dazmond

do some of you still do SOME collecting?
« on: October 28, 2019, 06:25:24 pm »
im on a mission to eliminate collecting altogether by the end of the year and over the last few weeks ive managed to get another 70+ customers on to BACS payments,no problem.......but im having some resistance.....

some customers have no desire to pay me by bank transfer,dont have cheque books and dont want to set up a standing order.....these customers have been with me for many years and are the smaller,very compact,cheaper estate jobs,front only jobs and generally the older customers on my round....ive even had customers that are really against any form of electronic payment and ive had a few phone calls telling me so and getting quite angry about the whole thing! ::)roll which has shocked me tbh.....my new "windows cleaned today" slips have bank details on and a message about using first line of address so i can identify their payment and that its my preferred method of payment.i will accept cash,cheque,card payments on day of clean of course but they have to be in when i clean.....

i think im going to find it very difficult to eliminate collecting altogether.......

im on another big push this week on another block of estate work...if i could get another 40+ jobs this week onto BACS payments then ill be able to cut my collecting down to around an hour a month i reckon.......
price higher/work harder!

dazmond

Re: do some of you still do SOME collecting?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2019, 06:44:25 pm »
most jobs ive picked up over the last few years have gone straight to BACS payments no problems plus i always get their name and a contact number.......its the older jobs that ive had for 20+ years that im having to get a contact number for,in quite a few cases i dont even know their name either! ::)roll ;D

Bungle

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2019, 07:28:59 pm »
Do you do your rounds in an estate car with ladders and scrims hanging off them to dry?
We look at them, they look through them.

LBWCS

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2019, 07:48:36 pm »
NONE!
BACs, GoCardless or go find another window cleaner!

Johnny B

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2019, 07:50:29 pm »
I still deal in cash or cheque only. Most either pay me on the day, some will leave payment in a pre-arranged place, or I will do a very small amount of collecting, but very little compared to the couple of hours or more a week that I used to do.

I often leave until the next time if they're too far away or the monetary value makes it uneconomical to go back until the following time, or unless I am local enough to call on them. As long as my cashflow is sound I don't stress about it.

John
Being diplomatic is being able to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

P @ F

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2019, 07:55:38 pm »
I don’t go out to collect shall we say , I just let it roll over until I get them in , if I ever pass off chance , work hours or not I drop in and get it otherwise the ball is in their court , I feel it hurts them more than me to cough up for 2 or 3 cleans , they will learn or lose a nice chunk now and then !
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

mjm

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2019, 08:00:21 pm »
 ::)roll   iam the same dasmond  collecting twice a week  any new work in the last 3 years  all on line payments  go cardless  bank transfer  iam now putting it  to bed and and  asking everyone to do online payments   if they dont pay within 2 days of clean  i will text  but i want everyone  on go cardless   more control  no waiting for transfer   some of my customers dont have internet and no mobile so they are collect  but not botherd  i will still collect  i wont sack em  had them 13 years              :'(  190  or somthig left to convert  but i will get there   it slow  and i mean slow   :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Plankton

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2019, 08:05:24 pm »
No collecting and a two clean limit. Recently being requesting email addresses so we can get as many on invoicing before I take on more work. Currently at 65% through the bank including GC so if we get that to 80% with the rest on day it saves a lot of time putting slips through the door.

Richard iSparkle

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2019, 08:23:00 pm »
We do no collecting.

Everyone pays us by DD exceot for 5 customers who are from the start who pay by cheque. I’ll switch or cull these last ones by the end of November tho.

It took about 6 months to get all the rest to change over to DD. ( I did it about 6 years ago). I sent letters out with DD signuo forms, chased these up with calls over the next 3 months, and then also was sending the cleaners out with lists of customers to knock on on the day of their clean with a DD form for the customer to complete.

In the end I had about 30% left who hadn’t switched.

I then closed my bank account (so nobody was able to pay by SO or BACs any longer), and called and door knocked this last set until they signed up.

