Moderator David@stives

Disaster strikes
« on: January 13, 2006, 01:27:31 pm »
Today while cleaning a customers windows ,my A-frame ladder slipped and shattered the plastic window ledge on the corner .
The trouble is my insurance excess is £250 and to replace the ledge the window has to come out and a new ledge fitted.
I thought about covering the ledge with an over sill. but the drainage holes are underneath and they would get blocked up.

Roy Harding

Re: Disaster strikes
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2006, 01:35:08 pm »
Sorry Dave

Accidents do happen, but it allways smarts a bit when it hits the pocket. :(

Hope you get it fixed allright.

All the best Roy

preston powerblast

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2006, 03:48:53 pm »
OUCH.
If the window has to come out its going to cost plenty.
Hope you get sorted.

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2006, 04:02:25 pm »
Dave,

Wor Lass once put her A-Frame on a customer's door (not the frame) to clean the window above.

The customer then opened the door!

Luckily enough she's a hefty lass and broke Wor Lasses down-ward forward momentum with her ample bossom.  It hurt her though.

Later, Wor Lass claimed she'd put her A-Frame on the door-frame and it slipped onto the door.

Luckily enough no real damage was done to this customer (now ex; unsurprisingly).

It took me ages to stop laughing.

You've still got to be carefull on A-Frames!  Still it could've been much worse, Dave...
It could've happened to me! ;)

Morph

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2006, 04:24:27 pm »
After reading your post, "Why do we bother", this happens!

Sorry Dave.  See if you can come to an amicable arrangement.  Accidents do happen.

Pj

gibbouk

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2006, 05:29:13 pm »
i have come across a couple of firms that repair upvc. they had a load of work on a building site i worked on. its got to work out cheaper than replacing the whole thing. check yellow pages, i think its a franchise operation

Jake

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2006, 05:56:25 pm »
Think that would be a firm like 'plastic surgeon', worth a try

Jake
Exeter, Devon

matt

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2006, 06:10:48 pm »
david

THIS ONLY APPLIES IF ITS UPVC REPLACEMENT WINDOWS,  if they are built into the house when new, its not this easy

its not a big job, its a 2 hour job max

I speak as a carpenter who worked for a few years for the MOD, and when the familys would move from GERMAN homes they would have BIG massive sofa's etc, and we would have to take the front window out

it really is a fairly easy job for 2 people, Get a stanley knife, cut the Silicone outside, open the windows and unscrew the screws holding it in, now get your stanley knife and cut the sealant around the inside of the window, then get a Bit of timber and a lump hammer and tap the frame in each corner till it starts to move
IF the window has a big pain of glass in the middle, its better to take that out, just pop the beads out

then unscrew the sill and change it

2 blokes, 2 hours and a length of sill ( pop and ask a local UPVC window installer for the length you need)

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2006, 06:48:01 pm »
Matt

This customer is a right mrs bouquet and it looks as if the window is recessed behind the render.

I have fitted upvc windows in the past, and know the problems you can face ,unless you are geared up for it ,it could be a nightmare running around for tools silicones ,new sill etc .

I think my time would be better cleaning windows and just cough up for the job to be done.

Thanks for your good advice though

stuart howes

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2006, 11:14:49 pm »
o dear :-[
cant you see if they can use their  house insurance and you pay the ex s ???

mark dew

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2006, 12:39:48 am »
o dear
cant you see if they can use their  house insurance and you pay the ex s 

lol
bit cheeky ain't it??

Londoner

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2006, 09:18:33 am »
David    You just have to pay up and be grateful she isn't screaming for compensation !
By the way, I thought you were an out and out WFP man. What were you doing with a ladder in the first place?

I know its only a little point but when we talk about ladderless window cleaning we always give the example of operator safety. The truth is that ladders blow over most often when you are not on them and always manage to land on something expensive.

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2006, 10:52:17 am »
David    You just have to pay up and be grateful she isn't screaming for compensation !
By the way, I thought you were an out and out WFP man. What were you doing with a ladder in the first place?

I know its only a little point but when we talk about ladderless window cleaning we always give the example of operator safety. The truth is that ladders blow over most often when you are not on them and always manage to land on something expensive.

Good point .I only use wfp on tops at the moment,i thought it would be an easier transition for the customers.

We had 2 operaters on that job and only one could use the pole.
I will have to consider getting 2 pumps on the vehicle soon

macc

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2006, 06:07:25 pm »
dave. if u know a local chippy the window sil can be chenged with out taking the window out its bad luck mate that it has happened 2 u but it can be sorted, its not the end of the world it should only take a hour or 2 to sort. good luck mate

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2006, 06:11:41 pm »
The render needs chipping away arond the sides of the sill then determine where the screws are for the sill and try to saw them ,then try to lever out the ledge ,there may be a lip at the back edge.

Extract ledge then try to find a match up then saw off lip on rear of sill refit replace render then silicone up .

That is the easy way ..

I dont even want to think about the hard way     :'(