The extra weight and slight give makes laddering a lot safer - and quieter.

steve k

« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2006, 08:27:59 am »
KGJ...I posted the original thread 18 months ago and have now progressed to van mount WFP.
I left my full time office job in July 2004 and went full time window cleaning. When I say full time, I mean in the early days, it was 2/3 days a week work and the rest canvassing.
I am now in the position of full, good paying work at 4/5 hours a day probably at 75% WFP with obvious room for more but only at right price.
I am using this new year period to deliver canvassing material to the customers who have not approached me yet on those runs which pay the best for me. I am also canvassing a number of housing developments where there are a lot of UPVC windows over bays/porches and will stick rigidly if asked to min £10 per clean.
I am increasing all charges of existing customers who I undercharged when taking on as a new starter and will drop any that do not accept and replace with new higher paying customers.
A new year to brush out the old and welcome in the new ;D
I`m really looking forward to developing and fine tuning my round this year and enjoying the rewards.

mick hay

« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2006, 11:00:43 am »
I started last june, had a midlife crisis, sold my pride and joy mercedes gave up my freelance advertising and went and got myself a van and van mount!!.Never cleaned a window in my life!!! Was fed up being at home working on the phone all day!! i started door knocking and got a few customers but am restricted to times i can knock as im on my own with my 7 yr old lad. so went and got 10,000 leaflets, a proffessional company to deliver them and gained an extra £850 to date from them!! another 20,000 going out in new yr. i have a minimum charge of £10, and £75 for conservatory roofs and cladding cleans.i must say, even when its lashing down or freezing, ive finally found what i enjoy. Excited about this yr and what its going to bring,Never looked back!!! ;)

Ben Walker

« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2006, 03:52:38 pm »
Steve, this was one of my posts and replies 3 or so months ago:
Ben-chan
Cleanitup Sr. Member

Re: Training for newcomer- glasgow, scotland...?
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2005, 01:38:56 PM »     

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  hmm, why do i get the impression i'm pishing against the dourrr scots wind on this one. It all seems so bonnie down south, you guys all mucking together
phoned couple guys up -they prefered to try a dissuade from the business. can't believe its that competative? Next door said they need a w/c so theres me starter, i'll practice on theirs. 
still, could do with some on the job advice with ladder thing, what to get how to use etc and any inside info on licence and any specific regs in scotland would do a treat.
better to start in the know rather than p around in ignorance.
Gordons- why are you asking me if i've got any eqpt or customers yet? (as if you doubt my intentions) May i say, since your in the business up ere and joining in the forum why don't you at least give us some advice, even if its just:
"look mate, to be perfectly honest, i wouldn't bother window cleaning in glasgow, you'll only get agro"

benchan 

jonathanoneill
Cleanitup Newbie

Re: Training for newcomer- glasgow, scotland...?
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2005, 03:17:14 PM »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
don't let anyone put you off, if you do a good job, go where you like, don't try and poach thats bad, to get started, get up earlier work longer work harder than any possible competition, while they are having a cup of tea you are working, while they are taking a long lunch you are still working, practise practise practise, be reliable and your good reputaion will proceed you and business will come your way, get a free listing on yell.com, get some leaflets done, and get insurance, put this on your leaflets, people will want someone they know is insured if something happens on there property, also help if you need to put prices up. 

Cheers Jonathan

...and i remember talking to a w/c on the street who said, "yeh, the problem is man getting the business"

£10,000 per year now, pay rate at least 20 an hour, aint a bad start me thinks!  ;D
It goes to show though doesn't it!

i do have the benefit of not having to go full time, so i'm about half-way to my full time work-load.

Building an intentionally part-time round has been interesting as with-out the pressure of having to fill 5 days a week i made most of my work less regular, like 2 monthly or big houses quarterly, but priced it up. customers pay less over the year, say 60 per quarter instead of 30 a month for big house, but i earn more -£60 per 2 hours work instead of half that.  a recomendation for anyone starting

ben

KJG

« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2006, 05:21:16 pm »
KGJ...I posted the original thread 18 months ago and have now progressed to van mount WFP.
I left my full time office job in July 2004 and went full time window cleaning. When I say full time, I mean in the early days, it was 2/3 days a week work and the rest canvassing.
I am now in the position of full, good paying work at 4/5 hours a day probably at 75% WFP with obvious room for more but only at right price.
I am using this new year period to deliver canvassing material to the customers who have not approached me yet on those runs which pay the best for me. I am also canvassing a number of housing developments where there are a lot of UPVC windows over bays/porches and will stick rigidly if asked to min £10 per clean.
I am increasing all charges of existing customers who I undercharged when taking on as a new starter and will drop any that do not accept and replace with new higher paying customers.
A new year to brush out the old and welcome in the new ;D
I`m really looking forward to developing and fine tuning my round this year and enjoying the rewards.

Sorry Steve, I didn't clock the date :-[ I'm blaming drink and a house full of unmoveable relatives!