neil100

WFP What to do with the van when its frezzing cold?
« on: December 30, 2005, 09:17:42 pm »
I have had my new wfp system for two weeks. I'm waiting untill the new year to use it on my round. But I have had this week off, with it being co cold its left me with a dilemma.

1. Do I invest in a heater with frost protection? I know this will stop things freezing up, but when you look at the posts running at the momment, Will it freeze when I start work anyway?

2. If I get a heater surley it must generate a great amount of condensation on the roof of the van, therefore the inside must be soaked through. It might not freeze but it will be wet through like a sauna. Not pleasent

3. Do I just let the van freeze up, If that happens will that put extra strain on the hose connections eventually leading to leaks or damage to the water pumps? I'm off out to the van now, 2 days of freezing cold temps and and a gap as appeared between the on demand switch and the flowjet pump,it is spraying water out if I put the pump on. I dont know if it has come loose as the ice as expanded.

All this money spent, lots of worry if the equipment can stand these cold temps, and I have not even started useing it yet.

Ladders do have some advantages, nothing to worry about.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Let me see if the the flowjet is fixable

Nel.

Roy Harding

Re: WFP What to do with the van when its frezzing cold?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2005, 07:12:17 am »
Hi Neil

I have used a glen fan heater for 2yrs, from Argos cost £15.

I would recommed you get one to protect your investment, as for condinsation very little at all.

Roy

Ian_Giles

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2005, 10:13:45 am »
I've got the same type of heater as Roy, about the same price from a local hardware shop.
Fan heaters produce dry air so will actually reduce not increase condensation.

Vans always suffer with condensation, the inside of the roof in particular, nothing to really worry about, it doesn't affectthe cab area.

But do get a heater in there! Not expensive to run if you have the luxury of being able to get power out to the vehicle, set it to the frost stat setting and it'll just turn on long enough to keep things above freezing.

As for using in cold weather; If it is so cold that the water is freezing in the jets or on the bristles of the brush then it is also more then likely to be too cold to clean trad (yeah, of course you can keep going with trad, windscreen wash in the water and so on..but who wants too!)

So far the only problems I have had is with the water freezing on the ground after I have washed the windows, and the temp has been around minus 4 at times (6.45am)
Easy enough to counter the problem of the water freezing on the ground, carry a bucket of road salt in your vehicle, only takes a moment to grab a handful and spray it across a path or patio (or pavement)

Make sure you don't let the membranes of an R/O system freeze! You'll either ruin them or reduce their life or efficiency!!

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

P @ F

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2005, 12:48:22 pm »
HELP ME ROY .......

I have got a glenn heater too , but i have lost the hand book and im not sure on which is the setting for frost protection ....
Can you either explain or put up a pic to show me ?

I IS A THICK DEVON FARMER !

Cheers Rich  P @ F   ::)
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

neil100

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2005, 01:30:19 pm »
How much electric do these fan heaters use an hour? Or average cost per night ?

How does the Frost protection work?

Nel.

Roy Harding

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2005, 03:50:08 pm »
Hi Rich

On the dial there is a Star then 1 2 3 etc the star is the frost setting.

Neil

The heater only cuts in now and again I havent even noticed a difference in our bill.

They are very good.

Roy