stevef

Do you clean the frames every time?
« on: January 07, 2006, 10:37:50 am »
Reading the post on how much water do you use made me think. Do you clean the frames on every clean, I was thinking mostly about upvc windows. I tend to clean the tops every time and of course the sides are done automaticaly. but if you were to clean the glass only this would save time and water, but would it still give good results? so what do you guys do?

Steve

Bob McKillop

Re: Do you clean the frames every time?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2006, 11:05:57 am »
I have been using wfp for a year now, and what I do is:

First clean - All the frames

Thereafter - Just the edges of the frames when cleaning the window, then only the glass when rinsing.

If there is a frame between panes, especially below then you have to clean the frame as water will run over it.

General rule of thumb is 'If it gets wet make sure it is clean!' or you will get streaks.

If I can avoid it though, I don't touch the frames.

gaza

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2006, 07:22:40 pm »
NOW NEVER CLEAN THE TOPS OF THE FRAMES,JUST ADDS TO PROBLEMS

GAZA
IM AT THAT AGE MY BACK GOES OUT MORE THAN I DO

pjulk

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2006, 11:27:16 pm »
I use WFP and clean the frames everytime.
I never get any problems doing it this way and it takes seconds to do.

When i was traditional i used to clean the frames then to.
I charge good prices so give a good service, and that includes frames.
At the end of the day im happy knowing i have done a good job.

The only time i didn't do frames was if its flakey paint or oxidised aluminium

Paul

stevef

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2006, 10:33:28 am »
Paul I agree with you, I to charge well and clean the frames
every time as part of the deal ,and after 14 months WFP
I have not had one complaint so we must be doing somthing right. It's nice to know what others are doing
though

Steve

Morph

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2006, 10:43:37 am »
I always cleaned the frames the old way.  Changed to wfp 3 months ago, a friend said avoid touching the frames because it just activates the dirt which will come running onto the window after you've gone.  And I've read loads on here from guys saying the same thing.
So I tried when I started, to avoid the frames, just getting into the corners.  But it quickly started to irritate me, I kept thinking why?  Surely if you give all the frames a good clean, every time, eventually you just have to get spot free windows.
So I clean the frames as thoroughly as I can every time, the glass seems to be coming up better, easier every time as a result, and no dirty frames to worry about.
The old adage surely doesn't change: "If a job is worth doing, it's worth doing well!"

Pj

Paul Coleman

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2006, 10:58:25 am »
I always cleaned the frames the old way.  Changed to wfp 3 months ago, a friend said avoid touching the frames because it just activates the dirt which will come running onto the window after you've gone.  And I've read loads on here from guys saying the same thing.
So I tried when I started, to avoid the frames, just getting into the corners.  But it quickly started to irritate me, I kept thinking why?  Surely if you give all the frames a good clean, every time, eventually you just have to get spot free windows.
So I clean the frames as thoroughly as I can every time, the glass seems to be coming up better, easier every time as a result, and no dirty frames to worry about.
The old adage surely doesn't change: "If a job is worth doing, it's worth doing well!"

Pj

What I do and intend to keep doing (thanks to stuff I've read on here) isd to continue ding all the frames.  I didn';t do this with traditional cleaning but will with WFP.
I'm near the end of my first WFP cleans now - and some jobs have now had a second WFP clean.
On the first clean I did the frames only then I went back to the start of the job.  This gave the dirty water from above the frames a chance to finish dripping dow.  If I had several jobs close to each other, I would do all the frames first.  Then I went round and did all the upper floor glass.  I usually did trad on the ground floor but, now that I have better water supply arrangements, I am starting to use WFP more and more on the ground floor.

On the second WFP clean, I am doing the frames and glass in one go as it should be pretty clean above the frames after the first clean (is this acceptable?).  If I don't do the frames each time, eventually the build up of dirt will occur above the frames and I'll end up with the same problem that I started with (dirt running down from the top).  The only exceptions to are windows with vents above the glass.

Morph

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2006, 02:13:40 pm »
Yep.  Watch those vents!!

Pj

s.hughes

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2006, 03:33:43 pm »
Yep. Watch those vents!!

Pj
What is the problem with the vents? Does the water get through or does loads of dirt come out of it?

Cheers
Steve

poles apart

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2006, 04:37:04 pm »
Both really, but the biggest problem is that they hold dirt and then kindly release it when you thought you'd cleaned it thoroughly and have left the site!

stevef

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2006, 06:06:35 pm »
I have to say that I clean the tops vents and all every time, so longas you wash and rinse well there should be no dirt left to run down the glass! as I said before no complaints
yet. And for the amount of time it takes I think it's worth
the extra few moments spent.(cant see why not to do it)

Paul Coleman

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2006, 06:29:28 pm »
Yep. Watch those vents!!

