spudd

Portable card payment machines... Any good?
« on: November 07, 2019, 07:41:53 pm »
Toying with the idea of getting one just for ease.

Looking at what’s the best one to go for, good deals  pro and cons on which one to go for if I do as I’ll prob just use for the odd jobs.

Seen a few but all seem to offer the same kind of package.
All input welcome from people who have experience in using them.

Cheers chaps

The Jester of Wibbly

Re: Portable card payment machines... Any good?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2019, 08:28:15 pm »
I use Sum up.  Really like it.  Cheap to buy, no monthly fees, just a low 1.69% on transactions.

Half price with this link if it helps

http://r.sumup.io/f7Ve3
Claim your 50% off your mobile payment card reader with Sum Up.  http://fbuy.me/f7Ve3

spudd

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2019, 09:06:23 pm »
Cheers jester, do you tether the terminal off your phone or do these devices have to be connect to WiFi?

nathankaye

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2019, 11:32:50 pm »
Mobile data n blue tooth.  Very easy and handy to have
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Oliver James

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2019, 05:23:52 am »
You can't do "Card Not Present" transactions with iZettle

Sum Up claim that you can do "Card Not Present" transactions, but I there were some hoops to jump through to do with Sum Up, and I ended up so sending back the reader.

I used to do Card Not Present transactions with a paypal card reader back in 2016 and I'll probably go back to Paypal.

Jay Le Huray

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2019, 07:27:33 am »
i use sum up, it works well but card holder must be present

dazmond

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2019, 07:46:58 am »
a great thing about having a SumUp card reader is can take payment there and then whether the customer has cash or not....also i can take card payments over the phone as i have a virtual terminal on the app on my phone....the transaction charge is higher though but it saves me collecting....

i use mine every week..... :)
price higher/work harder!

dazmond

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2019, 07:52:08 am »
You can't do "Card Not Present" transactions with iZettle

Sum Up claim that you can do "Card Not Present" transactions, but I there were some hoops to jump through to do with Sum Up, and I ended up so sending back the reader.

I used to do Card Not Present transactions with a paypal card reader back in 2016 and I'll probably go back to Paypal.

your wrong mate......i take card payments on my SumUp virtual terminal on my phone every week......

phone customer,take the long card number,expiry date and security code and money is in my bank within 3 days....

dazmond

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2019, 07:54:05 am »

no they dont mate.....you can phone them up and take payment over the phone....

Slacky

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2019, 08:09:24 am »
Why not just use a provider like Stripe where you have their app on your phone and no machine?

Additionally you can then use it to take payments over the phone.

dazmond

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2019, 08:17:56 am »
Why not just use a provider like Stripe where you have their app on your phone and no machine?

how much do they charge?sum up is 1.7% per transaction so 17p per £10 which is pretty good however they charge around 3% for payment over the phone plus 25p per transaction.....

if you use stripe can you do contactless payments with your phone?how do you take payment there and then without chip and pin if the job is over £30?input their card number in your phone?that would be a ball ache IMO...

spudd

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2019, 10:14:23 am »
Some good point there chaps... am I right in thinking you still need 3G to accept payments or is it just Bluetooth needed?

nathankaye

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2019, 10:34:06 am »
Go cardless is even better buddy!
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Slacky

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2019, 10:39:27 am »

how much do they charge?sum up is 1.7% per transaction so 17p per £10 which is pretty good however they charge around 3% for payment over the phone plus 25p per transaction.....

if you use stripe can you do contactless payments with your phone?how do you take payment there and then without chip and pin if the job is over £30?input their card number in your phone?that would be a ball ache IMO...

A ball-ache? Give it up Daz, what are you a poof?

spudd

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2019, 10:42:38 am »
Signed up to that last night nath, what program do you run yours off?

nathankaye

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2019, 10:58:08 am »
Signed up to that last night nath, what program do you run yours off?

I previously used squeegee app which can be linked to gocardless.
However, as a one man band, i preferred old school records still and so i process my payments through my account on gocardless manually
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

The Jester of Wibbly

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2019, 11:04:00 am »
Some good point there chaps... am I right in thinking you still need 3G to accept payments or is it just Bluetooth needed?

