Plankton

Down side of a Soletrader
« on: December 04, 2017, 04:59:40 pm »
When you pick up an injury! I've had a few operations on my wrist years ago and I can feel a twinge or even get a shock up my arm depending on how I move it, but not very often. However at the end of a tuff week I could feel it was tender and today it just went Pete Tong! Ligaments or something must be mashed up and it's shooting pains up my arm.
I've got a softwash job to finish in the morning from two weeks ago and then last weeks work to do, but the worst of it is I need to strip the van of the pw equipment and lift the wfp tank back in. Murder!

dazmond

Re: Down side of a Soletrader
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 05:35:36 pm »
ive been suffering with a bad back the last month or so.its not been affecting my work as such but im having to give the gym a miss again! ::)roll

its felt much better the last few days so went to gym yesterday no problem then woke up this morning in agony.its doing my head in now. >:(

im off  work for the next 2 days now so hopefully ill be fine but i think i should skip the gym for at least a week. :'(
price higher/work harder!

Granny

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 05:42:40 pm »
ive been suffering with a bad back the last month or so.its not been affecting my work as such but im having to give the gym a miss again! ::)roll
Try laying off the 5 Star missus for a bit and the back may get a bit better!
Maybe it's not the gym but the Miss that's giving you grief!  ::)roll

dazmond

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 06:00:59 pm »
Try laying off the 5 Star missus for a bit and the back may get a bit better!
Maybe it's not the gym but the Miss that's giving you grief!  ::)roll

;D ;D ;D

im booked into a hotel in cambridgeshire for tomorrow night for me and the missus as im getting my heater fitted in the van on wednesday. ;)

Jonny 87

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, 06:23:35 pm »
Could be going from extreme poles to SLX poles mate!

Especially when you’ve been used to extremes for years.

Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

zesty

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2017, 06:33:25 pm »

Gotta agree, i couldn’t go back to slx poles, the health benefits of Xtreme poles just make sense...

Xtreme poles plus Xtreme brushes plus electric hose reel, bliss  :D

tom20001

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2017, 06:48:43 pm »
Do xtrem poles not need a lot of maintenance lads? Slx here

paul alan

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2017, 07:19:13 pm »

its felt much better the last few days so went to gym yesterday no problem then woke up this morning in agony.its doing my head in now. >:(

im off  work for the next 2 days now so hopefully ill be fine but i think i should skip the gym for at least a week. :'(

I have not been for a month and feel loads better, longest break I've had in around 10 years though.

Stoots

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2017, 07:22:31 pm »
Not an injury but ive had a horrible chest infection and fever for over a week, felt awfull, managed to slog on most days , but it wasnt nice. 

Mind you id be ever more ped off if i had employees and they had the cheek to be injured or ill  :-[

Stoots

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2017, 07:25:21 pm »

Might need to change up what you are doing mate.

I had to give up heavy deadlifts and squatts about 5 years ago as my lower back just couldnt cope anymore. It goes now just sitting on the sofa, so when im at the gym its mainly the gay machines and upper body stuff i would do.

Mind you not been for 5 years, its on my new years resolution list

Missing Link

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2017, 08:43:09 pm »
I had to give up heavy deadlifts and squatts about 5 years ago as my lower back just couldnt cope anymore.

I think deadlifts helps prevent back injuries.  I swear by them.  I don't go 'snap your shit up' heavy, but I go heavy enough to ensure that six-reps is my max/failure.

Squats I'm more careful with, because running is my 'main thing' and squats just kill my thighs and negatively impact running.  So I go heavy, but low volume; just one set (after two warm up sets), but I am doing this three times a week.  I'm not after being a body builder/power lifter, just strong for running.
Pronouns She/Her/Madam/Ma'am

Stoots

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2017, 08:59:28 pm »
I had to give up heavy deadlifts and squatts about 5 years ago as my lower back just couldnt cope anymore.

I think deadlifts helps prevent back injuries.  I swear by them.  I don't go 'snap your shit up' heavy, but I go heavy enough to ensure that six-reps is my max/failure.

Squats I'm more careful with, because running is my 'main thing' and squats just kill my thighs and negatively impact running.  So I go heavy, but low volume; just one set (after two warm up sets), but I am doing this three times a week.  I'm not after being a body builder/power lifter, just strong for running.

Possibly so if you back is not injured already...deadlifts were not the reason it was injured in the first place but i certainly cant do them anymore.

That said im a cyclist now so like you i go very easy on lower body as i just cant recover in time for the bike, not been for yonks but when i get back in the gym it will be upper body only, possibly very light lower body work thrown in.

Missing Link

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2017, 09:31:17 pm »
when i get back in the gym it will be upper body only, possibly very light lower body work thrown in.

I've tried all kinds of ways, but I find what Mark Sissons (6 x world ironman champ) calls 'slow reps' to work.  Though I don't do them like he says, but do a variation on the principle.

Just one set - heavy - but three times a week.

Seems to be working; it doesn't kill my legs for running.

The principle I follow is that running is for endurance and weight training for strength.
Pronouns She/Her/Madam/Ma'am

dazmond

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2017, 09:38:01 pm »

no its not that mate.i find the slxs fine to work with but weight training at the  gym 3 times a week and playing drums and lugging all the equipment about as well as window cleaning is sometimes a bit too much i think.

dazmond

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2017, 09:42:10 pm »

Might need to change up what you are doing mate.

I had to give up heavy deadlifts and squatts about 5 years ago as my lower back just couldnt cope anymore. It goes now just sitting on the sofa, so when im at the gym its mainly the gay machines and upper body stuff i would do.

Mind you not been for 5 years, its on my new years resolution list

i dont do heavy squats or heavy deadlifts mate.i never have.i do dumbbell deadlifts/squats when my backs fine once a week but not done any for the past month due to my dodgy lower back.im very careful with my form on all exercises.im not 21 anymore unfortunately.

Shrek

« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2017, 09:48:22 pm »
I had tennis elbow for 6 months this year so stopped the gym altogether during that period. I’m back in now doing the 5x5 workout, really enjoying just lifting the bar for 5 reps  ;D

zesty

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2017, 12:51:46 pm »
Do xtrem poles not need a lot of maintenance lads? Slx here

Not really, no more than an slx, just the occasional rinse down and dry ptfe spray does the Job. I only do that when it’s really gritty though.

Plankton

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2017, 03:37:01 pm »
Finished the softwash job but still have the van to strip and load, and I don't want to think about it! I might read up on dead lifts instead and become an armchair weightlifting  expert :)