Pj
What is the problem with the vents? Does the water get through or does loads of dirt come out of it?

Cheers
Steve

I've never tried it because of what I'vew read on here but the verdict seems to be that water keeps dripping down after you think you've finished the job.

stevef

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2006, 08:48:10 pm »
But surely cleaning the frames as well is one of the advantages of using WFP

kingfisher

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2006, 09:01:23 pm »
But surely cleaning the frames as well is one of the advantages of using WFP

Yes it is and also a good selling point when loking for new customers.

I hate those dam vents but if you give them a realy good scrubing the first time you wont  have too many problems on following cleans least I dont seem to.

kev

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2006, 09:05:01 pm »
One of my customers had new windows with vents fitted 4 weeks ago .On this one i will start scrubbing the vents and i will report on them to let you know how they fair as apposed to mucky ones

Dave

jon adams

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2006, 09:36:46 pm »
Get this one, i cleaned wooden double glazed windows with vent above middle pane going straight through hence woman came out saying im very cross with you as water went on her ready to post xmas cards,  :o Life is never simple.
Jon

s.hughes

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2006, 10:38:51 pm »
Get this one, i cleaned wooden double glazed windows with vent above middle pane going straight through hence woman came out saying im very cross with you as water went on her ready to post xmas cards, :o Life is never simple.
Jon
Thats what i've heard. If you clean the vents then the water will go inside. Its good to get all the dirt out of them but some of it could turn up on their cream carpets. Now that what I've heard, or is this just not the case.

Steve

Morph

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2006, 11:17:09 pm »
No problem cleaning the outside top of vents, but once water gets into the vents themselves, even if you don't wet inside the house, the dirt will just start dripping out from the big cavity gradually back onto the window below. 
So wash around the vents and ontop of them but try to keep the inside of them free, unless they have a good tight grill thing that you can just scrub with the brush without rinsing.  Main thing is not to leave water dripping from the inside of old vents.

Pj

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2006, 03:21:34 pm »
give frames a really good scrub the first time and let your customers know there may be a little streaking but if your thorough enough you souldnt have any grief and next time no worries at all

jeff evans

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2006, 08:29:22 pm »
YOU GUYS WHO CLEAN THE FRAMES EVERY TIME AND HAVE NO PROBLEMS.
WHEN YOU RINSE DO YOU RINSE FROM THE TOP OF THE FRAMES,OR DO YOU JUST RINSE THE GLASS.HOW LONG ROUGHLY DO YOU RINSE ON AN AVERAGE SIZE WINDOW SAY 4FT ACROSS.
IM JUST STARTING OUT WITH WFP AND WANT TO CUT MY PROBLEMS DOWN TO A MINIMUM.

CHEERS JEFF.

Morph

« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2006, 08:39:30 pm »
I'M NEWISH TOO, BuT I geT GoOd reSUlts on A WInDow tHat size by STartinG with
 thE FRAme and rinsing from side to side...4' + frame = about 5 seconds.

Pj

craig jwc

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2006, 09:04:43 pm »
I always clean the frames plus the top of the vents.

Never had a problem with dirt dripping down after i have gone.

Or should i say no one has ever said anything about dirt dripping down.
I've never noticed any when i have gone back again for a clean either.

Cleaning the frames everytime has been a big selling point to me but i used to clean the frames before i had wfp.

Craig

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2006, 02:41:28 pm »
YOU GUYS WHO CLEAN THE FRAMES EVERY TIME AND HAVE NO PROBLEMS.
WHEN YOU RINSE DO YOU RINSE FROM THE TOP OF THE FRAMES,OR DO YOU JUST RINSE THE GLASS.HOW LONG ROUGHLY DO YOU RINSE ON AN AVERAGE SIZE WINDOW SAY 4FT ACROSS.
IM JUST STARTING OUT WITH WFP AND WANT TO CUT MY PROBLEMS DOWN TO A MINIMUM.

CHEERS JEFF.

rinse from top of frame, but if there are vents and they have stopped dripping,rinse from just below.

jeff evans

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2006, 08:43:07 pm »
THANKS GENESIS,SUPPOSE IT SHOULDENT BE ROCKET SCIENCE BUT ITS THE LITTLE THINGS THAT MAKE THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN GETTING IT RIGHT FIRST TIME.
 CHEERS JEFF.