It took persistent gentle effort and we had to ignore a lot of people telling us they wouldn’t do it. We just kept asking.

That’s my experience.

The oldest (longest) customers were typically the least willing to change.

We won’t let anyone sign up before they have setup a DD now. We won’t book them in before we have it.

Any one off jobs are paid in advance to book them in (unless They’re a DD customer when we add the amount to their next payment).

Hope that helps 👍🏻. It was well worth it
iSparkle Window Cleaning

www.isparklewindowcleaning.uk

PHILIP HARDY

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2019, 08:27:19 pm »
im on a mission to eliminate collecting altogether by the end of the year and over the last few weeks ive managed to get another 70+ customers on to BACS payments,no problem.......but im having some resistance.....

some customers have no desire to pay me by bank transfer,dont have cheque books and dont want to set up a standing order.....these customers have been with me for many years and are the smaller,very compact,cheaper estate jobs,front only jobs and generally the older customers on my round....ive even had customers that are really against any form of electronic payment and ive had a few phone calls telling me so and getting quite angry about the whole thing! ::)roll which has shocked me tbh.....my new "windows cleaned today" slips have bank details on and a message about using first line of address so i can identify their payment and that its my preferred method of payment.i will accept cash,cheque,card payments on day of clean of course but they have to be in when i clean.....

i think im going to find it very difficult to eliminate collecting altogether.......

im on another big push this week on another block of estate work...if i could get another 40+ jobs this week onto BACS payments then ill be able to cut my collecting down to around an hour a month i reckon.......
Give them credit, if they are not in or dont have the cash just let them pay double next time if you miss them again its three times, sounds like you only have a problem with the old schoolers who you have had for years so little to none chance of getting knocked,surely you can wait a few weeks for the money, if they really are the types who dont like owing they will be on the phone asking when you are due so they can stay in to pay you if it mounts up ..
I have been in the game over ten years and have NEVER gone out to collect , I have been knocked for some cleans but I have also had customers drive 15 miles to bring me there payment. you soon learn who you can trust.
The Stupid Neither Forgive Nor Forget
The Naive Forgive And Forget
The Wise Forgive But Don't Forget

nathankaye

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2019, 08:44:21 pm »
Im not able to go collecting due to family situation and aint done so for some time now.
I have ones which pay cash when im there and if they are not in, they will pay double next time which is fine.  These are custies who have been with me for many years.
Then i have a small handful who have set up a standing order which is ideal as obviously no fees.
The rest are on GoCardless and for last two years, that is the only option I offer
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

windowswashed

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2019, 08:48:18 pm »
Haven't collected for about ten years, best thing I ever done was stopping collecting, real waste of  time and petrol. Would never start collecting again.

Jonny 87

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2019, 07:12:49 am »
Zero collecting for 8 years.

2 years into my window cleaning business I realised how crazy it is, to drive round all
Your work, ......then drive round again to collect the money.

If any don’t want to do online payments Daz just get them To leave it in a safe place to collect.

That’s what I do for quite a few customers that don’t do online. They leave it under select plant pots or ornaments.

I just send them a text the evening before I’m
Due round, or if they are older and don’t do texting, they just always leave the money in the same place.  Every month.

Sorted.
Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

lal

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2019, 08:40:00 am »

Ive never collected since i started, nearly 8 years ago,  if the customer can't be there at time of cleaning,
 they leave payment hidden for me at back garden somewhere, or pay online, if customer is in and doesn't
 have cash, i take card payments with SumUp.

Crystal-clear

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2019, 09:52:23 am »
Hi daz just keep doing what you doing don't get emotional it's just business. You know what it's like they like it how it's been for many years and although it makes your life easier it upsets them they like it that way.
If you keep doing what you're doing eventually you have a very small bunch of people that just don't want to do it. It may be about 10% roughly.
You will have the choice later what to do with them
If you're going to be working alone you won't have some big overheads so no reason to just carry on.

