ztech

employees worth
« on: January 03, 2006, 05:41:11 pm »
been using wfp for 1 year picking up speed all the time.im about to employ someone .can anyone tell me by what persentage their earnings have increased since taking on an employee
playboy window cleaner

Ian_Giles

Re: employees worth
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2006, 06:34:35 pm »
Not quite able to work out what you mean with your question?

the minimum wage is just over a fiver an hour, someone will come up with the exact figure I'm sure, it's no more than £5.20. Less for those between the ages of 18 and 21.
Not that you'll keep anyone for long cleaning windows on that sort of income.

With the cost of Employers liability, and all the other hassles of PAYE it isn't a route I have any intention of going  down, but good for you if you have enough good paying work to justify it. ;)

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2006, 06:42:12 pm »
Ztech,

Are you employing him above board?  Have you purchased employer's liability insurance and will you be paying their tax and NI contributions?

Or, are you taking him on as a 'self-employed' contractor; which I belive is illegal if they don't use their own tools, work to their own time, have their own public liability insurance and probably a few other indicators I can't think of.

I think as the law stands, if it's the latter, you could be in for some trouble.  But I know it's common practise, not just amongst window cleaners either.  I was talking to a painter and decorator recently who 'employed' two lads on a 'self-employed' basis.

I don't think he realised that if either of those lads were tax-investigated; he could be held responsible for paying their tax and national insurance and in-line for a tax investigation himself.

It's no good saying, 'but I only earn £20,000 per year', when you've been caught with two 'employees'.

jon adams

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2006, 08:19:00 pm »
Welcome to the world of hassle and greif, your extra profit will be negligible during the winter months unlike the moaning so wait until march. if your tempted to pay cash think about life behind bars for the sake of a few hundred quid. If your quicker with a pole how would you find enough work for 2 ???

andypandy

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2006, 08:30:31 pm »
i dont think you know what you are doing (Mod Note:  (Rest of post deleted) Andy you can make your point without being too over the top.  Tosh).

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2006, 08:42:40 pm »
Ztech may be doing it above board.

If he's not, I hope his employee isn't working at height.

Other than that it's his look-out.

kiral1404

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2006, 10:04:54 pm »
His going done the path i'd like to take hopefully mid-summer. I'm canvassing all the time residential. Once i have enough work on this basis (remember in theory). Ave price £10 maybe 400 customers over a 4 week cycle thus £4000 every 4 weeks. Pay employee £1200 or so, upto £300 liability, van ins etc you make £2,500 taxable for being a foreman as such. Might be out with some figures but even if you made 2k not bad and still get more work for yourself.

Tell me am i way out or does it sound achievable.

Ben Walker

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2006, 10:30:47 pm »
Ztech,

Are you employing him above board?  Have you purchased employer's liability insurance and will you be paying their tax and NI contributions?

Or, are you taking him on as a 'self-employed' contractor; which I belive is illegal if they don't use their own tools, work to their own time, have their own public liability insurance and probably a few other indicators I can't think of.

I think as the law stands, if it's the latter, you could be in for some trouble.  But I know it's common practise, not just amongst window cleaners either.  I was talking to a painter and decorator recently who 'employed' two lads on a 'self-employed' basis.

I don't think he realised that if either of those lads were tax-investigated; he could be held responsible for paying their tax and national insurance and in-line for a tax investigation himself.

It's no good saying, 'but I only earn £20,000 per year', when you've been caught with two 'employees'.

If you rent someone your equipment (and 'tell them which houses 'probably' want their windows cleaned without having to ask the owner first) -is this a way to get round it?!  ;D ???
(the rental price of the equipment is proportional to the work income of course!)

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2006, 07:41:11 pm »
good shout ben-chan.
'rent' the guy/girl a round and hire your kit.
work out the percentages to suit?
just an idea, not that i would ever dream of it mr tax man..sir ;D

S.C.S

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2006, 09:06:40 pm »
Hi just thought id add my little bit.
I myself have 3 lads working for me and im taking 1 more on in april when ive built another round up the best way i got around it was like you have just said rent them a round plus equipment i supply them with a round and a van sign written my company name of course but they pay there own tax national insurance and also other insurance they need it much more easy.
This is the route my dad took who is a window cleaner of 27 years and also my grandad took teh same route

hope this helps

andy

gaza

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2006, 11:31:32 pm »
GENISUS:NIL CARB AND ALL THAT STUFF MEANS DONT LET THE Bees grind you down
had a tie with it on once.
 gaza
IM AT THAT AGE MY BACK GOES OUT MORE THAN I DO

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2006, 02:59:54 pm »
GENISUS:NIL CARB AND ALL THAT STUFF MEANS DONT LET THE Bees grind you down