Simon Trapani

Plastic Barbed connectors leaking
« on: November 08, 2019, 08:50:31 pm »
So I had to renew my pole hose - no big deal. I cut of the the o clip with pincers & cut the pole hose lengthways  down the tube so I can pull it off my univalve. Trouble is I've gone too deep with the stanley knive and made a slight slice into the univalve barb. When I put the new pole hose on & clamp it up I get a leak. i'm sure it's this fine slit. I've dismantled again & smeared some two part epoxy round the barb to hopefully fill the slit.

What do you guys do to get the pole hose off any barb connectors? Just go careful & not cut so deep or dip in hot water? You can't just yank it sideways or it'll rip apart or snap.

Splash & dash

Re: Plastic Barbed connectors leaking
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2019, 08:52:48 pm »
I would have done exactly the same as you but being careful not to cut to deep

windowswashed

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2019, 09:37:28 pm »
I would have cut about a centimetre from the barb with a slit and open the slit up so the barb is loose enough to slide out.

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2019, 10:31:45 pm »
I cut the hose same as you and go too deep at times also. I don't get leakes from it though, I heat the new hose up in boiled water, slip it on and while it's still warm and soft I fit a small cable tie really tight. With the hose being soft the cable tie will cut into the hose and mould it sealing any imperfections in the surface of the barb. I never use metal o rings, my entire system is connected and sealed this way.
Comfortably Numb!

DeLuce

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2019, 10:10:15 pm »
I also cut the hose off in the same way, and sometimes I cut into the plastic, but so far, never had a leak.
  But Peavey, I like your idea with the cable ties. I’m going to try that method.
Cheers :D