You need to connect it to your phone via Bluetooth.  Then phone connects via data to the merchant to auth payment.

There is another deceive you now can buy instead from them, a bit more expensive that included an unlimited sim card where you don't need to connect to your mobile
Claim your 50% off your mobile payment card reader with Sum Up.  http://fbuy.me/f7Ve3

nathankaye

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2019, 11:09:25 am »

You need to connect it to your phone via Bluetooth.  Then phone connects via data to the merchant to auth payment.

There is another decice you can buy instead, a bit more expensive that included an unlimited sim card where you don't need to connect to your mobile

My understanding, which lead me to upgrade my phone at the time, was that you needed at least 3g connection on mobile date to use effectively.
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Dry Clean

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2019, 11:18:17 am »
Sign them up to direct debit, my customers pay a monthly direct debit for 6 or 8 cleans a year,  this divides their payments up into 12 smaller monthly payments  instead of 6 or 8 larger amounts, it also means I can fall behind and catch up without  worrying that my customers will have paid for a clean that I haven't done yet.

spudd

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2019, 02:35:23 pm »
I use Sum up.  Really like it.  Cheap to buy, no monthly fees, just a low 1.69% on transactions.

Half price with this link if it helps

http://r.sumup.io/f7Ve3

Just ordered through your link jester... should get a little kick back 👌🏻..

Seems like a mixed bag of opinions so thought I’d give it a go for £15, appreciate all the feedback lads

dazmond

« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2019, 03:57:15 pm »

A ball-ache? Give it up Daz, what are you a poof?

what i mean is....say the jobs £70...i pull out the card reader then the custy punches in their 4 digit PIN and presses the green tick,job done.....with stripe on your phone DO YOU HAVE TO TAKE THE LONG CARD NUMBER ON THE FRONT,EXPIRY DATE AND THE SECURITY CODE in order to process their payment?

Slacky

« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2019, 06:30:42 pm »
Yes, but when they're a drive away and its cold out and you don't want to collect, you phone them up and do the biz over the phone. There's no ball-ache involved, in fact it saves ball-ache, the ball-ache of going out driving to collect.

But if you want to take a payment using the phone app whilst you're there punching in 16 numbers isn't a ball-ache either.

dazmond

« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2019, 06:40:08 pm »
Yes, but when they're a drive away and its cold out and you don't want to collect, you phone them up and do the biz over the phone. There's no ball-ache involved, in fact it saves ball-ache, the ball-ache of going out driving to collect.

But if you want to take a payment using the phone app whilst you're there punching in 16 numbers isn't a ball-ache either.

it is if your used to contactless payments or chip and pin...its quicker and less faff than getting their 16 digit card number at the door.if your collecting on a run (straight after the clean)of say 6 or 7 houses all paying by card then its far more faff than a card reader...........im out.... ;D

Slacky

« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2019, 10:08:03 pm »
it is if your used to contactless payments or chip and pin...its quicker and less faff than getting their 16 digit card number at the door.if your collecting on a run (straight after the clean)of say 6 or 7 houses all paying by card then its far more faff than a card reader...........im out.... ;D

That's cos you poof....

Jay Le Huray

« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2019, 08:08:00 am »

it did not know that Dazmond, how does that work then?

dazmond

« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2019, 09:10:04 am »

it did not know that Dazmond, how does that work then?

On the sumup phone app there is a virtual terminal in settings....just go to it while your on the phone to the customer and take their long card number,expiry date and 3 digit security number.....job done....👍

Oliver James

« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2019, 05:40:13 pm »
Anyone else who uses the Stripe phone app for "Card not Present" transactions??

I know that Stripe are very well thought of by some...

Slacky

« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2019, 07:37:14 pm »
Anyone else who uses the Stripe phone app for "Card not Present" transactions??

I know that Stripe are very well thought of by some...

Yup

Oliver James

« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2019, 09:58:31 am »
Thanks Slacky,

How did you find getting the app working? What was it like getting it all set up?

What is it like to use?

Slacky

« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2019, 05:10:34 pm »
Cant remember to be honest. But its a treat to collar your customers over the phone and take payment that way.