david68

Help Smears on windows
« on: June 08, 2006, 03:50:41 pm »
I have been only cleaning windows for a week.
But i am blading the windows the wiping them with scrim.
But im getting smears over the glass.
Chemicals i use are Glimmer Clean and a touch of car screen wash.
Is this because of the chemicals im using or just more practise.
Please any tips would be great
David

www.ccwin.co.uk

My learning hobby
www.dbritweb.com

007 or what

Re: Help Smears on windows
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2006, 04:02:27 pm »
use fairy liquid, and water. are you new to w/c?

Mike_G

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2006, 04:08:45 pm »
How much of the window are you wiping with your scrim? It should only be the sides.

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2006, 04:47:16 pm »
Hi david

When you say you are wiping the windows with a scrim do you mean the whole window? If you are doing this especially in the hot weather you will get smears.

I suspect it's probably your squeegee technique leaving trails which you are then wiping up. Correct me if I am wrong  :)   

If this is the case start a thread on how to use a squeegee. I am at the office now so havent got time to type much more. or.. any more for now :)

Cheers

Andrew

david68

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2006, 04:51:53 pm »
Hi Andrew
Yes you are right, I am leaving trials after blading.
Should i not clean middle of windows with scrim?

Regards dave
David

www.ccwin.co.uk

My learning hobby
www.dbritweb.com

david68

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2006, 04:55:08 pm »

David

www.ccwin.co.uk

My learning hobby
www.dbritweb.com

david68

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2006, 04:56:38 pm »

Yes i am new to window cleaning and never had any practise.
Im always jumping into the deep end.... :'(
David

www.ccwin.co.uk

My learning hobby
www.dbritweb.com

jinky230

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2006, 05:39:58 pm »
david do the L shape with the sweegee instead of the figure 8 to start with. after a week gradually do the turn back

so it is across and down, across and down across and down -keep a half inch in from the top and the sides when using the appiicator for puting water on this will reduce the amount of water on the window being left after you sweegee.
 you can use the scrim to tidy up the edges, rap a piece of scrim around the one finger and wipe in a down fast action. to tidy sides and tops

in this heat keep the applicator really wet and as the lads said use washing upliquid in the water forget  the high tech stuff until you are up and running hope this helps

use a brand new sweegee with new rubbers

jinky

Paul Coleman

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2006, 05:44:26 pm »
I have been only cleaning windows for a week.
But i am blading the windows the wiping them with scrim.
But im getting smears over the glass.
Chemicals i use are Glimmer Clean and a touch of car screen wash.
Is this because of the chemicals im using or just more practise.
Please any tips would be great

David.
Where are you from.  It sounds like you need a few lessons.  Not joking.  There is more to this than meets the eye until you try it.  Say where you are from and someone on here will probably show you the ropes for a day or two.

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2006, 05:59:20 pm »
DID A RUNNER FROM THE OFFICE  ;D

I am sure that if you ask like Shiner says someone will step up to offer you some practical help. People think that window cleaning is easy.. I did.. I used to watch our window cleaners and see how fast they were so I thought I would be the same overnight.... WRONG!!!!

All good advice so far. The only thing that I would add is to use pro equipment if you dont already and to use soft rubbers in your squeegee.

Don't be afraid to ask any questions however trivial you may think they are.

Also.. feel free to call me on the office number on our website. www.freedomwfp.co.uk

I well remember taking an hour to do a semi when I started and struggling with the tecnigues.  NO.. I wont try to sell you any WFP equipment. Just an offer to try and help as I am in an office during the day so would be able to talk when most of the other guys are out making REAL MONEY   :'(

Cheers

Andrew

H h20

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2006, 06:03:19 pm »
If you are getting problems with scrim leaving marks then i would higly reccomend microfibre cloths,you will never go back,Gaz  ;)

david68

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2006, 06:39:04 pm »
Thank so far for all the help
I am based in Birmingham and would love to get some help by going around with someone.
Also i never believe anything is easy, I have micro clothes and scrim.
Someone told me not to wipe the windows with scrim as this is what causes the smears.
But you have to use scrim to dry leaded windows.
I check for smears while doing them, But they seem to appear when im gone.
Once i can master the traditional way, I will be buying a freedom trolley as i do like the look of it.
But i have laid out to much money so far.
I have done 10 house and 5 of them have phoned about the smear problem.
I dont want to give up as i do like doing this type of work.
I have recently had cancer and at the moment i am in remission, But its will be coming back.
So window cleaning helps me over come my future and i also love meeting people.
But i hate doing rubbish work

Regards Dave (thanks all)
David

www.ccwin.co.uk

My learning hobby
www.dbritweb.com

Trevor Knight

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2006, 06:40:34 pm »
David,

1) Whats your location?? - would be good to get a day out with an experience window cleaner.

