PAUL ERITH

Van tyres is it worth buying a brand name ?
« on: April 13, 2013, 05:43:38 pm »
I have always bought pirelli or goodyear tyres for my cars because i find them really good but this is my first van, is it worth is for vans that don't do much motor way driving and mainly do small start stop trips  ???

Do you buy brand name tyres for you van or just the cheaper ones   ??? ???

Thanks Paul

dave0123

Re: Van tyres is it worth buying a brand name ?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 05:53:44 pm »
good commercial tyres...insurance companies wont insure otherwise
Dave.

evo

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 05:58:09 pm »
I have always bought pirelli or goodyear tyres for my cars because i find them really good but this is my first van, is it worth is for vans that don't do much motor way driving and mainly do small start stop trips  ???

Thanks Paul

buy brand new and the best you can afford don,t buy cheep tyres its not worth it

Mike #1

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2013, 06:53:29 pm »

Thanks Paul

Both crap tyres the rubber is to soft for the amount of miles you probably travel each week i do 250 miles a week and dont travel a wide radius .

You will be better off with  medium range tyres i have a an L200 and i do put good A/T tyres but the tread is twice as deep as normal H/T tyres done almost 20,000 miles on current tyres . Mike

PAUL ERITH

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2013, 06:59:11 pm »
pirelli tyres it is then  :D :D

rg1

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2013, 07:02:56 pm »

???  Since when did insurance companies ask what make of tyre you use?
The pen is mightier than the sword (and a lot easier to write with!)

AuRavelling79

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2013, 07:06:57 pm »
They should be van rated (not car rated) if you are driving a car derived van. Especially with the weight of water on board.

As long as the tyres are UK legal fitted to MOT standard and within original manufacturers specs on size and strength (van rated) there should be no insurance issues.
It's a game of three halves!

rg1

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2013, 07:13:48 pm »
They should be van rated (not car rated) if you are driving a car derived van. Especially with the weight of water on board.

As long as the tyres are UK legal fitted to MOT standard and within original manufacturers specs on size and strength (van rated) there should be no insurance issues.

Well I thought it went without saying that you fit commercial tyres to a commercial vehicle but obviously that's not the case.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2013, 07:17:55 pm »

Well I thought it went without saying that you fit commercial tyres to a commercial vehicle but obviously that's not the case.

Well yes, but take a doblo or berlingo and you could fit car rated tyres which might have higher speed ratings than a van but not be suitable for the heavier loads we carry. With my Doblo I always get van rated due to payload.

I'm not fussed about "performance" as much as wear.

It's a game of three halves!

rg1

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2013, 07:27:26 pm »

Well yes, but take a doblo or berlingo and you could fit car rated tyres which might have higher speed ratings than a van but not be suitable for the heavier loads we carry. With my Doblo I always get van rated due to payload.

I'm not fussed about "performance" as much as wear.

Understand what you are saying and I wasn't trying to be funny, but you shouldn't be fitting car tyres to a van..period. If you were involved in an accident, insurance policy could be void due to inappropriate tyres being fitted.

♠Winp®oClean♠

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2013, 07:51:53 pm »
www.blackcircles.com

budget van tyres "reinforced"

Used 'em for a few years now, brilliant!

robertphil

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2013, 07:56:29 pm »
some of these small  vans  don't have  commercial tyres on them from new.   im talking about Berlingos at any rate.  best tyres on a berlingo are Federal make, last ages and are proper commercial tyres ,12 ply I think
 my current berlingo hasn't got these on it and only as im lookin to swap it fer a crewvan or id be putting Federals on it 

EandM

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2013, 07:58:39 pm »
Commercial tyres for vans are more about weight capacity than handling / grip. What usually makes tyres expensive is their speed rating and as very few vans have a very high top speed and also considering that many, including my Ranger, are restricted by the commercial speed limits then that's not an issue either. I asked the chap balancing my Ranger wheels if it was worth paying for good brand name tyres / better quality and he said no. Tyres on 4x4 pick ups and other large commercials are easy to put out of balance owing to the very large amount of rotating rubber and as even cheaper brands come with about 10mm of tread and won't be cornered / braked or accelerated hard then there's very little to be gained from spending serious money.

windowcleaninginessex.co.uk

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2013, 08:03:24 pm »
Make sure they are van or commercial  tyres, I think it's 8 ply, it's for the weight
---THE BEST YOU CAN GET---
www.windowcleaninginessex.co.uk

scottt24

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2013, 08:15:31 pm »
Tyre fitter told me that as long as the load capacity of tyres is more than what you're carrying then you are fine
So small vans may not need extra load tyres
Thanks,
              Scott

PAUL ERITH

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2013, 08:31:14 pm »
Just looked at pirelli tyres and they are rated at 550 kg each this should be enough  ;) ;)

one eyed window cleaning

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2013, 08:52:16 pm »
Toyota Hiace comercial tyre £35 fitted, so long as its comercial and the tread pattern matches thats good for me;-)
In the land of the blind the one eyed man is King.

wpclean

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2013, 08:53:22 pm »
Have a look at this site, has saved me a few quid -- www.tyre-shopper.co.uk

Gav Camm lammy 283

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2013, 10:36:11 pm »
Don't scrimp on tyres continentals
All round you've only got one life !!
LET YOUR PANES BE MY PLEASURE

"If CALSBERG did WINDOW CLEANING
 it would be C.C.C  Probably the best WINDOW CLEANERS IN THE WORLD ..........."