The ones that are very persistent about having you collect just be clear with them and say say I will collect it only when it's three times the clean.
So please keep an eye on the amount adding up on the slip. Some of them won't even be happy with that but I would say that's very rare probably 1% of that 10% the ones that want you to go and collect each clean are the ones you probably should move on from( and you may not even get any of those )

Most of those hardcores will be fine if you say you'll collect 3x.

This way you may end up collecting one hour a year because over the course of three cleans it's likely you catch them in once.
There you go 1 hour a year that would be a great improvement

Crystal-clear

« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2019, 09:58:51 am »
We do no collecting.

Everyone pays us by DD exceot for 5 customers who are from the start who pay by cheque. I’ll switch or cull these last ones by the end of November tho.

It took about 6 months to get all the rest to change over to DD. ( I did it about 6 years ago). I sent letters out with DD signuo forms, chased these up with calls over the next 3 months, and then also was sending the cleaners out with lists of customers to knock on on the day of their clean with a DD form for the customer to complete.

I then closed my bank account (so nobody was able to pay by SO or BACs any longer), and called and door knocked this last set until they signed up.

It took persistent gentle effort and we had to ignore a lot of people telling us they wouldn’t do it. We just kept asking.

That’s my experience.

We won’t let anyone sign up before they have setup a DD now. We won’t book them in before we have it.

Any one off jobs are paid in advance to book them in (unless They’re a DD customer when we add the amount to their next payment).

I have to say I absolutely love this
Can you tell me what you did when people said they don't want to do it and you kept on asking :)
I'm you you'll continued to clean the windows
And kept on saying please can you do direct debit or did you at one point go firm say it needs to be direct debit

I also love the way they have to pay in advance if there a one-off clean on invoice :)

Richard iSparkle

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2019, 12:54:08 pm »
We do no collecting.

That’s my experience.

I have to say I absolutely love this
Can you tell me what you did when people said they don't want to do it and you kept on asking :)
I'm you you'll continued to clean the windows
And kept on saying please can you do direct debit or did you at one point go firm say it needs to be direct debit

I also love the way they have to pay in advance if there a one-off clean on invoice :)

hey crystal!

i got mentored by Julie from Concept 2O in Cardiff and she was brilliant about stuff like this. it was her road map we followed for getting people to switch.

initially i think the letters we sent said, we're putting up prices by £2.50 but you can stay at the same price if you switch to DD.

we chased up anyone who hadn't sent back their forms and called them asking them to set them up there and then over the phone. its that old sales method of just assuming they are going to do it, so you just lead them on the call.

any objections you deal with then and there but usually they just try to put it off. usually its just a case of saying 'we are switching it over because it means we can keep our prices competitive and offer a better service (less mistakes with money)

then you just reappeat the same script everytuime, if they dont setup on the phone we would just send a form out in the post or by email.

like i say, most people won't say 'No' they just say they haven't got around to it yet.

we would say things like it really makes a big difference to us and it would really help us out if they could set it up now, so basically appeal to people for help. like Im sure most of us on here, our customers tend to really quite like us, and recognise we are a local firm doing our best so they want to help...

some people say they want to cancel their Standing order first, or pay by cheque and dont want to give us their bank details for security, so we would let them know that on every cheque they give us they are giving us their bank account number and sort code already...

we just used friendly, persistent pressure basically, asking them to help us, explaining how it would work, and making it really easy fir them to sort out right away by doing it on the phone with them, or eventually on the doorstep.

the final step of closing the bank account was the genius of Julie's IMHO. then the customers have a problem that they aren't paying you any longer so its easier for them to fill in the bloomin form that find another widow cleaner!

in fairness, i think this is easier when you have staff, so i had an office assistant who did most the calling, and got my window cleaners to door knock. i paid them an extra £1 for each form they brought back filled in so over a week they could add £30 or something to their takings easily.

