cd5000

HOW MUCH SHOULD I CHARGE
« on: January 05, 2006, 06:37:23 pm »
I HAVE JUST BEEN ASKED TO CLEAN A LARGE SUPERMARKET, I WILL BE USEING
MY REACH & WASH SYSTEM, THIS MY FIRST BIG JOB, THERE A :DRE 148 WINDOWS
TO BE CLEANED ONCE A MONTH.
CAN ANYBODY ADVISE ME HOW MUCH SHOULD I CHARGE PER CLEAN?

THANKS

STEVE

jon adams

Re: HOW MUCH SHOULD I CHARGE
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2006, 07:35:51 pm »
Work out how long it will take to clean with sgueegee in man hours, obviously you will be cleaning inside with sgueegee anyway. then charge hourly rate your happy with and depending on other people pricing, say £20-£25 per man hour. Remember its an early start at least once a week even when its chucking it down so most of it will be extra money you earn each week and you should get a cheap breakfast in a warm staff canteen at end. Sounds good  :)

cd5000

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2006, 02:28:14 am »
thanks jon

steve

Ian_Giles

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2006, 06:44:37 am »
I gereally agree with Jon, Price it up exactly as you would if doing the whole job trad.
But, or at least in my neck of the woods, a rate of just £25 per hour is really low, way low!!

It does somewhat depend on what you mean exactly by 148 windows too; are there lots of big, plate glass panes? Or lots of little windows?
What is the average size of each window?

And how many of them are being cleaned inside too?

Insides of supermarket windows can be a real pain, often lots of advertising to take off, adhesive to remove, various displays to shift before you can even get at the glass and so on.

My own charge rate, as a general rule, is £1.00 per window, and on commercial work I would expect that to be worth £50 an hour or very close to it.

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

JM123

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2006, 12:46:26 pm »
£1 a window per side - you'll get the outside done in no time but the inside will take ages.  I think I'd work out how long it'd take to do the inside then double that, but again as Ian said, £25 an hour is too low - typically I charge 40 to 50 an hour for commercial.  Remember, you have to have 5million£ public liability cover for most commercial work, you need to account for that into your prices.
Live life in the fast lane.......if you break down you'll freewheel further

Ballymena N.I

cd5000

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2006, 06:14:23 pm »
THE SUPERMARKET I HAVE BEEN ASKED TO CLEAN, HAVE TOLD ME I MUST HAVE
10 MILLION PUBLIC LIABILITY WHICH IS GOING TO COST ME £450, I CAN'T UNDERSTAND WHY SO HIGH, ANYBODY OUT THERE WHO KNOWS

STEVE ???

Ian_Giles

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2006, 06:54:38 pm »
Contact the supermarket and ask them to justify why you need 10 million?
You're a window cleaner and won't even be climbing ladders.

What the hell do they want you to have 10 million for?
What on earth is the point of that?

If they insist, then price up the job first and add the extra you would have to pay into the cost of the job over 12 months.

Bloody expensive public liability, have you shopped around?

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

Paul Coleman

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2006, 07:10:54 pm »
THE SUPERMARKET I HAVE BEEN ASKED TO CLEAN, HAVE TOLD ME I MUST HAVE
10 MILLION PUBLIC LIABILITY WHICH IS GOING TO COST ME £450, I CAN'T UNDERSTAND WHY SO HIGH, ANYBODY OUT THERE WHO KNOWS

STEVE ???

As Ian suggests, shop around for the PL insurance.  I have 5 million for about £180.  That's probably beatable too.

jon adams

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2006, 07:30:31 pm »
My insurance is over £600, but in cludes employers liability for £5mill. Check with supermarket stating that £5 is the trade standard. My insurance is just over £12 per week and you can do a lot of jobs in a week. Charge what you like but if you are too greedy you might not win contract, depends how badly you want the job. Remember it will all be extra profit come rain or shine and will help to get you known as a reputable wc. Also after a time you will learn how to cut corners without anyone noticing. Good luck, dont forget the BREAKFAST

Jon