Dave Willis

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2013, 08:03:22 am »
I had budget tyres on my Hiace - lasted 6000 miles before they scrubbed out on the front. Just fitted Michelins all round. Hoping they last longer. I had two garages look at the front tyres and both said the same - budget tyres, crap, tracking is ok it's the crap tyres.

EandM

« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2013, 11:58:42 am »
The only problem I've found with cheap tyres is that they're often not actually round but more oval - that plus de-laminating and bulging.  As for safety, even the cheapest tyres on sale have to pass a British Standard Test.

Mist A Bit

« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2013, 07:02:34 pm »
I had budget tyres on my Hiace - lasted 6000 miles before they scrubbed out on the front. Just fitted Michelins all round. Hoping they last longer. I had two garages look at the front tyres and both said the same - budget tyres, crap, tracking is ok it's the crap tyres.
is your tracking out, i got budget tyres on my hiace and done well over 20,000 on them and still look full of tread

Fin Clearview

« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2013, 09:13:57 pm »

???  Since when did insurance companies ask what make of tyre you use?

Sounds like someone's being mugged by their insurance company!

dazmond

« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2013, 10:50:53 pm »
i just get budget tyres for my van as i only do around 2500 miles a year in it.never have a problem.tyres are tyres.they all have to pass tests to make sure their roadworthy.

i have got michelin tyres on my sports car though but i drive that at much higher speeds!! ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D
price higher/work harder!

dave0123

« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2013, 11:23:10 pm »
Sounds like someone's being mugged by their insurance company

y does it? if they can get out of paying from anything they will... they wont even pay out if u have signs on the van and u havent told them.. so i don't think thed think twice about tyres
Dave.

Fin Clearview

« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2013, 11:44:49 pm »
Sounds like someone's being mugged by their insurance company

y does it? if they can get out of paying from anything they will... they wont even pay out if u have signs on the van and u havent told them.. so i don't think thed think twice about tyres

Never have I seen a policy stating 'good commercial tyres'. Where have you seen that?

PureClean Window Cleaning Ltd

« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2013, 11:50:05 pm »
I would highly recommend michellin energy. They last ages.

dave0123

« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2013, 11:55:07 pm »
i havent, but been told
Dave.

PoleKing

« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2013, 08:58:42 am »
Conti's on my last van.
Got 20k out of them-awesome tyres.
This one came with Goodyears.
Done 17k and they hardly look touched!
Not quite as grippy as the Conti's but not far off.
I wouldn't touch budgets-if you look at cost per mile of decent tyres compared to budgets it's just not worth it. Especially with a full load on.
www.LanesWindowCleaning.com

It's just the internet. Try not to worry.

♠Winp®oClean♠

« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2013, 09:06:38 am »
Conti's on my last van.
Got 20k out of them-awesome tyres.
This one came with Goodyears.
Done 17k and they hardly look touched!
Not quite as grippy as the Conti's but not far off.
I wouldn't touch budgets-if you look at cost per mile of decent tyres compared to budgets it's just not worth it. Especially with a full load on.

Wrong. Budget tyres are more often than not a harder compound rubber, resulting in slightly less grip but more miles!! ;) My van tyres are "junyu"- reinforced van tyres. Less than half the price of the Goodyears before & last twice as long. Zero noticeable grip difference.

PoleKing

« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2013, 09:38:48 am »
Each to their own.
I personally wouldn't scrimp on my 'only contact with the road'
A tyre at a quarter of the price?!
Not worth the risk IMO for something that is tax deductable anyway.

♠Winp®oClean♠

« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2013, 02:38:53 pm »
Each to their own.

Spending unnecessarily to reduce your tax bill is false economy- the maths don't add up. It's a myth & any accountant will tell you the same. ;)

Why didn't you buy a van for double what you paid for your current one? Why don't you buy 2 vans?

rg1

« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2013, 02:53:55 pm »
As far as I'm aware, many budget tyre brands are sub-brands made by leading manufacturers which means they have access to the research and development of their parent company to produce value tyres without the price tag.

So budget doesn't always mean low quality, but it does mean good value.

PoleKing

« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2013, 06:15:08 pm »
W@9ip(6r0-not what I meant.
I spend the extra cause I think they're worth it.

Mike #1

« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2013, 07:02:37 pm »
Each to their own.

Spending unnecessarily to reduce your tax bill is false economy- the maths don't add up. It's a myth & any accountant will tell you the same. ;)

I enjoy spending money unnecessarily to reduce my tax bill Good Tyres , Carbon Poles , Expensive work clothes and making sure i have what i need for myself as a business owner .

I would much rather i benefit from my hard work than giving HMRC more money than i need to  ;D ;D ;D . Mike

scud

« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2013, 10:36:51 pm »
  Scrap yard tyres are where it is at! Just put a full set of virtually new tyres on my Berlingo, cost me £60 total including getting them fitted.

As for van rated tyres, you can get 5 100kg adults in a Berlingo car, that is as much weight as what I carry so why do I need uprated tyres just because it is a van?

PoleKing

« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2013, 10:52:32 pm »
Scud-2nd hand tyres can definitely invalidate your insurance.
I read up a bit after reading a sign in Kwik Fits a few years ago.
Obviously your call though