2) Scrim the middle of a window!! NO !! like others have said you WILL get smears.

There are several beginner ways to clean windows, some have already been mentioned, but to be honest the best way forward is to get some hands on help and advice.

Take a day out with someone and you will never look back. Act sooner rather than later otherwise if your leaving smears everywhere you may lose customers. :-\

Post back soon.

Best wishes,

Trev
Covering Hampshire, Dorset, Surrey, Berkshire

david68

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2006, 07:22:19 pm »
If anyone is willing to give me a day experience.
I am located in Birmingham and the area is Stechford B34.
I have just tried the l shape technic and this as help.
Also my water mix was a little bit of washing up liquid and white vingar.
So if i do leave a water line in the middle is it best to just blade it of and keep away from using the scrim?
What about leaded windows?

Regards Dave
David

www.ccwin.co.uk

My learning hobby
www.dbritweb.com

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2006, 07:26:31 pm »
David

To give yourself the best possible chance change your rubber everyday until you are confident to know when the rubber is wearing out.

And secondly check that your squeegie channel is not bent, test it against a steel rule or a spirit level or something you know is 100% flat.

In my experience these are the 2 most common reasons for leaving smears.

Also when you wet the window make sure you have actually scrubbed the dirt loose instead of just wetting the window, In direct sunlight make sure you use plenty of water as the window can start to dry out even though it still looks like there are bubbles on there.

If you leave suds in the middle of the window it is adviseable to re- wet the window up to the bit left and re squeegie rather than using the scrim.

Do not use a wet scrim on the window.

Dave

« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2006, 07:54:38 pm »
Ahhh leaded.  This is where the microfibres really come into their own.

You,ve prpobably picked the worst week so far this year to start because of the hot sunlight. You will  have to work quickly to get decent results on leaded in direct hot sunlight.

Our trad method is to use a small spay bottle with the solution in it. Lightly mist the window then quickly buff off to a shine with the  "soft" side of our micro's.

You may even have to do a portion of a pane at a time because of the solution drying out in the sunlight. If an area does dry out you will have to wet it again before you can buff it off. Its impossible to buff it off properly once it has dried.

In shade or cooler weather with no direct sunlight you can use a damp scrim/cloth and then buff off with your micro. Get planty of micros. They are useless once wet and also do get dirty quickly. 

All of the above takes practice. One good way of checking for smears is to look at the window from the side... they do show up that way even if you cant see them from the front.

You will be judged on the quality of your work from day one. Never leave a job until you are satisfied completely with your work. Far better to do a few and get them right than a lot and leave a bad job.  It will seem like very hard work at the moment just to get a decent result. You will soon be much fater and get better results.  Stick at it mate.  I dont mean to patronise you but I have to say that I admire you for sheer guts and determination bearing in mind your medical situation.

My offer stands...  call me at the office any time during the day and I will try to help you in any way I can.

Andrew

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2006, 08:35:42 pm »
The ideal consistancy for a scrim cloth for leaded is to wet it in clean water (no soap)
Then wring it out until your knuckles turn white, If you have not got a great grip loop it around your ladder style and keep twisting at least until no more water comes out of it, I find this method the best for leaded.

Scrub with your now damp scrim ,go over every bit of glass at least twice remember to keep turning the cloth if it gets dirty then  quickly as fast as you can buff up with a dry scrim.

Just experiment until you find what suits you, I could never get on with micro fibre myself, but a lot here seem to have no trouble with it, Maybe because microfibre was not around when i started out and had to learn to use scrim correctly, but once you have mastered it, it will be your best friend.

Micro fibre or scrim the choice is yours

Dave

jinky230

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2006, 09:00:58 pm »
come on guys there must be someone near him to give him some experience

working with an experience  team

jinky

geoffreyspecht

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2006, 10:46:19 pm »
all i use is a damp scrim to clean windoes on houses can do a three bedroom house in 10 miniutes

Paul Coleman

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2006, 01:03:39 am »
Thank so far for all the help
I am based in Birmingham and would love to get some help by going around with someone.
Also i never believe anything is easy, I have micro clothes and scrim.
Someone told me not to wipe the windows with scrim as this is what causes the smears.
But you have to use scrim to dry leaded windows.
I check for smears while doing them, But they seem to appear when im gone.
Once i can master the traditional way, I will be buying a freedom trolley as i do like the look of it.
But i have laid out to much money so far.
I have done 10 house and 5 of them have phoned about the smear problem.
I dont want to give up as i do like doing this type of work.
I have recently had cancer and at the moment i am in remission, But its will be coming back.
So window cleaning helps me over come my future and i also love meeting people.
But i hate doing rubbish work

Regards Dave (thanks all)

Best of luck with the illness David.  There is life after major illness as I have discovered too.
I am in Sussex so too far out to help you personally I imagine.  However, with leaded windows, wring the first cloth out thoroughly so that it is barely damp then follow up quickly with a bone dry one (avoid leads on very hot days if poss).  Also, with plain glass, keep your detergent levels to a minimum. This may help with the smearing.