if i was doing it now and didn't have staff i would just get a short term staff member to call them up or a VA to handle the thing.

it pays off massively over time, both in terms of it saves loads of time, means less admin, easier bookkeeping, and really easy to put up prices.

we never said to people we wouldn't clean their windows any longer no, unless they had gone over 3 cleans without paying. so some we forced into this position by stopping their previous method of payment (SO or BACs or Cheque)

i will force the final ones to switch or leave us now though. i have to accept some or most will cancel now, though one 90 year old switched over just last month after holding out for years!! she said she paid everything else by DD nowadays anyway

iSparkle Window Cleaning

www.isparklewindowcleaning.uk

Crystal-clear

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2019, 05:31:51 pm »
i will force the final ones to switch or leave us now though. i have to accept some or most will cancel now, though one 90 year old switched over just last month after holding out for years!! she said she paid everything else by DD nowadays anyway
[/quote]

Heh brilliant. Basically lots of work !
politely begging your way to 90 percent GC :)
End of last year I went on a gocardless Rampage
Similar to you just didn't use forms I found
Just the link and a friendly chat.
knocking on their doors having a chat worked better than a text message.at about 40 percent GC now . Getting the rest over is going to involve a lot more work just like you said closing the bank account is a good one!.

The only problem is when you go out and clean them and they get in touch to pay I guess that's when you have someone hands on in the office to have a friendly chat with them basically chat them up lol. However some of them will stand firm regardless or for example I'll do it later can I just pay you please what I owe.. that's pretty much a polite way of saying I don't want to go on direct debit. !

I'm happy where the direct debits are at the moment theres work involved to switch over
But it will need to be tackled again at some point to up the ratio higher the better

DeLuce

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2019, 06:18:44 pm »
When I wanted to start window cleaning about 12yrs ago now, I went out with a mate of mine to get to know the ropes. He’d been a shiner for quite a few years. On the ladders back then.
First thing he taught was ,what a waste of time it is collecting. I’m grateful for that  time saving lesson.
No collecting since I set up. Thanks to that.
Most of my customers pay by BACS , if they don’t trust the internet banking, then they send me a cheque. (No stamp left on envelope, never had problems with that). Others just leave money ‘under’ something when they know I’ll be around.
Collecting is an inconvenience that can be avoided.

Missing Link

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2019, 11:39:36 pm »
I haven't collected in years; most payments by bank transfer and we get very few cheques these days.

I may do a Go Cardless campaign next year; I've enjoyed reading some of the posts about how to transfer your customers over.
Pronouns She/Her/Madam/Ma'am

dazmond

« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2019, 08:36:25 am »
im finding some customers frustrating at the moment.......catching them in and getting a contact number off them for BACS payments....quite a few are paying me online but not letting me know.....i can identify their payment but i dont have a contact number for them......others that are in when i clean(that dont do online) im getting them to pay me there and then via cash,card or cheque.....

this is only a problem on the older very compact estate work that ive been cleaning for years like ive already said.....virtually all new work picked up over the last 5 or 6 years have gone straight to BACS payments.......

i just need to keep plugging away and getting as many contact numbers as possible,even asking neighbours if they have their numbers! ;D

ill also need to keep collecting every monday for the next few weeks and gather as many numbers as i can....i find if i give them a card they virtually NEVER SEND ME THEIR NUMBER! ::)roll.....i have to get them to write their number on the back of my business cards to get a number off them...

this is never a problem with new customers as i always get their name and number from the off.....

Jonny 87

« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2019, 09:07:42 am »
I take it people aren’t putting a reference down?

