Morph

SPOTS????? If only!!
« on: January 04, 2006, 11:51:04 pm »
Well what a way to start back.

Big new job yesterday.  New building (that's the problem, I think).
Spent all day yesterday wfp on it.  Back today to finish off.   After I'd finished, I went to see what yesterday's work looked like...
Aaaaaarrrggghhhh!
Spots?  If only!   It looked like someone had chucked a bucket of dirty water with glue over nearly every window!  I told the Contractor that the windows had not been cleaned at all since the building had been completed.  So there had been no handover clean done.  The white pvc frames were green with building site dust!  And the glass was as you would expect on a building site.  They led me to believe the windows had already been cleaned.   No way!

I don't know what to do.  I've put them in the picture, but they're giving nothing away at the moment.  This is new wfp ground for me.  Will they eventually clean up?  The place is almost inacessable with a ladder, so trad is almost impossible, otherwise I would get the old mop and squeegee out.

Any advice much appreciated.

Pj

ps. And don't tell me get a Thermopure, it will take 22 years to pay for itself!

gaza

Re: SPOTS????? If only!!
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2006, 12:06:13 am »
morph:green with dust? got three to do on friday,but never had a problem with the show houses before,so should be ok. New windows shouldnt have been a problem
because they are usually covered with plastic film just before they are fitted,so you should be strait on to brand new glass,are you sure its not a buildiong clean youve priced up for?

gaza
IM AT THAT AGE MY BACK GOES OUT MORE THAN I DO

Morph

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2006, 12:11:34 am »
Yep.  I didn't price for it, but that's what it is.  A building clean.
They asked for a regular maintenance clean.  but they didn't tell me that it hasn't been cleaned at all.  What should I do?

What should I quote for a building that will take 2 days to clean as a regular job with wfp?

KJG

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2006, 01:28:46 am »
From what you've said, it certainly looks like the builders have skanked the owner out of a few grand by not having a builders clean done. Can you get inside to have a closer look at the windows? Are there sticker marks etc still on the glass. If so, the only thing I can suggest is that you take the new owner round, show him and politely tell him what's what - there's been no builders clean and you didn't quote for one. If it can't be laddered then the only option for a scrape 'n scrub clean is a cherry picker.

What a shame it's left up to you, but unless it's a big company, I can't see them splashing out a few grand for a clean. And I don't like, "but they're giving nothing away at the moment" either!!!

PS: Slightly off topic - I think there should be a permanent thread here about the ins and outs of builders cleans. Until I'm in a position to employ an in-house lawyer, choke, I wouldn't touch one with a water fed barge pole.

Morph

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2006, 08:42:21 am »
So, any suggestions as to what I should do?

You long - time wfp users.....Will the windows eventually come up clean using wfp, even though they haven't had a builders clean up? 
The sticky labels have all been removed from outside, but not inside.

If I just persevere will it all clean up?  I know I've got to sort out the issue in the meantime with the company I'm dealing with, but I want the job.  It represents 2 days work every 8 weeks once the windows are sorted.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Pj

matt

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2006, 09:09:49 am »
yes it will come up clean

i did 1 B4 Xmas, i connected my hosepipe to the outside tap and cleaned them with tap water, spent a while on each, then after i had done the 2nd floor, i connected up the PURE WATER and cleaned them again as normal

repeated for the 1st floor

did ground the trad way

they came up OK-ish, still a odd mark on them, a little cement, but i said i would scraper the bits next time

Morph

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2006, 01:11:56 pm »
Great tip!  Somebody loves me after all.
I'll try that.

Don't think I'll blade ground floor it's too big.  I'm getting lazy now with wfp at my fingertips.
Thanks Matt.

Pj

gaza

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2006, 09:15:34 pm »
MORPH:someones beaten me to it,but if you use the hose for tap water flush out well before you wfp with pure, cus tapwater  contaminates it and you will end up with spots{no not you,the windows} ;D

gaza

Morph

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2006, 09:51:38 pm »
Thanks Gaza. Yep I'd thought of the flush.  Worth it though.
How you doing these days, since you set fire to your last van?

Pj

gaza

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2006, 10:27:51 pm »
SET FIRE TO MY LAST VAN? SHHHHH! DONT TELL THE  INSURACE ;D,ITS BEEN A  ANUS HORRIBULL 05,MORPH GETTING BACK ON TRACK ONE VAN AINT BIG ENOUGH AFTER UVE HAD  A LONG WHEELED TRANNY TO SET UP IN,TRYING TO FIT IT INTO A DAF P/O VAN,DONT KNOW HOW PEEPS RUN OUT OF BELINGOS ETC,MUST HAVE A LEVELS IN VAN PACKING.

06 IS GETTING OFF TO A GOOD START,SO HOPE ITS AS GOOD FOR YOU.

GAZA