Who's up for this?
« on: December 23, 2005, 06:26:18 pm »
First of all Merry Christmas to all of you here    :)

Another year hard work behind us all and I hope a well deserved rest for a few days for us.

In Jan of this year I needed to go out and drum up a lot of new business quickly as I was taking on a partner and didnt have enough work for the both of us. The partnership is now gone ( dont do it folks) :) but we are still friends and both of us now make our own living out of window cleaning.

Me being me and being a few months down the WFP route I want to fill my spare capacity.. dump some not so well paying jobs and make next year a real winner window cleaning.

Unless you are starting early in the morning the working day during Jan isn't too long at all. So.. I plan to get out there for 2 hrs 3 to 4 evenings a week for a couple of hours and increase my earning capacity by £1000 every 4 weeks. Thats my target and I will do my best to achieve it. Last Jan I exceeded this by a long way so no real reason not to be able to do it this time around.

I posted my progress over on CP's as I went along. It helped me to share experience and to spur me on to get out there.

I reckon that a lot of us here could do well out of such an excercise and if we get a few who will commit to it and post progress we can help each other out when the going gets tough. If you are already full but would like better paying work why not go out and look for that?

Anyway I am going to do it and will post progress as I go along. It would be good to know that others are out there as well making the foundations for an even better 2006. 

What do you reckon ladies and gents? Are you up for it?

Cheers.

Andrew

D.Salkeld_Ltd

Re: Who's up for this?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2005, 10:03:31 pm »
Hi Andrew,

How long have you been in the Business?

Can I offer you some advise about this job?

1.  I realy admire your enthusiasm.  I remember you saying in a previouse post
"Wow! I love this job!!"

2.  Remember you are not only selling your work or tools, you are most of all selling yourself.  People want to know they can genuinley trust you to go around thier homes and clean thier windows without any worries at all.  Most of all:

BE HONEST! With the customer and yourself.

What do YOU want.  A quick buck, or a healthy living for life?

David Salkeld

20yrs in this trade April 2006
Not Perfect - But Honest

chris@c.m.s

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2005, 10:34:50 pm »
yep i think i'm up for that, I need to build my round up by at least  £1000  in the next 3 months then somehow summon up the energy to keep up with it  :-[
Sussex by the sea

matt

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2005, 11:01:01 pm »
i must admit, i would love to increase my round by 1 K a month

i really really would

BUT

i have a round that takes me 6 weeks to get around now, i earn a fair wage and Im happy with it, sure a few are underpriced and they need to be increased

BUT and this is what stops me doing what you are, which in effect is culling the less paying jobs

I have built up a round (sure i paid for it off 2 WC'ers, well a fair % of it ) my customers know i will return, they know i do a good job and they can trust me

its all very well chasing the better accounts and ditching the lesser accounts, but what abotu customer service, what about loyality etc etc if a recession hits us, my round is made up for older people and the richer in life, i feel they will be loyal to me and not at the first sign of hard times ditch me, sure i could be wrong, but i would hope the relationship i have built up in the last 3 years with them would help me

far too often people belive the hype, loads of work, they need us more than we need them, the professionals need not worry about getting work blah blah blah

Morph

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2005, 11:07:55 pm »
Some live to work...

Some work to live

matt

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2005, 11:11:23 pm »
i guess i am in the 2nd option ;)

though i would really like to earn a extra 1 K a month though, as i can then work only 2 days a week  ;) spend the extra day off working on the VW splittie van, now thats a idea and a half

chris@c.m.s

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2005, 11:26:02 pm »
The £1000 I need is to build my round not replace anyone  :) and I hope i'm providing customer service I took another job on at £3 yesterday for an elderly guy who couldnt afford for the whole house to be cleaned.
Sussex by the sea

chris@c.m.s

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2005, 11:38:17 pm »
I do think though if your going to drop houses you shouldnt just stop without an explantion I've heard lots say he just stopped coming, and i dont feel it gives window cleaning a good name, i had to quit a round about 15 years ago and every customer knew i was quitting and why.   
Sussex by the sea

Paul Coleman

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2005, 11:42:59 pm »
BUT and this is what stops me doing what you are, which in effect is culling the less paying jobs

I have built up a round (sure i paid for it off 2 WC'ers, well a fair % of it ) my customers know i will return, they know i do a good job and they can trust me

its all very well chasing the better accounts and ditching the lesser accounts, but what abotu customer service, what about loyality etc etc if a recession hits us, my round is made up for older people and the richer in life, i feel they will be loyal to me and not at the first sign of hard times ditch me, sure i could be wrong, but i would hope the relationship i have built up in the last 3 years with them would help me

You can believe the above as long as you want to about customers being loyal.  However, when I was ill for a long time over a period of a year and could only work in fits and starts (don't try saying that too fast :-)  ), a lot of them ditched me.  It was a real eye opener.  I spent money on a mailshot telling them all I was going to be ill for quite a while.  All I asked was that they let me know if they went elsewhere so that I wouldn't trouble them when I was fit again.  A lot of them couldn't even be bothered to do that much.  So much for loyalty.
Apart from a few special customers who I genuinely like a lot, I do not feel any particularl loyalty.  If I decide to move on from some work, I will attempt to place them with another window cleaner though.
I had a cancellation the other day from a customer who ditched me when I was ill and returned when I was better.  She even tried to beat the price down as i increased it.  Amnyway, the message was left on my answering machine.  I was delighted as she is a gate padlocker.  Another flat roof I don't have to climb over.  Great stuff.

Anyway, don't delude yourself Matt.  Although many will stick around in hard times, there are a lot who won't.  Also, it can be very surprising at times as to who stays and who goes.