Most of my customers put their address as reference.  Just keep plugging away and you’ll get there.
Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

JandS

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2019, 09:46:37 am »
I do about 40 minutes a week but no travelling involved....collect all the work that is literally on my doorstep which amounts to about 30% off my work....the rest are all bank transfer.
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

Missing Link

« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2019, 03:45:10 pm »
im finding some customers frustrating at the moment.......catching them in and getting a contact number off them for BACS payments....quite a few are paying me online but not letting me know.....i can identify their payment but i dont have a contact number for them......others that are in when i clean(that dont do online) im getting them to pay me there and then via cash,card or cheque.....

this is only a problem on the older very compact estate work that ive been cleaning for years like ive already said.....virtually all new work picked up over the last 5 or 6 years have gone straight to BACS payments.......

i just need to keep plugging away and getting as many contact numbers as possible,even asking neighbours if they have their numbers! ;D

ill also need to keep collecting every monday for the next few weeks and gather as many numbers as i can....i find if i give them a card they virtually NEVER SEND ME THEIR NUMBER! ::)roll.....i have to get them to write their number on the back of my business cards to get a number off them...

this is never a problem with new customers as i always get their name and number from the off.....

I just put my bank details on my slip with payment instructions (like put the first line of your address as a reference) and didn't worry too much if they didn't pay me that clean.

I'd I'd just let it build up.

Eventually, after it built up enough - they'd usually pay on-line - hopefully motivated by guilt and fear of bumping into me in Tescos.

I've got a few elderly types that don't use a computer; that's fine, I just roll the payments over if they're not in.

And for all new customers I ask "Will you pay by bank transfer?"
Pronouns She/Her/Madam/Ma'am

dazmond

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2019, 04:56:06 pm »
I take it people aren’t putting a reference down?

Most of my customers put their address as reference.  Just keep plugging away and you’ll get there.

of course their putting a reference down(its stipulated on my windows cleaned today tickets)so i know whos paid but i want a contact number as some of them WILL forget on future cleans so i can send them a text reminder after a few cleans if theyve not paid....

dazmond

« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2019, 04:30:28 pm »
ive decided to stop collecting in the evening altogether from today,NOT after xmas....i really cant be bothered anymore esp with the dark nights.....so ill just let my debt list mount up and hope most pay online and catch some of them in next month who owe 2 or 3 cleans,i might have to do a bit of collecting in the daytime but itll only be for 10 mins or so when ive finished a block of estate work....my debt list is currently at a very manageable £685......... :)

i just need more contact numbers but i think this will take at least a few months to get them all...(i need at least another 80-90 more!) ::)roll ;D

zesty

« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2019, 04:44:28 pm »
Haven’t done collecting in about 6 years Daz.

Why bother? Everyone pays online, eventually....

Just take a contact number and remind them if it adds up to two or three cleans.

dazmond

« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2019, 04:56:32 pm »

Just take a contact number and remind them if it adds up to two or three cleans.

this is the problem at the moment......customer not in when i clean,no contact number for them,slip through the door with bank details on,they either pay online and dont notify me so ive still not got a contact number, just think ill collect on a monday evening so dont bother paying me at all,some phone up saying they dont do online banking! ;D

dont forget ive been collecting for 26 years! ::)roll ;D.....itll take time for some of them to adjust! ;)

zesty

« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2019, 04:58:19 pm »

this is the problem at the moment......customer not in when i clean,no contact number for them,slip through the door with bank details on,they either pay online and dont notify me so ive still not got a contact number, just think ill collect on a monday evening so dont bother paying me at all,some phone up saying they dont do online banking! ;D

dont forget ive been collecting for 26 years! ::)roll ;D.....itll take time for some of them to adjust! ;)

Do one last collect and tell these people that from now on you need a phone number and BACS payment only.