Trevor Knight

« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2006, 06:56:50 am »
Dave,

I know you are based in Birmingham but if you want to come down south I am more than happy to show you the ropes.

I can teach you all you need to get started in a day and you can go out on one of the vans with the lads and get to grips with your technique.

I am based in Andover which is about 1hour and 30 minutes away.

Offers there ?

Regards,

Trev
Covering Hampshire, Dorset, Surrey, Berkshire

david68

« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2006, 09:23:43 am »
Thanks to all
What a great helpful site, I will take onboard all your info and i will become a great window cleaner and also beat this beast of cancer.
Trevor thanks for the offer, but its abit far.
I did ask my local cleaner for some help, but i think he not keen.

Again thanks all :)
David

www.ccwin.co.uk

My learning hobby
www.dbritweb.com

jeff1

Re: Help Smears on windows New
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2006, 01:12:25 pm »
If anyone is willing to give me a day experience.
I am located in Birmingham and the area is Stechford B34.
I have just tried the l shape technic and this as help.
Also my water mix was a little bit of washing up liquid and white vingar.
So if i do leave a water line in the middle is it best to just blade it of and keep away from using the scrim?
What about leaded windows?

Regards Dave
Dave every time you use your blade wipe it, this will eliminate the line,your asking about,
also vinigar is an acid, and acid rots rubber over a period of time.

master cleaner

« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2006, 09:29:04 pm »
i live in rotherham so if you want any training in wfp or trad just say even if you come up here for a couple of hours you will save lots of time in the future
just say if you are interested

gary

DTS

« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2006, 11:41:49 pm »
Hi,

Anyone fancy showing me how its done trad for a day?
I have asked before but no offers yet.. im based in bromley kent.
Also that person would have to be patient because I am profoundly deaf.
Have not started work yet but will be door knocking very soon and praying for at least 10 house per week to start.

David

Paul Coleman

« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2006, 11:57:15 pm »
I'm in Crawley, Sussex.
I use WFP but I do a lot of ground floor work the trad way.  I'm only an hour away from you and would be happy to show you what I know (would take at least 5 minutes LOL)

DTS

« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2006, 01:40:25 am »
Hi Shiner,

I think I will take up your offer... Thanks! :D
Im sure it will only take you five mins but ill be asking loadsa Q's  ;D
It wont be for a couple of weeks though, maybe longer but I will email you in advance. My email is david@simmons6862.fsnet.co.uk in case you need it.

Dave

Paul Coleman

« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2006, 06:01:46 am »
Hi Shiner,

I think I will take up your offer... Thanks! :D
Im sure it will only take you five mins but ill be asking loadsa Q's  ;D
It wont be for a couple of weeks though, maybe longer but I will email you in advance. My email is david@simmons6862.fsnet.co.uk in case you need it.

Dave

OK Dave.
My email is infoxxx AT scrim.co.uk .
I've worded it like that as I don't want the address harvested by spambots.
Remove the xxx and substitute @ for AT - and drop any spaces.
You must remove the xxx otherwise it will be filtered out and won't be seen by me.

billozz

« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2006, 10:27:59 pm »
david,
i live in yardley, i dont work in that area i work abour 7-8 miles away in sutton, but would be willing to give you some tips if you like, let me know
regards
Bill
there are more windows than window cleaners so lets help each other

david68

« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2006, 03:48:24 pm »
Hi Bill
Yardley or sutton i will like to meet you for tips or a day out learning.
Email me at david68@blueyonder.co.uk
I will forward you my telephone number.
Thanks guys i couldn't ask for a better responce

Regards Dave
David

www.ccwin.co.uk

My learning hobby
www.dbritweb.com

david68

« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2006, 02:12:28 pm »
david,
i live in yardley, i dont work in that area i work abour 7-8 miles away in sutton, but would be willing to give you some tips if you like, let me know
regards
Bill
I would love to take you up on your offer, my email is david68@blueyonder.co.uk
Email me so i can forward you my contact details.
Thanks Dave
David

www.ccwin.co.uk

My learning hobby
www.dbritweb.com