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2005, 12:11:10 am »
OK folks. Its almost Xmas eve :)

David I have been at it for 2 years now. I gave up a much better paying but VERY stressfull life for this. I am a man of my word and am always open and honest. I am also very proud of what I do for a living and the reputation I have got.

I guess I worded this a little wrongly. Because of WFP I am now at least 40% faster so now I can easilly take on more customers and still offer the same regular level of service. I like to work.. I dont live for it but I want to make the best of the time I allow for work.

As to dumping. I am not talking about the good customers who appreciate my services. There is one that  do for nothing and a few that although the price isnt what I would like it to be are such nice people that I will keep them as long as they want me. I am talking about MR or MRs snooty who treat you like some servant and usually take their own sweet time about paying. When you are building up in this business I am sure we all get these sorts and as time goes on and we grow then we are in a position to say a fond farewell to them.

Yes a lot are loyal but I too have been surprised.. well a bit.. at the lack of it in some cases. I apreciate loyalty very much and will always return it but I am not blinkered or kidding myself about this. It takes a long time to build a business from scratch to get to the point where you can rest assured that you have the loyalty of the majority of your customers. This is a school of hard knocks and I am doing my best to minimise them.

Anyway you lot.

MERRY XMAS again to you all.

Andrew

matt

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2005, 09:07:12 am »

As to dumping. I am not talking about the good customers who appreciate my services. There is one that  do for nothing and a few that although the price isnt what I would like it to be are such nice people that I will keep them as long as they want me. I am talking about MR or MRs snooty who treat you like some servant and usually take their own sweet time about paying. When you are building up in this business I am sure we all get these sorts and as time goes on and we grow then we are in a position to say a fond farewell to them.

I see what you mean now, though as i brought ALOT of my work of a guy who was retiring and a guy moving away, i havent many customers who need "culling" as it was done B4 me

though i am waiting for the one who told me she would phone me after the winter to continue, even though i turned up after putting in a note for her to open the gate etc etc the day B4, her is going up by the amount i lost dureing the winter, she will have a bit of a shock  :P

chris@c.m.s

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2005, 12:02:46 pm »
Had one of those in november ask if i'd stop in the winter becuase its not worth it, i explaned that i was trying to make a living and my bills wont stop coming in the winter she told me to do the next clean and she will let me know, I do hope she doesnt mind dirty windows for christmas     
Sussex by the sea

Morph

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2005, 01:19:21 pm »
Well done Andrew for putting a positive spirited post up here, as the year comes to a chilly end.
I must admit it's going to be hard to get motivated again after the break, as Winter really begins!
Obviously if you're in business you can't rest on your laurels, and in window cleaning you have to continuously be adding new clients, commercial or domestic.  Even if you're not planning to expand.  It's that type of business.  I've been at it since November 1987.  A bad time to start.  And I made the leap into wfp November 2005.  A bad time to start!  !8 years later I still think the same way as I did when I began...If I can make it work through the worst time of year, it can only get better.
I don't plan too far ahead...Next month looks sorted.  I'll worry about the rest when it comes.   I'm not necessarily right, but that does it for me.
You seem more of a business man with a plan to me.  Nothing wrong with that either.  Wish I had your drive. 
Nothing personal meant here, just thought I'd share it because I like it.

This is not the chat line but I'm sure you know the story:

An old man came rowing back to the beach one sunny evening with his grandson.  They tied the little rowing boat up to the jetty, and unloaded the catch from an afternoon fishing.  A few local families gathered round as he set up his barbeque, and grilled a few fresh fish and shared a little with whoever asked.  The rest of the catch he sold for a few coins, and of he strolled with his granson back to their small home together.
Sitting on the beach was a wealthy holiday maker who observed the old man a couple of times during the week going through this same routine.
The next time the old man came rowing back to shore, the wealthy holiday maker approached him, admiring his catch, and introduced himself.  He told him he was a wealthy business man of some experience and that he wanted to give the old man some valuable advice that could increase his business, afford more boats, increase the catch and have many men working for him!
The old man asked how that would benefit him?
The wealthy wise business man told him how if he was willing to invest then he would eventually have more time to himself to do all the things that he really wanted to do!

Yep, you guessed...

The old man replied, "but I already have all the time I want.  And I'm doing exactly what I want to do!"
His grandson smiled at him as they gathered around the barbeque for sardines and sea bass.  It had been another good afternoon.

Nighty night ;)

Chris Cottrell

windolene

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2005, 06:38:11 pm »
Hi Andrew,

For the last 3 months my son Scott has been window cleaning with me, but come January I plan to send him out canvassing in evenings instead.  This way he will learn how to get work as well as cleaning it. When he passes his driving test I have advised him to call you regarding your trolley system as an entry level as I don't want him taking risks as I do.

Kevin Windolene.

neil100

« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2005, 07:16:08 pm »
ANDREW,

Your a man with a plan, good look to you, I know you will be very sucseffull , The design of your Freedom Trolley, and your positive attitude will bring you plenty of financial reward, satisfaction, and a very very low level of stress.

26 years of w/c and I have made a very good living, I have had quite a few people who have worked with me over the years. They have gone on to get university degrees, Become teachers, Lecturues, etc

But I have allways set goals every year in what I want to acheive. I decide the amount I want to earn for the year, and go and get it. It is very easy to drift along at w/c, and thats fine for some. I intend to carry on into my 70's at a more leisurely pace. I enjoy the outdoors, I could no longer work indoors.

This job keeps you young, my w/c mentor is now 60 hes a lot slower but he finds his body is continually moving at w/c. It helps to keep him fit and supple. Older people have a tendancy to vegeatate.

W/c is good for your bank balance, mind, And well being.

GO GET UM ANDY.

NEL.