If they say no, then tell them to leave the cash out in a safe place, that seems to work for me 👍🏼

james peters

« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2019, 07:43:43 pm »
like yourself daz ... I am 27 years in this business .
I still collect about 1 hour a month ... only on local work on my doorstep . I just do it when im passing , doesn't bother me tbh .
if I were to move I woukld change it though .
I do quite like cash  ;D

dazmond

« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2019, 01:28:07 pm »
it actually feels liberating to be free of collecting after all these years,im finding now most customers who ve been with me years are happy for me NOT to disturb them of an evening,its just the odd one or 2 stuck in their ways.......i could always phone them up and take a card payment over the phone if need be for some of them if i miss them a few times(providing ive got a contact number of course!)..... ;D

happy days indeed..... 8)

ok cleaning

« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2019, 07:33:51 pm »
yes still do and always will do

ok cleaning

« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2019, 07:35:19 pm »
yes i still do and always will do

Shrek

« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2019, 07:48:04 pm »
yes still do and always will do

Can you repeat that please?  :D

dazmond

« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2019, 09:40:41 pm »

mjm

« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2019, 10:20:14 pm »
Well I have transferred   all but 15 customers onto transfer or go careless    the 15 dont have internet or online banking so I will let them run for 3 cleans then go collect iam not taking them off the rounds

dazmond

« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2019, 09:33:26 am »

ill collect off customers there and then on a run of work in the day or even call back if im passing(again in the daytime)but its the evening collecting that im stopping(going out after 6pm)this is a pain and also i dont like knocking on some customers doors on these dark evenings....

Stoots

« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2019, 10:40:31 am »
I don't collect at all and never have apart from first couple of months when starting out and quickly though feck that for a game.

Mine are all online , infact it's probably why I've had so many non payer. If they don't pay online then I dump them.

It's going to be hard if not impossible to get them all on side so what are you going to do ?

It's a bit like mine, I want them all on go cardless but a lot refuse to budge from Bacs or PayPal so either dump them all or just accept it

If I were you I would just start a campaign to bring in more work and slowly get rid of cash payers. Will take a while.

dazmond

« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2019, 04:40:47 pm »
I don't collect at all and never have apart from first couple of months when starting out and quickly though feck that for a game.

Mine are all online , infact it's probably why I've had so many non payer. If they don't pay online then I dump them.

It's going to be hard if not impossible to get them all on side so what are you going to do ?

It's a bit like mine, I want them all on go cardless but a lot refuse to budge from Bacs or PayPal so either dump them all or just accept it

If I were you I would just start a campaign to bring in more work and slowly get rid of cash payers. Will take a while.

why would i go on a campaign for more work?ive been established 26 years....theres no way im dumping good, solid customers that ive had for years  just because they dont use/trust online banking,lots are moving over to BACS anyway.....the ones that dont ill just catch them in next time or phone them up if they owe a few cleans as i take card payments over the phone too....

the ones that are virtually always in when i clean and pay cash thats fine too,i dont want to phase out cash payments altogether.......its just the evening collecting im stopping......

any new work go straight to BACS payments usually (unless its an elderly customer whos always in on compact estate work)and most new customers are fine with this......👍

dazmond

« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2019, 08:43:01 am »
Its going well......lots more customers are just paying straight into my bank account.some have shocked me as they said they don't do online banking then send me a BACS payment a week later....  ;D

It must be my carefully worded windows cleaned today slips..... ;D

Klean07

« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2019, 03:05:12 pm »
I haven't collected since my trad days over 12 years ago! Waste of time imo. Folks not being in and when in some raid kids money box or milk money to pay you! You can hear them rattling the box to get the money out! This in itself makes you feel like your a scout or cub that has just done bob a job!
kkleanwindowcleaning.co.uk

dazmond

« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2019, 04:04:25 pm »
I haven't collected since my trad days over 12 years ago! Waste of time imo. Folks not being in and when in some raid kids money box or milk money to pay you! You can hear them rattling the box to get the money out! This in itself makes you feel like your a scout or cub that has just done bob a job!

haha....your showing your age now mate!bob a job!love it!......... ;D ;D

deeege

« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2019, 04:46:37 pm »
I collect one round of 30 compact houses. Only collect once after the clean. Gives me chance to upsell some fascia/soffit cleans face to face.

Takes 1.5 hours a month, I can handle that.
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."